Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dissident 'Republicans' disrupt olympic torch event in Derry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Representing the will of the vast majority of residents, who bTW do not support these RIRA/dissident penis-pulling coksuckers

are you saying the dissidents are homo's!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

What a complete bunch of nihilist thug morons.

An utter disgrace to this island.

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ghandee wrote: »
    Well in fairness, we do have Windsor Park in the North.

Mmmmm, whom do we know in England named Windsors :confused:

Windsor Park is not named after the Royals. It is named after the area of Belfast. It was named before the royals even adopted the name Windsor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What a complete bunch of nihilist thug morons.

An utter disgrace to this island.

Yep, dead right, people need to realise what a dawn raid by police is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

If you are republican and protesting, then its an outrage, however it is perfectly fine and acceptable for the police to support, protect and accomodate sectarian marches which intimidate large populations within ulster.

I agree some people dont want to see them protesting, I dont support dissidents, but they have their point of view, they wish to promote it, they see this as a high level occasion, alot of media attention.

People will have to do as alot of catholics have to do every year unfortunately, shut up and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Censorship wrote: »
    Fair play to them, the torch is not welcome in Ireland.

In your opinion. Interesting choice of name too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

You have to laugh at the media sometimes with their "dissident republicans", as clear a case of felon setting as you are likely to see. Everyone's in the RA.

They are entitled to protest, if anything surely them protesting is a good thing. Scuffles broke out, as tends to happen, when they were forcibly "moved on". A rather significant portion of the republican community (chanting "they have no support" repeatedly doesn't make it true) disagree with the current political route, and not all of these (take many people in Eirigi) believe that armed action is warranted, they don't support it, yet are labeled as "dissident republicans", by the powers that be which pretty much means RIRA, CIRA, ONH etc. Hardly fair. Anyway, these people are entitled to disagree and to protest, sit down protests etc are a perfectly acceptable way to do this, if only all those who disagreed with the political route underway would demonstrate their displeasure in the same way we would all be much better off.

You have to laugh at the media sometimes with their "dissident republicans", as clear a case of felon setting as you are likely to see. Everyone's in the RA.

They are entitled to protest, if anything surely them protesting is a good thing. Scuffles broke out, as tends to happen, when they were forcibly "moved on". A rather significant portion of the republican community (chanting "they have no support" repeatedly doesn't make it true) disagree with the current political route, and not all of these (take many people in Eirigi) believe that armed action is warranted, they don't support it, yet are labeled as "dissident republicans", by the powers that be which pretty much means RIRA, CIRA, ONH etc. Hardly fair. Anyway, these people are entitled to disagree and to protest, sit down protests etc are a perfectly acceptable way to do this, if only all those who disagreed with the political route underway would demonstrate their displeasure in the same way we would all be much better off.

And the same media would portray those that protested along the 2008 Olympic Torch Run against Chinese human rights abuses as heros. :rolleyes:

awec wrote:
    I have little sympathy.

Quelle Suprise! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Jorah wrote: »

The Olympics are an event that should be above politics. Some people still can't understand that concept and insist on dragging it down.

Not so far, did you see the crowd in Coleraine? Union Jacks everywhere, not exactly a neutral environment. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18324392
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18306985 (3min+ in)

gurramok wrote: »
    Not so far, did you see the crowd in Coleraine? Union Jacks everywhere, not exactly a neutral environment. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18324392
    Not to mention the Chinese... them hosting it was nothing to do with politics at all, completely neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Seems as though a few people are doing that. (from the OP's link)

Sinn Fein MLA Raymond McCartney said the protesters had nothing to offer the people of Derry.
    "We have to remain focused. This city is moving on," he said.
    "We have to continue to isolate these people. They have to be seen for what they are, divorced from reality and don't listen to the popular will of the people."

What is interesting here though (and its a pity we dont have further comments to clarify it), is that it could be interpreted that Raymond McCartney seems to be saying that the protestors are divorced from reality...so does that mean that what they are protesting about is also the same??

Confusing message there I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Well in fairness, we do have Windsor Park in the North.

Mmmmm, whom do we know in England named Windsors :confused:
    named after a area of belfast opened in 1905

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

fringe lunatic nut jobs hasbeens nobody wants **** to do with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

to be fair with the crowd in coleraine they likely thought it was something to do with the jubilee, they like their union flags that lot, surprised there wasn't any flute bands on show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Why can't we be friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

A few Union Flags, yes, but it's not exactly official, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

You know, I'd have thought you'd welcome it coming, given that its journey includes Dublin, so therefore isn't a "partitionist" event.

You can't please some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Jester252 wrote: »
    Why can't we be friends

Old grudges, inability to be empathetic to one another's viewpoints, ignorance, hatred, etc.

Same old my good man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

So you believe that the Olympic torch is something inherently British, just because the Olympics is being hosted by the UK? The Olympics Games are first and foremost an INTERNATIONAL affair.

It's people with convoluted opinions like yours who make a show of this country in front of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/07/olympicgames2008.china2

didnt see many here complaining when people were protesting in London. protesting at Olympics by Irish people is an honorable tradition that goes back over 100 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Protest:Right or wrong,I bet the vast majority of posters on this thread have never done anything for their country,they just sit there on their sofas complaining about all that is wrong but don't actually do anything to put it right.i can't believe people condem their action while in the same post they say that they should have been doust in petrol,doesn't make sense.Don't forget,less than 100 years ago Republicans were spat on in the streets of Dublin for their part in the 1916 Rising and now their hailed as hero's.I'm all for "moving on" but I wish people would not be so quick to judge givin the atrocities the british carried out in this country and were rarely held accountable for,it was just conveniently forgotten about.What people need to relise is as long as Britain rules NI there will always be an IRA and history has proved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Yzf R6 wrote: »
    Protest:Right or wrong,I bet the vast majority of posters on this thread have never done anything for their country,they just sit there on their sofas complaining about all that is wrong but don't actually do anything to put it right.i can't believe people condem their action while in the same post they say that they should have been doust in petrol,doesn't make sense.Don't forget,less than 100 years ago Republicans were spat on in the streets of Dublin for their part in the 1916 Rising and now their hailed as hero's.I'm all for "moving on" but I wish people would not be so quick to judge givin the atrocities the british carried out in this country and were rarely held accountable for,it was just conveniently forgotten about.What people need to relise is as long as Britain rules NI there will always be an IRA and history has proved that.

The majority in the North want it to stay part of the UK. The majority of the South want it to stay a part of the UK, as long as that remains the case. These dissidents claim to represent "republican" values - there is nothing republican about doggedly continuing a war nobody wants fought. There is no silent majority of support here - the dissidents are reviled by all sides of the divide, and speak for nobody but themselves. Move the fook on with the rest of us will ya...

Hearing a bomb went off in Twinbrook there

Thrown at the PSNI/RUC/Whatever apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The majority in the North want it to stay part of the UK. The majority of the South want it to stay a part of the UK, as long as that remains the case. These dissidents claim to represent "republican" values - there is nothing republican about doggedly continuing a war nobody wants fought. There is no silent majority of support here - the dissidents are reviled by all sides of the divide, and speak for nobody but themselves. Move the fook on with the rest of us will ya...

I take it you didn't read my post properly as I never once said that I supported dissidents,i was merely pointing out facts and highlighting contradictions.Less of the language in telling me to move on,everyone has a right to opinion and I'm not a sheep moving on because of popular opinion.Your most likely very uneducated in you're history or is it the fact that you follow and question nothing for fear that you may become unpopular.

Hearing a bomb went off in Twinbrook there

Smashed a window and waited for the cops to show, then chucked a device.

Be on the news tomorrow probably, sleep time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Would they rather the IRA patrolling the streets of Derry...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 FeckinUsername

getz wrote: »
    the mother of a 11 year old boy is angry that children at the gaelic athletic club football blitz at the weekend were given medals bearing the picture of a dead IRA man.the medals given to the under 12 boys at galbally pearses club in tyrone featured martin mcoughey,he and IRA man dessie grew were shot dead bythe SAS in october 1990,;it was outrageous .my son was asking what the hero did;said the mother who did not want to be named

Lol. She complains about Republicans being commemorated, after sending her child to a club named after Patrick Pearse. And the Darwin award goes to......

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Censorship

do irishwomen have a right to welcome it? or is it men only decision

Excuse me for not including them, of course they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmANPPIi168

• Advertisement

Hang on to I get a cup of coffee here......

Why exactly would the Olympic torch be unwelcome in Ireland by Irishmen?

Excuse the late reply, boards banned me for "spamming".

The games are a celebration of military power & imperialism. 1936 being a perfect example.

London is the host, why is the torch not touring Paris.

They should show some respect & stay off our island, we are not a british isle.....we are or should be our own isle. I didn't see hitler parading the torch around our cities.

It's not about old grudges, it's a question of sovereignty & morality.

Look at africa...look at iraq, the olympics is a depraved event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

They should have waited until it got to Dublin and took John and Edward out with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Havent seen a thread about it yet, but these clowns felt thre need to stage a 'protest' at the Olympic torch event in Derry last night.

Apparently they were protesting about 'policing at the event', but I think we all know by now, these clowns will do anything for the limelight!

I'm disgusted that they felt the need to drag their pointless campaign into the historic event of the Olympic torch being carried through the city.

The people in the North have moved on from this crap, and I hope the eyes of the world realise that its a tiny minority of imbeciles that wish to continue this nonesense, and want to drag us all back down into the gutter where they reside!

All I have to say to the idiots involved is:

Not in my name!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18327305

Well anyone who feels the need to go out and glare at a f*cking flame being carried through the streets doesn't have a high brain capacity either. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The games are a celebration of military power & imperialism. 1936 being a perfect example.

They should show some respect & stay off our island, we are not a british isle.....we are or should be our own isle. I didn't see hitler parading the torch around our cities.

It's got nothing to do with military power or imperialism. That's fairly plain to see.
    Jay D wrote: »
    Well anyone who feels the need to go out and glare at a f*cking flame being carried through the streets doesn't have a high brain capacity either. Get over it.
    It's the only time it's been in the country. It's an international icon. If someone is near it and wants to see it, why should you insult them? It's also missing the point of the Olympics, but sure it's easier to criticise, I guess.

Yzf R6 wrote: »
    I take it you didn't read my post properly as I never once said that I supported dissidents,i was merely pointing out facts and highlighting contradictions.Less of the language in telling me to move on,everyone has a right to opinion and I'm not a sheep moving on because of popular opinion.Your most likely very uneducated in you're history or is it the fact that you follow and question nothing for fear that you may become unpopular.

What the hell are you talking about? It's very simple - things are getting better in the North, there is relative peace after what was essentially a civil war. The people, on both sides of the border, want peace. Several small, unrepresentitive and fringe groups can't accept that, and are determined to drag the north kicking and screaming back to the bad old days. These groups refer to themselves as "republican armies", but given that they don't give a flying fook what the people (the foundational basis of any republic) think about their continued and deeply unpopular struggle, they are "republican" in name only.

They are the enemies of this Island, and a threat to the people of this Island - same as anyone who clings to the old idea that using force of arms to secure a political settlement is acceptable. They need to be ignored, not provided shelter or comfort and arrested until they give up this path and join the peaceful political process with the rest of us who aren't neanderthals.

Lol. She complains about Republicans being commemorated, after sending her child to a club named after Patrick Pearse. And the Darwin award goes to......
    the sad thing is that a important local GAA club,that is in desperate need of money has effectively put itself in the position that could cost them the loss of EU and goverment funding

humanji wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with military power or imperialism. That's fairly plain to see.

You are kidding yourself.

Allow me to ask an kinda off-topic question to judge how indoctrinated you are. Was 9/11 an inside job?

Allow me to ask an kinda off-topic question to judge how indoctrinated you are. Was 9/11 an inside job?

Let me ask you a question - how many conspiracy theories do you believe in? Listen to Alex Jones much? Big believer the the NWO/Illuminatti? Reptilians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I was playing a gig in Derry a couple of years ago on an outdoor stage along the quays, and this same crowd appeared, unrolled a 40 ft long banner and stood in silent protest at something or other while the psni surrounded them. There was a stand off for about 20 minutes, then they rolled up the banner and cleared off. In the back of my mind I was bracing myself for god-knows-what

• Advertisement

What has that got to do with anything? How is the Olympic games to do with military power or imperialism?

Foxhound38 wrote: »

Let me ask you a question - how many conspiracy theories do you believe in? Listen to Alex Jones much? Big believer the the NWO/Illuminatti? Reptilians?

Quite a few.

No Jones is just a scam artist.

Not a believer no.

I wouldn't rule it out.

What about yourself, how many do believe you.....besides the caveman nonsense.

What has that got to do with anything? How is the Olympic games to do with military power or imperialism?

Who organises the event. Were the nazi's chosen to host it because of their wonderful culture?...

The people that get bombed never host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Erm, because Paris/france is not hosting it. Olypmic sporting events are taking place all over Briton, not just london. Some NI athletes compete under the banner Great Britian (full title of team is GB & NI). I'd imagine why this is way the flame is touring NI as well, and crossing the boarder into the republic to give the rest of the Island to experience it.

Even most of the athletes who are competing for Team Ireland consider this a home games as its the closest this country will ever get to it.

Who organises the event. Were the nazi's chosen to host it because of their wonderful culture?...

The people that get bombed never host.
    They were chosen as they had the winning bid. They were also chosen as an opportunity to try abate the possibility of conflict which some felt was imminent. WW2 would happen for a number of years and the Nazi atrocities wouldn't be discovered until years later. There was very little known reason at the time not to allow Germany to host them.

And it's probably worth pointing out that London was bombed and are next to host them. But if you're trying to make the point that small countries tha were invaded don't get to host the Olympics, it's because a country ahs to be able to afford them in order to hold them. And you're not going to see them in a country that currently has a war going on in it's borders.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Erm, because Paris/france is not hosting it. Olypmic sporting events are taking place all over Briton, not just london. Some NI athletes compete under the banner Great Britian (full title of team is GB & NI). I'd imagine why this is way the flame is touring NI as well, and crossing the boarder into the republic to give the rest of the Island to experience it.

Even most of the athletes who are competing for Team Ireland consider this a home games as its the closest this country will ever get to it.

Ireland (for the most part) is not part of britain, they are not a friendly neighbour. They are a war mongering union, they murder people every single day.

• Advertisement

They were chosen as they had the winning bid. They were also chosen as an opportunity to try abate the possibility of conflict which some felt was imminent. WW2 would happen for a number of years and the Nazi atrocities wouldn't be discovered until years later. There was very little known reason at the time not to allow Germany to host them.

And it's probably worth pointing out that London was bombed and are next to host them. But if you're trying to make the point that small countries tha were invaded don't get to host the Olympics, it's because a country ahs to be able to afford them in order to hold them. And you're not going to see them in a country that currently has a war going on in it's borders.

So London can afford it, how have they emassed their wealth.

No country in the middle-east or south america have ever hosted, wealth & imperialism go hand in hand.

Japan & S.Korea hosted, two countries that bow down to the american war pig$.

northern ireland has 26 locations that have been selected as oylmpic training camps

So London can afford it, how have they emassed their wealth.

No country in the middle-east or south america have ever hosted, wealth & imperialism go hand in hand.

Japan & S.Korea hosted, two countries that bow down to the american war pig$.
    And Norway? Belgium? Mexico? Brazil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ireland (for the most part) is not part of britain, they are not a friendly neighbour. They are a war mongering union, they murder people every single day.

If you want to get ity bity about it, none of Ireland is part of Britain, although a small bit is part of the UK. Hence my original point of the Flame route.

Next you will be saying that Ireland should not be competing in the Euros because one of our British neighbours is also competing in it, or that the 6 nations should be boycoted because all three of them compete in it.

If you want to get ity bity about it, none of Ireland is part of Britain, although a small bit is part of the UK. Hence my original point of the Flame route.

Next you will be saying that Ireland should not be competing in the Euros because one of our British neighbours is also competing in it, or that the 6 nations should be boycoted because all three of them compete in it.
    its a sickness called britphobia

• Advertisement
Advertisement