Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dissident 'Republicans' disrupt olympic torch event in Derry.

• 05-06-2012 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Havent seen a thread about it yet, but these clowns felt thre need to stage a 'protest' at the Olympic torch event in Derry last night.

Apparently they were protesting about 'policing at the event', but I think we all know by now, these clowns will do anything for the limelight!

I'm disgusted that they felt the need to drag their pointless campaign into the historic event of the Olympic torch being carried through the city.

The people in the North have moved on from this crap, and I hope the eyes of the world realise that its a tiny minority of imbeciles that wish to continue this nonesense, and want to drag us all back down into the gutter where they reside!

All I have to say to the idiots involved is:

Not in my name!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18327305

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Its a shame they were not doused in petrol when the flame was passing!!

Absolute scumbags!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fringe lunatic scumbags who are intent on dragging this island back to the dark ages. Thankfully they have almost zero support now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

They spelled Derry wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"The Peace Bridge".

How I laughed!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

It's the good people of Derry who have my sympathies. Putting up with these scumbags indiscrimately throwing pipe bombs at the police in densely populated areas, disrupting local businesses with bombs (hoax and real), murdering young men caught up in the drugs trade (no angels, but murder is murder) and now depriving Derry of some great international press and opportunity to boost trade and tourism.

Pitiful idiots. I await the return of the apologists with the usual pathetic "I don't support them, but if the Brits weren't blah blah de fkkin blah" excuse making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Ghandee wrote: »
    Havent seen a thread about it yet, but these clowns felt thre need to stage a 'protest' at the Olympic torch event in Derry last night.

Apparently they were protesting about 'policing at the event', but I think we all know by now, these clowns will do anything for the limelight!

I'm disgusted that they felt the need to drag their pointless campaign into the historic event of the Olympic torch being carried through the city.

The people in the North have moved on from this crap, and I hope the eyes of the world realise that its a tiny minority of imbeciles that wish to continue this nonesense, and want to drag us all back down into the gutter where they reside!

All I have to say to the idiots involved is:

Not in my name!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18327305
    most of them hold irish passports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    They spelled Derry wrong.

Londonderry, : the only word in the English language that has 6 silent letters!:cool:

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's also disturbing to see young children involved in these "protests".

One has to wonder just what nonsense their heads are being filled with at their young age. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's better than killing people. I think if I lived in Derry I would be happy they were doing this rather than throwing a petrol bomb through my window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Absolute losers forgotten by the world and society. They had a massive plan to get "give Ireland back to the Irish" trending on twitter during the jubilee concert last night. It was highjacked by One Direction fans that thought it was about Niall Horan :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Ghandee wrote: »
    Londonderry, : the only word in the English language that has 6 silent letters!:cool:

Was up in LondonDerry not too long ago, almost every sign had the London part spraypainted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Flangeaholics the lot of them (not in a good way)

awec wrote: »
    It's also disturbing to see young children involved in these "protests".

One has to wonder just what nonsense their heads are being filled with at their young age. :(
    i noticed that the GAA clubs in the north has started giving out medals to 11 year olds with the heads of terrorists printed on them,the childrens parents are not happy about it,its about time they also get their act together,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

getz wrote: »
    i noticed that the GAA clubs in the north has started giving out medals to 11 year olds with the heads of terrorists printed on them,the childrens parents are not happy about it,its about time they also get their act together,

Could you name four of these clubs?

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It was just the one club I'm pretty sure, in Tyrone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18322046

the mother of a 11 year old boy is angry that children at the gaelic athletic club football blitz at the weekend were given medals bearing the picture of a dead IRA man.the medals given to the under 12 boys at galbally pearses club in tyrone featured martin mcoughey,he and IRA man dessie grew were shot dead bythe SAS in october 1990,;it was outrageous .my son was asking what the hero did;said the mother who did not want to be named

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Good oul NI

One club. Big deal.

I suppose publicility is what they want. Locking up is what they need. (the dissidents).

the mother of a 11 year old boy is angry that children at the gaelic athletic club football blitz at the weekend were given medals bearing the picture of a dead IRA man.the medals given to the under 12 boys at galbally pearses club in tyrone featured martin mcoughey,he and IRA man dessie grew were shot dead bythe SAS in october 1990,;it was outrageous .my son was asking what the hero did;said the mother who did not want to be named

I was fully aware of this disgrace. Could you please answer my question.

I was fully aware of this disgrace. Could you please answer my question.
    you are the only one who mentioned four clubs ,i dident ,do you know something i dont

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I really hope that we never ever ever claim the 6 counties back, we have more than enough scum of our own! pity for the decent folk up there!

you are the only one who mentioned four clubs ,i dident ,do you know something i dont

As I'm sure you are aware I was referring to your statement:- "i noticed that the GAA clubs...."

This is generalising the clubs. I choose four as a figure for you to try and defend your lies.

freakin cavemen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

frag420 wrote: »

So they could then be blasted with piss!

That someone decided to organise this disruption merely indicates the utter bankruptcy of so called dissidents, reduced to the most meaningless/pointless gestures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

so when are we getting this brit torch :D

I'm pretty sure its Greek*!

*Greeks Out (of the Euro)!

As I'm sure you are aware I was referring to your statement:- "i noticed that the GAA clubs...."

This is generalising the clubs. I choose four as a figure for you to try and defend your lies.
    this may give you a idea on the GAA in the north,competitions and clubs named after convicted IRA bombers and terrorists, a club named after INLA lynch, a under 12 football contest after joe cahill, cumann o useoige GAA after bobby sands,mairead farrell played in tullysaren, also micheal mcverry,IRA,gerard and martin hearte IRA,louis leonard IRA, paddy kelly IRA, mcdonnel/doherty park,lorie/campell park,ect get over the passed,or should the other side start naming soccer cub after loyalist terrorists ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

fionnsda wrote: »
    so when are we getting this brit torch :D

I believe it is actually tomorrow!

Does anyone know why it is even going to Ireland? Most unusual for the torch to go to another foreign country when it has already begun its tour of the host nation. Usually it tours foreign nations in advance of that.

Is Lord Coe another of these officials who thinks there is a bigger link than actually exists between Britain and Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

this may give you a idea on the GAA in the north,competitions and clubs named after convicted IRA bombers and terrorists, a club named after INLA lynch, a under 12 football contest after joe cahill, cumann o useoige GAA after bobby sands,mairead farrell played in tullysaren, also micheal mcverry,IRA,gerard and martin hearte IRA,louis leonard IRA, paddy kelly IRA, mcdonnel/doherty park,lorie/campell park,ect get over the passed,or should the other side start naming soccer cub after loyalist terrorists ?

Well done, you have single-handedly managed to derail a thread in no less than 14 posts, away from the original talking point about idiots protesting the route of the Olympic torch in Derry to some guff about the GAA.

The irony is that you wouldn't even have known about this story had you not clicked on the BBC link about the torch in the first place.

Take a bow, you deserve it.

• Advertisement

bwatson wrote: »
    I believe it is actually tomorrow!

Does anyone know why it is even going to Ireland? Most unusual for the torch to go to another foreign country when it has already begun its tour of the host nation. Usually it tours foreign nations in advance of that.

Is Lord Coe another of these officials who thinks there is a bigger link than actually exists between Britain and Ireland?

No idea beyond it being some sort of weird needless (not to say inappropriate) sop to Irish unification sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

These people where protesting police using anti terror legislation to intimidate and brutalise republicans and the illegal internment of Marian Price. They used a high profile event to bring attention to their cause. In the same way that the British are using the Jubilee and the Olympics.
    Eyewitnesses, (who, like me, don't agree with the dissidents ) say that the police action started the trouble. It was a peaceful protest until they attempted to move them.
    The right to protest must never be allowed to be rescinded, no matter if you agree with them or not. It's a BASIC human right.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    These people where protesting police using anti terror legislation to intimidate and brutalise republicans and the illegal internment of Marian Price. They used a high profile event to bring attention to their cause. In the same way that the British are using the Jubilee and the Olympics.
    Eyewitnesses, (who, like me, don't agree with the dissidents ) say that the police action started the trouble. It was a peaceful protest until they attempted to move them.
    The right to protest must never be allowed to be rescinded, no matter if you agree with them or not. It's a BASIC human right.

Can't agree. The right to protest should of course be protected. The right to protest wherever and whenever the hell you want should not be , and is not, accepted.

karma_ wrote: »
    Well done, you have single-handedly managed to derail a thread in no less than 14 posts, away from the original talking point about idiots protesting the route of the Olympic torch in Derry to some guff about the GAA.

The irony is that you wouldn't even have known about this story had you not clicked on the BBC link about the torch in the first place.

Take a bow, you deserve it.
    unless you were there,it woud be the only way you read about it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Erm no.

The Olympics are an event that should be above politics. Some people still can't understand that concept and insist on dragging it down.

Can't agree. The right to protest should of course be protected. The right to protest wherever and whenever the hell you want should not be , and is not, accepted.

To whom are you giving the 'power' to decide that to? Not the people who are being protested about surely? :rolleyes:
    To some, their protest is more important than the charade of happy families that the torch run is.
    It was also, incidently, the reason why this display was indulged orginally. It was always political, the sport itself wasn't.

• Advertisement

1. Marian Price is not being illegally detained. Her detention is deemed appropriate by the law, she was out on license and broke those terms and conditions. Hence, she's locked up again. Hard luck Mrs McGlinchey.

2. When an unscheduled protest attempts to deny others the right to continue with an event already scheduled and supported by the police, then it is quite correctly moved broken up and dispersed, with arrests made where necessary.

If the Belfast marathon was on and these dinosaurs tried to prevent it by sitting in the road would you not expect they would be physically moved on by the police? I would, and I would congratulate them for doing so.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Censorship

Fair play to them, the torch is not welcome in Ireland.

To whom are you giving the 'power' to decide that to? Not the people who are being protested about surely? :rolleyes:
    To some, their protest is more important than the charade of happy families that the torch run is.
    It was also, incidently, the reason why this display was indulged orginally. It was always political, the sport itself wasn't.

The power to decide that is via the mandate granted to the NI executive, granted to them by the overwhelming majority of the electorate, who em masse spectacularly ignored any GFA rejectionist dinosaurs at the ballot box and will long continue to do so.

Take it elsewhere, almost no one in Ireland supports you.

Censorship wrote: »

Not welcome by who?

I am pie wrote: »
    1. Marian Price is not being illegally detained. Her detention is deemed appropriate by the law, she was out on license and broke those terms and conditions. Hence, she's locked up again. Hard luck Mrs McGlinchey.

2. When an unscheduled protest attempts to deny others the right to continue with an event already scheduled and supported by the police, then it is quite correctly moved broken up and dispersed, with arrests made where necessary.

If the Belfast marathon was on and these dinosaurs tried to prevent it by sitting in the road would you not expect they would be physically moved on by the police? I would, and I would congratulate them for doing so.

They probably disagree with all of your points. Maybe if their issues where addressed then they wouldn't need to protest.

• Advertisement

The power to decide that is via the mandate granted to the NI executive,

No it's not. Either you have a right to protest or you don't.

The police and the other relevant authorities. As is the case in every democratic and liberal society in the western world. Safety, security and public order need to be accounted for. I don't think what you are suggesting, people turning up in protest groups before having notified and gained acceptance from the authorities, is in any way pragmatic nor safe.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Censorship

Not welcome by who?

By many Irishmen.

No it's not. Either you have a right to protest or you don't.

Are you seriously not getting it or are you just incredibly belligerent? You do have the right to protest. Protests will be accommodated and supported by the authorties, but they will also make sure they do not have any sort of negative impact on security and safety.

The police and the other relevant authorities. As is the case in every democratic and liberal society in the western world. Safety, security and public order need to be accounted for. I don't think what you are suggesting, people turning up in protest groups before having notified and gained acceptance from the authorities, is in any way pragmatic nor safe.

Would Rosa Parks be allowed to dissent in your model democracy? Would the 'police and relevant authorities' have given the nod to her 'protest'?

Well in fairness, we do have Windsor Park in the North.

Mmmmm, whom do we know in England named Windsors :confused:

By many Irishmen.

Hang on to I get a cup of coffee here......

Why exactly would the Olympic torch be unwelcome in Ireland by Irishmen?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Was up in LondonDerry not too long ago, almost every sign had the London part spraypainted out.

Representing the will of the vast majority of residents, who bTW do not support these RIRA/dissident penis-pulling coksuckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

frag420 wrote: »

Absolute scumbags!!
    Likewise with the parade scumbags who just have to parade in certain areas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

By many Irishmen.

do irishwomen have a right to welcome it? or is it men only decision

• Advertisement
Advertisement