Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone dropped in water

• 05-06-2012 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Any ideas on how to dry out an iphone dropped it in water over the weekend or should I just forget it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Blue41 wrote: »
    Any ideas on how to dry out an iphone dropped it in water over the weekend or should I just forget it?
    Get a container of rice and put your iPhone into it. tape over the headphone jack. it might wekl be a lost cause though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

swampy353 wrote: »
    Get a container of rice and put your iPhone into it. tape over the headphone jack. it might wekl be a lost cause though

also put it in the hot press, Good Luck man :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

This was tested on Channel 5's Gadget Show:
    http://www.save-a-phone.co.uk/

and apparently it worked a treat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Kenno90 wrote: »
    also put it in the hot press, Good Luck man :(

:eek:do no do this, do not put the iphone near a source of heat :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

OP I dropped mine in water over 2 weeks ago.

You can try the rice trick, because an iphoen is an expensive piece of kit I didnt like just waiting.
    So i brought mine to a place and they opened it waited for it to dry(over 5 days), still wouldnt work.
    so they cleaned contacts using iso-propyl and got it working PM me and i can send you details of the place I got mine repaired.
    I wont do it on thread as i dont want to be accussed of shilling.

Cost of repair €39

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Had this happen last week. Put it in rice, then in the hot press for a day or so. Worked perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I thought iphones could walk on water :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

better take it out of my pocket so ;)

Sorry should have been more clear, don't have it on the boiler as the heat can cause damage, but the hot press press is usually the driest room in the house which can help draw out moisture.

Having it on a shelf above the boiler should help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah it needs a moisture free place so the moisture inside will evaporate.
    I've seen hot press recommended before many times but never had to try this myself, fortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Blue41

Thanks for the tips its currently in rice and may do the hot press thing too. RobbietheRobber could you please send on the details Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Whatever you do, don't get a hairdrier to it. I exploded my iphone while drying it with a hairdrier :P Both the screen and the battery exploded

I've also seen carphone warehouse selling those "save a phone" kits

Whatever you do, don't get a hairdrier to it. I exploded my iphone while drying it with a hairdrier :P Both the screen and the battery exploded

Thats the worst thing you could do , that'll melt the phone :eek:

Thats the worst thing you could do , that'll melt the phone :eek:

Yup, i was frustrated with it not turning on. It was old anyway when it fell in water, so it didn't matter if I got it working or not :P

I was just giving the OP a warning not to do it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Friend of mine dropped his into the toilet, pee pee and all and left it in a tub of rice for a week and it worked perfect. Worth a shot.

Did he cook the rice after and eat it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

I had mine thrown in a toilet in a nightclub and did the tub of rice and hot press thing. it took about 4 weeks but it worked. I did get a new phone tho and gave my old one away and 6 months later its still going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Did he cook the rice after and eat it?

No, that would just be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mine went down the toilet.
    Removed the SIM and tray, then got a hoover and hoovered out all the openings (speakers, headphones, earpiece, etc).
    Then wrapped it in kitchen paper and into the hotpress for 24 hrs.
    Switched on and worked perfectly since.
    There are 3 bright tiny dots on the screen though. Works great other than that.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 alice302

first, shutdown your iphone, and dry it using some papers, then use a blower to dry it. if it also does not work, you may have to take it to fix.

• Advertisement

alice302 wrote: »
    then use a blower to dry it.
    I wouldn't do that TBH , someone posted they did that and the thing exploded :eek:

Or at least don't use hot air.

A hover :confused::confused: Can't say i've ever heard of that being used:P

OP let us know how your getting on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I wouldn't do that TBH , someone posted they did that and the thing exploded :eek:

Relativity is the key here.

The poster who exploded his phone was evidently using a very hot close range powerful blower ~ you'd really need a heat gun to explode your iPhone.

The warning about heat is to be taken seriously, a little warming, gentle warming will facilitate recovery.

gbee wrote: »

The poster who exploded his phone was evidently using a very hot close range powerful blower ~ you'd really need a heat gun to explode your iPhone.

The warning about heat is to be taken seriously, a little warming, gentle warming will facilitate recovery.

I was using a standard hair drier, nothing fancy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I had mine thrown in a toilet in a nightclub.

There are easier ways of being a perv ya know!!!:D

frag420 wrote: »
    There are easier ways of being a perv ya know!!!:D

Ya, become a priest

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

gbee wrote: »

It depends on the level of submersion. Apple engineers always told us NEVER to use a drier on it, because it blows the moisture into other places that it may not have got to before. They always advocated not switching on, and leaving in a bowl of rice in the airing cupboard for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

A hover :confused::confused: Can't say i've ever heard of that being used:P

I can't imagine a hover being any use tbh. I used a hoover though.:p

It gets rid of any drops or water stuck in the openings instead of blowing them further in with a blower. Dries quicker then with less water to evapotate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Hoover is your only man, then rice ;)
    15-30mins Hoover especially around the sim, headphone socket and dock area
    For more details check out the blog below
    http://irepair-ie.blogspot.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement