Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 Service Downtime

Options
  • 05-06-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

who on here avails of Net1 as their Internet Provider??
    They're signal went on Saturday night and was gone right through to yesterday evening.
    Normally, I might add they're a decent service but when the link drops over the weekend you can pretty much forget about having internet till the next working day!!
    This seems to be happening more and more in the past few months and it's somewhat annoying especially if you have an urgent requirement for Internet.
    Just wondering what people's thoughts and experiences are (if any).
    Where we are, we are pretty limited but if this continues I will definitely be looking at other wireless providers such as Digiweb, etc...
    Also, I have queried why they are no failback links when something like this occurs and why are no engineers on-standby over the wknd for such occurences.
    The answer I got for both questions was we're a small ISP and don't have the resources/financing for such
    service continuation needs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

There was no outage for me on Saturday night, nor have we experienced any major outages from Net 1 in a long long time. We're off the Collon mast as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

draffodx wrote: »
    There was no outage for me on Saturday night, nor have we experienced any major outages from Net 1 in a long long time. We're off the Collon mast as far as I know.

There could be a few transmittors up there?? the engineer confirmed that one of their base units in Mt. Oriel was disconnected due to the adverse weather conditions on Saturday night / Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kormak wrote: »
    There could be a few transmittors up there?? the engineer confirmed that one of their base units in Mt. Oriel was disconnected due to the adverse weather conditions on Saturday night / Sunday morning.

Possibly, as far as I know we are due an upgrade that we haven't got yet so maybe your on a newer service that was affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

We had water ingress on one of our Mount Oriel East facing sectors late on Saturday - we had approx 50% of customers back through a backup system by sunday at 10am - however the unit was not fully replaced until 10:00 on Monday - we place posts of all known outages on twitter @net1broadband and also on Facebook "Net1 Broadband"
    Thank you

Net1 wrote: »
    We had water ingress on one of our Mount Oriel East facing sectors late on Saturday - we had approx 50% of customers back through a backup system by sunday at 10am - however the unit was not fully replaced until 10:00 on Monday - we place posts of all known outages on twitter @net1broadband and also on Facebook "Net1 Broadband"
    Thank you

Thanks...
    ps. I asked one of your engineers do they not have some sort of failback system in place when these situations arise and he basically said well that would be the ideal situation but we're a small ISP and doing our best...!??

pps. how do you view these known outages on Facebook/Twitter if your internet is already down??! :confused:

• Advertisement

Hi
    Most people have these on their mobiles ! - Regarding a full backup cell - its totally impractical when we employ our own riggers.
    The "Weather" prevented repair on Sunday

Hi
    Most people have these on their mobiles ! - Regarding a full backup cell - its totally impractical when we employ our own riggers.
    The "Weather" prevented repair on Sunday

Ah... but that's an assumption on your part! not everyone has smart phones...

We know everybody doesn't - but most do !!
    There is also the scenario where the mobile service could be down too! then its curtains.
    This happened last week with Meteor and EMobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

There is also the scenario where the mobile service could be down too! then its curtains.
    This happened last week with Meteor and EMobile

hi net1
    interested in hearing more about your broadband products,

is it C&W / Arqiva that manage your infrastructure and main links to the net?

Hi
    All our POP sites are "owned" - we do not use Arqiva sites
    We use fibre backhaul to Dublin - this is currently used for all IPv4 Traffic both to INEX and to the Tier 1's
    We also have legacy Microwave links (only 450Mb capacity total) one going into Telecity - the other to C&W Clonshaugh
    Currently we are sending only IPV6 non INEX traffic through these links
    Our AS 44212 is currently open peered in INEX - with external connections through Tinet (Inteliquent) - Cogent and Cable and Wireless

Hope this helps from a technical background

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

and that attitude is one of the reasons we decided NOT to go with Net1 a few years ago....that and the fact that they kept breaking promises to call out to check coverage. When eventually they did, calling when we werent there,their "test" , reported to us via mopbile phone, consisted of one of their "senior" people standing at the front gate and saying yeah we can do it just pay us EuroXXX in advance and we will get back to you ! Thankfully their own forum was still active at that time and we could see reports from the various unhappy people who had been waiting for installations for way too long, so we went elsewhere !

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

I've been with Net1 for nearly five years now. Overall I'm happy with them. I've had the choice of switching to eircom for the past 2 years, but I haven't. Net1 ain't cheap and I would save by switching.

I do get the occasional down time (10-90 minutes). If there is a major problem there is a recording available on their support landline. They don't bother with a recording for lesser outrages.

I don't have (or need) a smartphone so I rely on the landline recording. They are a bit presumptuous in assuming that most people have smartphones. I have a nokia communicator for texting, a good digital camera and a good mp3 player/FMtuner.

The quality of service has improved over the past few years and major outrages are fortunately very infrequent, so I won't be changing provider unless that changes.

@280special - We do not, and never have taken money from customers in advance of installs - The procedure for line of sights is as follows
    1. Line of sight is confirmed.
    2. Contract is TOC and DDM form is left with customer
    3. If customer wishes to avail of the server he is asked to return contract and DDM and Installation fee - which is held in customers account until after his installation takes place and he has completed and signed our service acceptance sheet.

Just wanted to clear that up

Also - our basic broadband package (5Meg up and down) includes VOIP and local number for €35 - I am not aware of many systems offering same for less

All we ask here is that you purchase your own ATA at about €60

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

@280special - We do not, and never have taken money from customers in advance of installs -(Suggest you read what YOU have said below re installation fees being held in the clients account !!!! ) The procedure for line of sights is as follows
    1. Line of sight is confirmed. (It wasnt ! the person stated they were standing outside the gate on the main road having been told not to enter as there was a dog on the premises. From where he was he could not possibly have viewed the rear of the premises to see if there was a clear line of sight)
    2. Contract is TOC and DDM form is left with customer
    3. If customer wishes to avail of the server he is asked to return contract and DDM and Installation fee (Isnt this paying in advance???? how long would we have to wait to get our money back when it was discovered the line of sight HADNT been properly assessed???)- which is held in customers account until after his installation takes place and he has completed and signed our service acceptance sheet.

Just wanted to clear that up (You didnt ! The person, and from what i recall he was one of your most senior people, stated yeah thats fine we can do that, all we had to do was sign the form send in the money and they would get back to us with a date for installation....yeah, right !!! At the time the forums , including your own forum which you were forced to take offline, were full of people asking where were you, why had they been waiting for x number of months for installation or repairs....Those are the facts deny them if you like !! The guy only turned up after innumerable calls to your office, talking to a poor lady who was very annoyed at having had her promises to get someone out to us broken so many times.)

Also - our basic broadband package (5Meg up and down) includes VOIP and local number for €35 - I am not aware of many systems offering same for less

All we ask here is that you purchase your own ATA at about €60 (Once again you show a disregard for those of us who dont know the techincal terms, you assume that everyone knows what VOIP, DDM or ATA means...In case you dont know it the use of jargon when talking to customers went out of fashion years ago and its use is regarded as being both rude and a sign of very poor customer service standards. It is preferable, as well as good manners, to talk in terms that everyone can understand :rolleyes:)

If your package is so good why hasnt your company expanded sufficiently to be able to provide 24/7 call out for faults ???

Quite frankly, with what I have seen here and heard verbally from your ex-customers regarding Net1's service standards, allied with, to be frank, your very poor, condescending attitude and total lack of understanding of good customer service I can see very little to convince me that anything has improved !

If anyone has any questions regarding our level of service, please contact us.
    Our NOC is 24x7, we never will be offering a 24/7 customer support line.

I will limit our answer as we have been banned by a boards mod last week, just for saying our service is not satellite and latent.

Any queries can be addressed directly to us - Also - our support forum has not been taken offline, its still as always being linked to from inside the support part of our website we just concentrate more on twitter / facebook these days as limiting the spam on the forums had become a full time job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

If anyone has any questions regarding our level of service, please contact us.
    Our NOC is 24x7, we never will be offering a 24/7 customer support line.

I will limit our answer as we have been banned by a boards mod last week, just for saying our service is not satellite and latent.

Any queries can be addressed directly to us - Also - our support forum has not been taken offline, its still as always being linked to from inside the support part of our website we just concentrate more on twitter / facebook these days as limiting the spam on the forums had become a full time job.

can you give us more information on what sort of NOC ( network operations centre) you operate?

is this the office in tullyallen over the chemist?

No - That is a sales office

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Jesus lads, looking for a 24/7 callout service from a small ISP? not gonna happen. there are larger ISP's in Ireland that net1 who don't offer this service.

Id imagine their NOC is the same as any other. they monitor the network and respond to any issues ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

@ Oceans12,if Net 1 offered everything that your looking for,the basic package would be €70 per month!!Think you need to calm down a bit and realise that a small Irish broadband supplier has limitations! Its 2012,there aint enough profit to pay for 24/7 instant live support to fix outages.

Advertisement