Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House checklist

Options
  • 05-06-2012 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

When deciding on which area to purchase a house what are your criteria?

Schools, restaurants, proximity to work, public transport, ect.

Also for bonus points what areas have you found that meet these criteria?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Schools
    park/ close to nature
    enough bedrooms or expandable to fit the family we have planned
    good public transport
    2 bathrooms or more
    large bathtub or ability to install same
    garden with grass, not just pavement
    mature tree(s) in garden
    Plenty of storage space, be that wardrobes or utility room/ pantry etc

NOT necessarily close to work, as work location can change every few years.

Ranelagh is pretty close to ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

I am currently looking as well and had worked out a basic check-list for ourselves. It might be useful for you plus you and others can add on to it and help me as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Regarding the garden; room for a shed of some type, even a small wooden on, but preferably a brick one at the end of the garden (esp if you're the DIY type).

If near a major city, transport to it.
    A (local) pub within 40 minutes walk.
    enough bedrooms or expandable to fit the family we have planned
    Also, to add to the above; if you don't plan to have a family, to have a spare bedroom in case one appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Currently buying a house in Lucan... But this was some of our things.

Good area
    Good public transport
    Shops within walking distance (pub also a bonus)
    Big kitchen (love cooking / baking)
    Sitting room big enough to play the Kinect :)

Ideally somewhere where we don't HAVE to do any work for the first few months.

Schools definitely a plus for waaay in the future.

Plain garden so we can do what we like with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Location location, South facing garden, ideally south west. No major roads to cross on way to school, insulation, manageable garden, ample parking for me and visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Location location, South facing garden, ideally south west. No major roads to cross on way to school, insulation, manageable garden, ample parking for me and visitors.

Location, location, location :

Schools (decent one's) nearby, public transport accessible
    Good area that is not known for anti social behavior
    Noise pollution issues taken into account (i.e. adjacent roads, or shops / pubs etc.)

The property / building itself - energy (BER) rating is v. important - as the running costs for a house are going to be horrendous going forward in the years to come -
    As stillwaters mentioned - south facing garden - bringing natural light and passive solar gain, options for solar system, we'll insulated and or/ something with retro fit options for new energy systems & room at rear to extend should your family get bigger.
    Mike F

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

if in an area of the country where radon gas is a problem, then a radon gas barrier fitted, or at least testing done for radon gas. It literally can be a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Location, location, location :

Good area that is not known for anti social behavior
    Noise pollution issues taken into account (i.e. adjacent roads, or shops / pubs etc.)

Good area is important.

Plus as said walking distance to shops(even a convenience shop) and to a bus stop\train is vital, isolation in one of those estates away from civilisation is not good for your mental health. I'd consider these priority(based on location) and then next is line would be the usual features of the house itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gurramok wrote: »
    Good area is important.
    Something for the youngsters to do as well, preferably not right outside your house. This help stop some of the ant-social behaviour as it gives them something to do, and gives your family something to do in the future.

Advertisement