Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance for a girl

• 05-06-2012 8:13am

How much would insurance be in and around for an 18 year old girl on a 125cc motorbike with a permit/or full licence? I did the qoute up on the aon site with a full licence and it was 5000 this can't be right? I also checked with quinn and it was 580 would this be more right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

the 580 sounds good imo

if you can get insured for under 1k starting out, you're doing pretty well imo :) you being a gurl no doubt helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

aon do not like insuring new motorcycle drivers. i checked with them when i was 21 and they quoted me just over 4000. once you hit the 25 year mark then they are a reasonable option but until then i recommend going through liberty(quinn).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I thought that new rules for insurance companies ment that they can't discriminate on basis of gender..or does that only apply to health insurance.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Coming in December of this year Europe wide failing a appeal. Won't affect us much because males make up a huge percentage of motorbike drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

The only thing that will change, is that the current 'low' premiums currently being paid by the fairer sex, will just rise up to the same level as guys.. will do nout for the current price gents are paying
    Make no mistake.. the only ones that will benefit, are the insurance companies

• Advertisement

I also did it up as a guy just to see and it jumped by 300 euro, is this definitely coming in in December ya?

I also did it up as a guy just to see and it jumped by 300 euro, is this definitely coming in in December ya?

Yep, but on the plus side my car insurance is going to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I also checked with quinn and it was 580 would this be more right?

I'd jump on that i'm paying 978 provo licence 22M on a 250

juice1304 wrote: »

Thats good is that on quinn also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Thats good is that on quinn also?

Yes it's with liberty [quinn] I had gotten a better quote two months ago for around seven hundred and something but it seems to have gone up. too many people crashing in all the nice weather:p

• Advertisement

Do the liberty assessments make the much of a difference does anybody know? do they cost much to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Do the liberty assessments make the much of a difference does anybody know? do they cost much to do?

yeah they make a pretty big difference depending on how well you do. anywhere between 10 to 40 percent off i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

A bike trainer was telling me a while ago that they are only worth it if you do really well in the assessment. But I suppose over a few years it would pay for itself.

A bike trainer was telling me a while ago that they are only worth it if you do really well in the assessment. But I suppose over a few years it would pay for itself.

Mine paid for itself the first year. Its good training too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l.m

Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl with a 125cc, your quote on Quinn/Liberty is accurate and yes there was that big a gap between quotes with the other insurance companies. : )

l.m wrote: »
    Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl with a 125cc, your quote on Quinn/Liberty is accurate and yes there was that big a gap between quotes with the other insurance companies. : )

Thats great to know thanks! Il definetly be goin with them i 'd say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

juice1304 wrote: »

im with liberty on a zzr 400 im payin €850 im only gone 20

• Registered Users Posts: 24 poppster

Mine paid off in the 1st year itself. Got 30% off, and a refund in the middle of the year! I'd recommend doing additional training before doing the assessment.

I'd also say... don't just think about the cost of it in terms of money, because it's an investment in your 'life'...! The advanced training will make you a safer and more skillful rider, which in turn will help you avoid, or get out of sticky situations/possible accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Coming in December of this year Europe wide failing a appeal. Won't affect us much because males make up a huge percentage of motorbike drivers.

I can't help but wonder have some insurance companies started upping their prices already because of this. I paid €229 comprehensive last year and i received my renewal for this year - €371!(They've dropped it to €300 now) No changes in circumstances, no accidents or penalty points, that is a serious jump in price for a 12 year old 125! Between this, fuel prices and all the regulations and penalty point changes they want to bring in against motorcyclists it feels like they are trying to rid the road of us Bikers :(

OP €580 is a great price for starting out.

There are a number of reasons that insurance is going up. Motor insurers are part of a overall chain of insurance and reinsurance. They themselves are insured with the final result being huge capital houses that have huge amounts of cash and take fees to have the possibility of absorbing the losses. And these have taken huge hits so the higher costs have been moving down the chain so the capital can be rebuilt. Every part of insurance is going up because of it.

• Advertisement

A 62% increase is rather high though, i don't know how they can justify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

There has been an 18% increase by all insurance companys in the republic for motor bikes,plus take into account goverment levy for quinn ins and the higher vat rate,also if you pay by d.d the banks raised there costs too.

I was expecting an increase, but nothing on that scale. I always pay my insurance in full by credit or debit card so dd doesnt come into it. Looked through the insurance thread on here and i have yet to find one that increased by such a large amount.

Advertisement