Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Passport for NI?

• 05-06-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hello:)

We are planning on taking our dog to Antrim camping for a few nights and I'm just wondering should we have a pet passport for him?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nope, no need for a passport, or anything at all. There's always been free movement of pets between Ireland the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Nope, you dont need one to go to the north or the UK. Only if you are travelling outside of this do you need one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

That's great thanks:)! I knew some rules had changed and was just confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Nope! Brought my cat over from London to Cork. Only thing I needed to do was check with the vet in London he was fit for travel as he was quite elderly by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Narsil wrote: »
    That's great thanks:)! I knew some rules had changed and was just confused.
    The rules concerning pet travel between the UK and Ireland have been the same for ages, long before the EU Pet passport scheme was introduced.

We imported a cat from Holland to Ireland before Ireland was part of the PP scheme, and had to import him into the UK first (Dover) and then had free rein to bring him to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

They changed the rules for how long it takes for the pet passport to come through and they said you would need one to go to the UK from Ireland but its never checked and i travel over regularly to dog shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Legally, with the new EU laws that came in at the beginning of this year, yes, you should have a pet passport for going to NI and England/Scotland/wales, but the UK and irish governments have said they won't be enforcing the laws between the two countries. However, it doesn't mean that somebody won't!! I can't see them checking between RoI and NI, but i am getting passport for all of my dogs, just in case.

Advertisement