Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dissident 'Republicans' disrupt olympic torch event in Derry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

getz wrote: »
    its a sickness called britphobia

Making up words.

I like Britain. I like the people. I like the soccer teams. I like their comedy.

But I absolutely despise their illegal occupation of my country and their ten thousand troops squatting on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

IrishAm wrote: »
    Making up words.

I like Britain. I like the people. I like the soccer teams. I like their comedy.

But I absolutely despise their illegal occupation of my country and their ten thousand troops squatting on it.

Explain please, with reference to the good friday agreement and the electoral results of the last NI assembly elections. How exactly is it illegal and point to a law that their "occupation" breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Censorship wrote: »
    Ireland (for the most part) is not part of britain, they are not a friendly neighbour. They are a war mongering union, they murder people every single day.

Good grief.... if I thought for one minute that this post was serious and not an attempt to (insert word here for under bridge dweller) then I would feel very sorry for you indeed.

Thankfully, you are likely to only espouse this nonsense from the safety of your keyboard and thankfully it is not a view the vast majority of people I speak to hold.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Censorship

humanji wrote: »
    And Norway? Belgium? Mexico? Brazil?

Norway presented obama with the nobel peace prize, a mass murderer.

Belgium were the 1st to host after WW1, after they fought with the brits & americans.

Mexico is like an american state without the funding & a big nazi style fence.

Brazil is in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Making up words.

take it from me ,the world,the UN and the EU says its legal,only iran thinks differently,when the time comes it will be up to people living in the island who will chose,

AEDIC wrote: »
    Good grief.... if I thought for one minute that this post was serious and not an attempt to (insert word here for under bridge dweller) then I would feel very sorry for you indeed.

Thankfully, you are likely to only espouse this nonsense from the safety of your keyboard and thankfully it is not a view the vast majority of people I speak to hold.

The vast majority have been indoctrinated, to an extent. It's a disgrace people just sit by while people are being murdered.

When the gun is turned on us, there will nobody else to stand up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Happyman42 wrote: »
    These people where protesting police using anti terror legislation to intimidate and brutalise republicans and the illegal internment of Marian Price. They used a high profile event to bring attention to their cause. In the same way that the British are using the Jubilee and the Olympics.
    Eyewitnesses, (who, like me, don't agree with the dissidents ) say that the police action started the trouble. It was a peaceful protest until they attempted to move them.
    The right to protest must never be allowed to be rescinded, no matter if you agree with them or not. It's a BASIC human right.

They should bring in Quebec's Bill 78 where if more than 50 people gather with out prior notice to the police they can declare it illegal :).

All I can say is that i am not looking forward to next year its going to be a nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Belgium were the 1st to host after WW1, after they fought with the brits & americans.

Brazil is in the future.
    Man, those are some seriously tenuous links And you still haven't shown how it's about military power or imperialism. You've simply named countries and left it at that, as if it explains everything.

The vast majority have been indoctrinated, to an extent. It's a disgrace people just sit by while people are being murdered.

When the gun is turned on us, there will nobody else to stand up.

So in your perfect world you would like to 'indoctrinate' people to your point of view?

I dont know about anyone else.... but for me this 'contributor' is going in to the ignore category from here on in.

getz wrote: »
    take it from me ,the world,the UN and the EU says its legal,only iran thinks differently,when the time comes it will be up to people living in the island who will chose,

Give us the choice so.

Lets have a referendum and put the issue to bed once and for all.

No threats of war, mind. Like the anglo Irish treaty and the Got fuck all agreement.

Just the will of the Irish people.

• Advertisement

Man, those are some seriously tenuous links And you still haven't shown how it's about military power or imperialism. You've simply named countries and left it at that, as if it explains everything.

Presenting a mass murderer with the nobel peace prize is not a tenuous link, unless you turn a blind eye to murder.

You never answered my 9/11 question.

Oh look you're a "moderator". Define moderator.

AEDIC wrote: »
    So in your perfect world you would like to 'indoctrinate' people to your point of view?

I dont know about anyone else.... but for me this 'contributor' is going in to the ignore category from here on in.

Facts are not indoctrination, i've been nothing but honest.

Give us the choice so.

No threats of war, mind. Like the anglo Irish treaty and the Got fuck all agreement.

It's not the Irish peoples choice. It's the choice of those living in the North.
    Presenting a mass murderer with the nobel peace prize is not a tenuous link, unless you turn a blind eye to murder.

You never answered my 9/11 question.

Oh look you're a "moderator". Define moderator.

An organisation, not a country, gave out the Nobel prize.

What does the 9/11 question have to do with the topic on hand, other than being a means for you to not answer questions by claiming that anyone who disagrees with you must be "indoctrinated"?

And what does being a moderator have to do with anything? If you really must know what it means, it means that I am a volunteer who gives up some of my time to try and stop any users breaking the simple set of rules given in the forum Charters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

It's the only time it's been in the country. It's an international icon. If someone is near it and wants to see it, why should you insult them? It's also missing the point of the Olympics, but sure it's easier to criticise, I guess.

I've the right to an opinion don't I? Way over sensationalised for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

How did the thread turn into a bit of Brit Bashing??

Dissident Republicans only speak for a very very small number of people on this Island. I don't know why they are protesting the tour of a historic international symbol. They have the right to protest but because they are dissident for a reason and they don't do things by the book.

The Olympics is the only truly global event that nearly every Country participates in. For the most part, the Olympics is above politics and should be kept that way.

It's not the Irish peoples choice.

Of course it is the Irish peoples choice. What a ludicrous statement.

darragh16 wrote: »
    How did the thread turn into a bit of Brit Bashing??

Dissident Republicans only speak for a very very small number of people on this Island. I don't know why they are protesting the tour of a historic international symbol. They have the right to protest but because they are dissident for a reason and they don't do things by the book.

The Olympics is the only truly global event that nearly every Country participates in. For the most part, the Olympics is above politics and should be kept that way.

Those dissidents would do the same if Barney the dinosaur was marching.
    Why can't they ever blow themselves up in big numbers.

Jay D wrote: »
    I've the right to an opinion don't I? Way over sensationalised for my liking.
    Oh I agree is's oversenationalised, but insulting people because they want to see it isn't exactly fair, is it?
    Of course it is the Irish peoples choice. What a ludicrous statement.
    Why? Why should you decide what happens in another country? And if the Republic gets a vote, then why not all of the UK too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Brazil is in the future.

Interesting. What cities do you think should host the olympics?

• Advertisement

RVP 11 wrote: »
    dissidents

Define the word dissident.

Where the men of '16 dissidents?

Was Dan Breen, the man who is credited at firing the first shots of the WoI, a dissident?

Where the men who fought the WoI dissidents?

Bit of clarity, here now.

It's not the Irish peoples choice. It's the choice of those living in the North.

An organisation, not a country, gave out the Nobel prize.

What does the 9/11 question have to do with the topic on hand, other than being a means for you to not answer questions by claiming that anyone who disagrees with you must be "indoctrinated"?

And what does being a moderator have to do with anything? If you really must know what it means, it means that I am a volunteer who gives up some of my time to try and stop any users breaking the simple set of rules given in the forum Charters.

Anyone who believes such nonsense must be very easy at being persuaded, by murderers.

That is not what moderator means.

Anyone who believes such nonsense must be very easy at being persuaded, by murderers.

That is not what moderator means.
    Believes what nonsense?

And on this site, that's exactly what moderator means.

Oh I agree is's oversenationalised, but insulting people because they want to see it isn't exactly fair, is it?

Why? Why should you decide what happens in another country? And if the Republic gets a vote, then why not all of the UK too?

In simplistic terms... NI was 'taken' from the Island or Ireland and made a seperate country, so having a say in its return should be down to the island of Ireland (imho of course).

Would be interesting to see the results of a UK and Ireland wide referendum to be honest.

Most of the UK people I speak to (and lets not forget that includes Wales and Scotland) are equally indifferent. pro and anti the proposal.

Would never happen, but it would be interesting to have one just to see what the real feeling is out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Was Dan Breen, the man who is credited at firing the first shots of the WoI, a dissident?

The war of independence was mandated by the people in the 1918 general election. The provos and the current lot couldn't convince the people of NI that violence was the answer and as a result always came a distant 2nd to the SDLP. Only when they put the gun down did Provional Sinn Fein make any election gains.

Joko wrote: »
    The war of independence was mandated by the people in the 1918 general election. The provos and the current lot couldn't convince the people of NI that violence was the answer and as a result always came a distant 2nd to the SDLP. Only when they put the gun down did Provional Sinn Fein make any election gains.

Where was the mandate for 1916? Did the people of 1918 vote for SF due to the conscription crisis, or due to their support of armed struggle?

Dan Breen had no mandate for smoking the two peelers. He carried the action off his own initiative. GHQ were not too happy with him, but the match was struck and the more militant republicans jumped at the opportunity to wage war against the British.

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Interesting. What cities do you think should host the olympics?

Nairobi.

:pac: dissident, provo, sinn fein all the same to me pal.
    Terrorists take many forms.

Believes what nonsense?

And on this site, that's exactly what moderator means.

9/11.

Maybe on this site, but not in the dictionary or the real world.

Give us the choice so.

the only way to get any peaceful union with the republic is when all parties are happy,any change without full consent of all,will end up in a civil war that would end messy, think with the brain not the heart

:pac: dissident, provo, sinn fein all the same to me pal.
    Terrorists take many forms.

Care to answer the questions I put to you, "pal"?

• Advertisement

Back on topic

Those out protesting about the olympic flame coming to Derry are more than happy to collect the state founded dole

Care to answer the questions I put to you, "pal"?

Meh....no.
    I don't get tripped up by shinners, especially one's who cannot speak english properly.;)

9/11.

Maybe on this site, but not in the dictionary or the real world.
    This thread has nothing to do with 9/11, so I still don't know why you insist on bringing it up.

And nor is the definition of moderator. So what has the olympics to do with imperialism or military power?
    Back on topic

Those out protesting about the olympic flame coming to Derry are more than happy to collect the state founded dole
    But it's probably for the best that they're not true believers, otherwise it could turn violent.

Meh....no.
    I don't get tripped up by shinners, especially one's who cannot speak english properly.;)

Me no speak english properly? Thats umpossible!

I am no shinner either, my gooner supporting friend.

anyway it wont be down to you, your not old enough to vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

"A person who formally opposes the current political structure, opposes the political group in power, opposes the policies of the political group in power, or opposes current laws."

Back then they would have been, the went against the norm and many people didn't support them. It was only until they were executed that support grew.

He may have been considered one, yes.

The term dissident generally didn't apply during the WoI because all combatants and the majority of Ireland had one goal and were given a mandate by the population in the 1918 election.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

very small minority letting a wonderfull little city down.......they do not represent the true people of derry. ballbags!!!!

darragh16 wrote: »
    "A person who formally opposes the current political structure, opposes the political group in power, opposes the policies of the political group in power, or opposes current laws."

Lot of dissidents in Ireland, so.

Lot of dissidents in Ireland, so.

Really? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Scuffles broke out, as tends to happen, when they were forcibly "moved on".

Scuffled broke out as tends to happen, when the rent-a-mob teen knackers seek the grubby thrill of lobbing something at the cops, then legging it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The majority in the North want it to stay part of the UK. The majority of the South want it to stay a part of the UK, as long as that remains the case. These dissidents claim to represent "republican" values - there is nothing republican about doggedly continuing a war nobody wants fought. There is no silent majority of support here - the dissidents are reviled by all sides of the divide, and speak for nobody but themselves. Move the fook on with the rest of us will ya...

Wasn't just the British who had to be forced to the table on 'equal' terms, a large body of Irish partitionists and the ones who have their heads in the sand or don't care had to be made accept that republicans had a legitimate stance and human rights.
    That there is still a small minority that are still disaffected and with have issues is not that uncommon in these situations. It was never going to end overnight. They need to be listened too and their greivances need to be addressed. The biggest mistake the British have made in relation to Ireland is to allow situations to fester and go out of control. In other words, irresponsible governance.
    Their handling of the Marian Price issue and the continued ignoring of basic human rights being a case in point. Of course this is all done with the conivance of Dublin; too scared and wallowing in their endemic inferiority complex to say anything or do anything demonstrable for Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

We revoked our territorial claim by plebiscite in 1998. Does that come as news?

Nineteenth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland referendum:

Yes: 1,442,583 (94.39%) / No: 85,748 (5.61%)

Perhaps it appears as your country in your wistful soul, the law says otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I don't get people sometimes... surely its good to let people have an outlet of protest, like this? If they are denied this or harassed by police as many have been, its more likely that people will lash out in the manner they did in Twinbrook last night.

I would like to see them demonstrate their opposition via healthy protest rather than via the means we saw in West Belfast last night

So i don't hate the country that is illegally occupying MY COUNTRY, but i despise the action itself, and so i fully support the bombing of innocent people who have no idea whats going on in my country, or care, because IAMIRISH LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

If people wish to protest in a peaceful manner, they have a right to do so, be they dissident or whatever.

However, people don't have the right to prevent the free movement of others, or deliberately disrupt or obstruct events in which others are legitimately participating. Otherwise, the groups of one group are infringing on the rights of another.

BTW, it's safe to say I'm not a supporter of SF or the IRA, but I do have issues with the system whereby a licence can be revoked and a person imprisoned simply on the say-so of a politician or bureaucrat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Think there was general disappointment up here that rumours that we were to get a specially commissioned torch in the shape of a milk bottle, proved unfounded!!

This thread has nothing to do with 9/11, so I still don't know why you insist on bringing it up.

And nor is the definition of moderator. So what has the olympics to do with imperialism or military power?

But it's probably for the best that they're not true believers, otherwise it could turn violent.

I say even those guys collected their state dole back in the day too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Einhard wrote: »
    If people wish to protest in a peaceful manner, they have a right to do so, be they dissident or whatever.

However, people don't have the right to prevent the free movement of others, or deliberately disrupt or obstruct events in which others are legitimately participating. Otherwise, the groups of one group are infringing on the rights of another.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Somebody should have told this guy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Tiananmen_300.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Einhard wrote: »

BTW, it's safe to say I'm not a supporter of SF or the IRA, but I do have issues with the system whereby a licence can be revoked and a person imprisoned simply on the say-so of a politician or bureaucrat.

Exactly. This "right to protest" thing people are talking about here is getting stupid. Can I have a sit down protest with 100 people across the M50 on a monday morning? Can I get a group to sit on the centre of the pitch of croke park before an all ireland final and expect not to get moved on?
    If the occupy dame street people actually put their tents up on roads on college green to block traffic, would you defend their right to protest?
    Protest all you want, but once that effects the rights of other people, you should be arrested or moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Happyman42 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes: Somebody should have told this guy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Tiananmen_300.jpg

Considering China was then, and is now, an authoritarian regime with little or no participation by the people, and that the tanks were there to crush a protest by the people, I fail to see how the movement of said tanks could even be considered to be a legitimate action.

Those :rolleyes: are probably the most inane, idiotic thing about this website. Even more inane and idiotic are the people who use them to make a point. Worse even than those people, are those who make an inane and idiotic point, as you just did, and then use those horrible, smug little faces in an attempt to buttress the argument.

Advertisement