Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to US

Options
  • 05-06-2012 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been considering moving away for the last few months and the likes of Australia just does not appeal to me.

I have worked in a company since I finished my degree and have worked here for 5 years - but am I right in thinking that there is no visa that I could get that would allow me to move to America and be legal as opposed to being there illegally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There isn't a "just trying it out" visa, but you still have options, though not if your plan was to move very soon.

- Very popular amongst the Irish is the Diversity Visa, next sign up is in October and if successful, you'd move about a year later.
    - If your company is a multi-national with US offices, ask for a transfer (L1 visa)
    - If your job requires great skill/ experience, you could try to find a US employer to sponsor you (usually H1B visa, but there are others).
    - If you are interested in furthering your education, an F1 student visa is easy to get, but US college fees are high and you would only be allowed to work limited hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

i am doing a course through work at the minute, it is a professional cert in consumer credit, its NFQ LEvel 7 - if I passed that, would that make me eligible for the 12 month work visa?

Advertisement