Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st cut for lawn

Options
  • 05-06-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭

My lawn was sown on 7th April and was very slow to come on due to cold weather. I purchased a lawnmover to be ready for the 1st cut but did not want to cut it yet as there was very little grass to be had. I was away over the weekend and when I came back I found that my in-laws had cut the lawn (must have been very anxious to use a 2nd hand ride on - bet he won't do the 2nd cut!!). Just wondering if cutting the lawn too early could damage it. Also how long should a lawn idealy be left before the 1st cut?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

How High was the grass when it was cut, I remember reading it should be 2-3 inches before the 1st cut and it was recommended to mulch the 1st cut back into the lawn if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

tommycahir wrote: »
    How High was the grass when it was cut, I remember reading it should be 2-3 inches before the 1st cut and it was recommended to mulch the 1st cut back into the lawn if possible.

It was no where near 2 -3 inches - maybe in some small areas - for the most part. There were a lot of weeds, especially that 'chick weed' stuff. On top of that the cut was gathered because it was 'dirty' with weeds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

get a bag of 10.10.20 in you local coop amd spread some on the grass to try and bring it on a bit and then for the weeds maybe spray some grazon 90 or undersown when the grass is established but find out about the sprays in your coop first as im not 100 per cent sure are they the right ones for a lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

any photos? Sounds like you need to reseed. I wouldn't put any chemicals on a young lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

redser7 wrote: »
    any photos? Sounds like you need to reseed. I wouldn't put any chemicals on a young lawn

+1

Weather is good at the moment for a reseed

• Advertisement

dfbemt wrote: »
    +1

Weather is good at the moment for a reseed

Would this require spaying and re-tilling (please say no :))?

@redser7 - by chemicals do you also include fertilizer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

creedp wrote: »
    Would this require spaying and re-tilling (please say no :))?

@redser7 - by chemicals do you also include fertilizer?

fertilizer will be perfect at any stage and its better to try this first rather than reseed. then when grass has established and is thick you can spray the weeds with a spray that is specific for that type of weed and wont kill the grass.

fertilizer will be perfect at any stage and its better to try this first rather than reseed. then when grass has established and is thick you can spray the weeds with a spray that is specific for that type of weed and wont kill the grass.

OK will try the fertilizer/spray (next Spring) option first and if doesn't work will just have to bite the bullet! Thanks

Bare soil will always have weeds in it. So when you sow a new lawn you have to expect there to be lots of weeds. Competition is the best way of dealing with them so sow some more grass seed. Strong growing grass blocks out weeds, but vice versa unfortunately. Chuck some multi-purpose compost around, then some seed, then some more compost. Dont let a dry day go by until the seed germinates, so a quick light spray of the hose may be needed in the evenings. Regular mowing once the lawn is ready for it is a good way to keep the weeds back. Then when it is establishes you can think about feed and weed chemicals. I'd say it will be next spring before you get that lovely lawn you are after, but those months do zip past.

Bare soil will always have weeds in it. So when you sow a new lawn you have to expect there to be lots of weeds. Competition is the best way of dealing with them so sow some more grass seed. Strong growing grass blocks out weeds, but vice versa unfortunately. Chuck some multi-purpose compost around, then some seed, then some more compost. Dont let a dry day go by until the seed germinates, so a quick light spray of the hose may be needed in the evenings. Regular mowing once the lawn is ready for it is a good way to keep the weeds back. Then when it is establishes you can think about feed and weed chemicals. I'd say it will be next spring before you get that lovely lawn you are after, but those months do zip past.

I have over a 1/2 acre of lawn unfortunately so it would take a lot of compost to cover that area. Would there be any benefit to adding more seed without any compost bearing in mind that there are no actual bare patches in the lawn just not very well developed grass, e.g. in some parts the grass is still the very defined lines where the seeder planted the seed. Presumably though that's normal enough and over time the grass will migrate to cover in the strips between these 'lines' . Sorry if the above stream of consciousness seems facile but Im no gardener, just someone who was told to get a lawn in quick!!

• Advertisement

oh sorry I thought the growth was patchy. Yes the grass will spread and fill in. Good wet weather at the moment. Give it another week and see if the growth picks up and then think about mowing.

oh sorry I thought the growth was patchy. Yes the grass will spread and fill in. Good wet weather at the moment. Give it another week and see if the growth picks up and then think about mowing.

No, I'm not the most articulate of persons!! Thanks for advice.

Advertisement