Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Modding Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Can I get a link to the Supernexus rom please?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1817345

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

threein99 wrote: »

Flashed super Nexus and now it wont connect back to my wifi, any ideas ?

Did you do a factory reset when you flashed, it's advised to when you flash from another ROM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Did you do a factory reset when you flashed, it's advised to when you flash from another ROM

Yeah I did all the proper wipes, still no joy, I have re flashed and it still won't connect, mobile data works fine but no wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Flashed super Nexus and now it wont connect back to my wifi, any ideas ?

You have to flash AOSP roms from android 4.0. I just use a stock flashable rom and then flash super nexus. Read the faq on XDA

You have to flash AOSP roms from android 4.0. I just use a stock flashable rom and then flash super nexus. Read the faq on XDA

So if flash back to 4.0.4, re-root, then I flash to super nexus ?

• Advertisement

So if flash back to 4.0.4, re-root, then I flash to super nexus ?

Just flash a rooted stock 4.0.4 ROMI, I use Darkys ROM. Then flash the Super Nexus. All done via recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Was going to give Supernexus ROM a try.

For anyone who installed it, are you running CWM or TWRP recovery?

Cheers,BN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

for anyone who is considering another rom, install the syriah kernel
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1709686

it allows you dual boot roms, so you can keep the original galaxy s3, and try out other roms in the meanwhile.
    its quite easy do actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

installed it with CWM on Siyah Kernel using the dual boot option

as Kenard said in the last post its very easy to do and nice to be able to test Roms without disturbing your main ROM, even though I have gone fully over to Supernexus after testing

haha. same as what i did with cyanogenmod after messing with it.
    at this stage i wud be replacing the main rom instead of cyanogen if trying another. its also handy to have all the backups etc in another section of the phone on the other rom. e.g i just imported my numbers from my main rom when trying cyanogen.
    it just works a lot better incase theres something you dont like you dont spend ages restoring.
    i kinda want a triple boot option now like i have on my laptop, just becasue theres things i like on some and not on others. e.g main rom for hotspot, camera, secondary for every other sort of usage as its snappier even than samsungs jellybean

• Advertisement

Was going to give Supernexus ROM a try.

Cheers,BN

CWM here, specifically whatever version comes with ChainFire's root.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Cheers for the info guys.

@ZeitgeistGlee - I used chainfire's CF-Auto-Root which doesn't include CWM.

Cheers for the info guys.

@ZeitgeistGlee - I used chainfire's CF-Auto-Root which doesn't include CWM.

Yeah I used the other one so I could get CWM, apparently it's not entirely compatible but it worked for what I wanted it to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Flashed supernexus on the basis of this thread :)

Big complaint, battery life is poor compared to the stock unbranded JB I was running.

13 hours and down to 66%. Bleh.

kaimera wrote: »
    Flashed supernexus on the basis of this thread :)

Big complaint, battery life is poor compared to the stock unbranded JB I was running.

13 hours and down to 66%. Bleh.

And he's complaining...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I've an extremely noob question, i'm trying to root my phone & its absolutely wrecking my head. Trying to follow this method here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1695238

Ive downloaded & unzipped odin & cf root(to my pc).......now here's the idiot bit....am i running odin & cf root from the phone or pc?! He does say & its not very clear.

EDIT......got it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If you do not know what you are doing... STOP. Or at least try it on a cheap europa first.

the first line in that thread is "I am no longer supporting this version of CF-Root".
    and he says what thing to use instead. the auto root which is waaaay easier do. hence why he moved.
    if you had ready what he said you would have seen that, and used it instead. a lot less to go wrong.
    anwyays glad u got it.
    for anyone considering rooting, who will be using custom roms, I really recommend just using syriah kernel. (it automatically roots you also) and you can keep your main rom incase you mess up somewhere on a backup etc. It is slightly harder than just flashing a custom rom though (takes like 3 steps more) but still very easy when you have done it once or check it on youtube
    If you just want to root the main samsung rom for apps etc, dont use it as id guess it might make the auto update not work (i dont know though as its only kernel)

I figured after i rooted the phone i could look to do a factory reset again to see if it improves the lag issues i have with jelly bean. I downloaded titanium back up & backed up everything. Did the reset & now my sd card is wiped. Nothing in the titanium folder & all data gone, pictures etc. Where have i gone wrong?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I figured after i rooted the phone i could look to do a factory reset again to see if it improves the lag issues i have with jelly bean. I downloaded titanium back up & backed up everything. Did the reset & now my sd card is wiped. Nothing in the titanium folder & all data gone, pictures etc. Where have i gone wrong?

Titanium back up by default will back up to the internal storage. So if all your photos and titanium back up files were on the internal storage and not external sd card. Then when you reset your phone, you deleted everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Where have i gone wrong?
    RangeR wrote: »
    If you do not know what you are doing... STOP. Or at least try it on a cheap europa first.

You are a self professed noob. You didn't follow the basic instructions. You shouldn't have proceeded. If your SDCARD is wiped, then probably not much you can do. Maybe try an undeleter [if it's a removable card]?

RangeR wrote: »
    You are a self professed noob. You didn't follow the basic instructions. You shouldn't have proceeded. If your SDCARD is wiped, then probably not much you can do. Maybe try an undeleter [if it's a removable card]?

Na its grand. The only important stuff is backed up with kies anyway. A previous factory reset after the jelly bean update left the sd card intact. Im so anxious to get rid of this **** laggy jelly bean update i did jump the gun bit today. The only thing ill say is for anyone looking to get into rooting & custom roms most of the instructions out there are clear as mud.

Na its grand. The only important stuff is backed up with kies anyway. A previous factory reset after the jelly bean update left the sd card intact. Im so anxious to get rid of this **** laggy jelly bean update i did jump the gun bit today. The only thing ill say is for anyone looking to get into rooting & custom roms most of the instructions out there are clear as mud.

You just need to read, its the key rules. You go to XDA and your read every possible FAQ post and watch YouTube videos on procedures. Never ever had any problems.

Always make sure you make a copy of any future backups and keep them on your computer

Ok, I'm itching to try 4.2 on my phone as it's lovely on my N7. The dev for SuperNexus is taking a break for exams (he only 16) so I'm looking for a new ROM to play with. AOSP and AOKP suggestions only please, no bloated crap, I love vanilla :D

Running supernexus 2, 4.2.1

Q - a decent swype apk for the gs3?

I have an old nexus ICS apk but it dosn't work great in landscape.

The swype beta installer doesn't download anything for me ie. the download just doesnt seem to start at all.

kaimera wrote: »
    Running supernexus 2, 4.2.1

Q - a decent swype apk for the gs3?

I have an old nexus ICS apk but it dosn't work great in landscape.

The swype beta installer doesn't download anything for me ie. the download just doesnt seem to start at all.

Try the new Swiftkey Flow, it has 2 versions, phone and tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Try kii keyboard if you're looking for a Swype replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Can someone provide a link to a rooting guide for the S3 running stock Samsung XELLA 4.1.2 firmware. I tried two methods earlier and neither actually rooted the phone.

• Advertisement

Actually got the swype downloader working after.

Coulda been a poor wifi conenction or anything.

RE: root - tried this? - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1703488

Advertisement