Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Modding Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

kaimera wrote: »
    Actually got the swype downloader working after.

Coulda been a poor wifi conenction or anything.

RE: root - tried this? - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1703488

How exactly do they work ?

Looking for a new ROM, anyone got using anything decent ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

threein99 wrote: »
    How exactly do they work ?

Looking for a new ROM, anyone got using anything decent ?
    supernexus 2.0; no probs so far, 4.2.1

might take a look at ReVolt JB 4.2.1 - reading teh xda thread now.

Whatcha mean by how does it work? You download the exe, plug phone in, run the app, it picks up phone and you choose whatcha want to do like option 1) root 2) flash CWM or whatever etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

kaimera wrote: »
    supernexus 2.0; no probs so far, 4.2.1

might take a look at ReVolt JB 4.2.1 - reading teh xda thread now.

Do you know if any of those Roms are working with Dual Boot on the latest Siyah v1.8.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just got my phone back, I'm having problems flashing Supernexus 2.0 from stock. It just reboots and locks up and takes an Odin flash to sort as I can only get download mode after. Anyone any ideas, should I flash to something else first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭G1032

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just got my phone back, I'm having problems flashing Supernexus 2.0 from stock. It just reboots and locks up and takes an Odin flash to sort as I can only get download mode after. Anyone any ideas, should I flash to something else first?
    Don't you have to flash an ICS ROM first? You used to have to do that I think. Worth a try sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Hi guys!

Just wondering if any of you could figure out how to fix the tethering app on my S3!

It stopped working last Oct 12 for no apparent reason.

The hotspot appears to be working from looking at the phone but no device can 'see' it.

Not rooted or modded in any way.

Running 4.1.2 I9300XXELLA

Don't want a factory reset!!

Is there anything I can try apart from a reset?

Thanks for any advice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

kingtiger wrote: »
    Do you know if any of those Roms are working with Dual Boot on the latest Siyah v1.8.9

answered my own question this morning

installed supernexus 4.2.1 as the secondary Rom, and it works with no issues :)

primary is unbranded 4.1.2 XXEL4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I've searched this thread and boards generally without success.

I have a three.ie locked handset and want to put cyanogenmod on it. Has anyone here modded/rooted a three.ie S3? My plan is to stick Clockwork Recovery on via Heimdall and take it from there, but wanted to check if this will work with a three handset.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

lukester wrote: »
    Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I've searched this thread and boards generally without success.

I have a three.ie locked handset and want to put cyanogenmod on it. Has anyone here modded/rooted a three.ie S3? My plan is to stick Clockwork Recovery on via Heimdall and take it from there, but wanted to check if this will work with a three handset.

Thanks

It's late. I'm tired. I'll be short.

You didn't look very hard. The fact that it's a three SGSIII is not relevant. It's an SGSIII International [i9300] period.

Search again. [Hint -> cf_root]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Hey, I've a query about rooting and the warranty. My S3 was freezing and restarting a lot since the last OTA 4.1.2 update so I dropped it into a Samsung authorised repair centre to have it looked at under warranty. I was informed that the warranty is void because it has run unauthorised software.

I never flashed any custom roms on it, the phone only ran official firmware direct from Kies or OTA updates. It wasn't even rooted when I dropped it into the repair centre, as the last time I tried to root the phone it didn't actually root it. It was rooted once a few months ago but this was subsequently removed when I updated the firmware via kies.

I'm aware of all the warnings about rooting may void the warranty but I've also read stories that most manufacturers will fix rooted phones under warranty as all it is software change not hardware. Do you think I have any recourse in this situation? Is this a blanket Samsung policy in Ireland or the repair centres? Will my phone now be on a warranty blacklist or do you think I could reset the flash count and bring it to different authorised Samsung repair centre.

• Advertisement

Nephew wrote: »
    Hey, I've a query about rooting and the warranty. My S3 was freezing and restarting a lot since the last OTA 4.1.2 update so I dropped it into a Samsung authorised repair centre to have it looked at under warranty. I was informed that the warranty is void because it has run unauthorised software.

I never flashed any custom roms on it, the phone only ran official firmware direct from Kies or OTA updates. It wasn't even rooted when I dropped it into the repair centre, as the last time I tried to root the phone it didn't actually root it. It was rooted once a few months ago but this was subsequently removed when I updated the firmware via kies.

I'm aware of all the warnings about rooting may void the warranty but I've also read stories that most manufacturers will fix rooted phones under warranty as all it is software change not hardware. Do you think I have any recourse in this situation? Is this a blanket Samsung policy in Ireland or the repair centres? Will my phone now be on a warranty blacklist or do you think I could reset the flash count and bring it to different authorised Samsung repair centre.

the networks and repair centers have a very easy way to determine if there is stock software on it or not. Samsung provide them with a booklet on how to test in seconds.

Did you purchase this new, from a network, or did you purchase it second hand?

Install Titanium Backup and run it. When you run it, it will complain if you don't have root access enabled. Titanium Backup is safe to install. Once you run it once [whether it complains or not], you can then uninstall it.

Come back, please, and let us know

Rooting your phone does not void your warranty, read this:
    http://piana.eu/root

Rooting your phone does not void your warranty, read this:
    http://piana.eu/root

Without getting into the nitty [I'm not a legal expert], I don't believe Ireland signed up to that.

RangeR wrote: »
    Without getting into the nitty [I'm not a legal expert], I don't believe Ireland signed up to that.

Google says we did
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumer_rights_and_cross_border_shopping_in_the_european_union.html

Hey Guys, thanks for replying.

I bought the phone brand new on contract from a network.

I used a root checker app and installed a few other apps that require root access to make sure it wasn't rooted before I brought it in because I had unsuccessfully tried to root it last month. Even though the root procedure failed to root the phone I received two OTA updates since so this should have wiped any remnants of the failed root attempt.

I called the repair centre today and I was told the warranty was void because it had run unauthorised software. The only 'unauthorised' software it could have been was when I rooted it last year or the failed root attempt last month, as I haven't flashed any roms on the phone.

I used a root checker app and installed a few other apps that require root access to make sure it wasn't rooted before I brought it in because I had unsuccessfully tried to root it last month. Even though the root procedure failed to root the phone I received two OTA updates since so this should have wiped any remnants of the failed root attempt.

I called the repair centre today and I was told the warranty was void because it had run unauthorised software. The only 'unauthorised' software it could have been was when I rooted it last year or the failed root attempt, as I haven't flashed any roms on the phone.

Just on a technical aspect, the fact that you attempted a root could have replaced the Kernel without actually giving your root access. If the Kernel was replaced from non stock, you will have a fight on your hands.

Personally, I don't believe changing the software would cause a hardware fault but if you go against the manufacturer T's & C's, you are on an up hill struggle.

Having said that, "Freezing and Restarting" could also be a software issue. Tough call but you can't expect a free fix for something that you may have caused.

What I would do. Find the stock Kernel and flash that on with Odin. Then check for errors.

EDIT : Do this

On your SGS3, Hold down the VolumE DOWN + MENU key, then hold POWER. At the prompt, press Volume up.

The screen will tell you if you have anything non stock. Let us know.

RangeR wrote: »
    Just on a technical aspect, the fact that you attempted a root could have replaced the Kernel without actually giving your root access. If the Kernel was replaced from non stock, you will have a fight on your hands.

Personally, I don't believe changing the software would cause a hardware fault but if you go against the manufacturer T's & C's, you are on an up hill struggle.

Having said that, "Freezing and Restarting" could also be a software issue. Tough call but you can't expect a free fix for something that you may have caused.

What I would do. Find the stock Kernel and flash that on with Odin. Then check for errors.

EDIT : Do this

On your SGS3, Hold down the VolumE DOWN + MENU key, then hold POWER. At the prompt, press Volume up.

The screen will tell you if you have anything non stock. Let us know.

Thanks again, Ranger.

I was aware that rooting may void the warranty but never gave it much thought tbh as I've rooted all my previous phones without issue.

My phone is still in the repair but I'm pretty certain I tried that combination a few weeks ago and it was the basic android recovery screen and not the clockworkmod recovery screen, if that's what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi,

Looking for some advice!

Rooted my SGS3 and have just flashed cyanogenmod 10 to it using rom manager.....taking a long time to boot up though and currently stuck on boot screen for about 15 mins now!

Have rooted and flashed roms to my SGS1 and SGS2 in the past and never had a problem, just wondering should it be taking this long or have I f***ed something up? :o:o:o

And if I have done something wrong, what do I do next, I did make a backup of the rom beforehand, can that be reflashed?

Thanks!

rob w wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for some advice!

Rooted my SGS3 and have just flashed cyanogenmod 10 to it using rom manager.....taking a long time to boot up though and currently stuck on boot screen for about 15 mins now!

Have rooted and flashed roms to my SGS1 and SGS2 in the past and never had a problem, just wondering should it be taking this long or have I f***ed something up? :o:o:o

And if I have done something wrong, what do I do next, I did make a backup of the rom beforehand, can that be reflashed?

Thanks!

If it's stuck, Odin flash back to a stock Rom and start from there

Hi,

Looking for some advice!

Thanks!
    If it's stuck, Odin flash back to a stock Rom and start from there

Before you reflash ODIN Stock, go into Recovery and wipe the device. Generally speaking, unless you are told otherwise, the process is ... wipe, flash, wipe ... especially from stock.

That should fix your problem. If not, do as above.

• Advertisement

Ok, so I have the rom up and running now, went back into recovery and did a wipe, mustnt have done it properly first time around!!

Do any of you guys use CM10 for the S3? It seems like a nice rom, but no play store, so I cant download my apps, a bit annoying!! Any idea where can I get an .apk for this!?

Well done.

You need to download the GAPPS package and install it. Go back to CM10 instructions and read them again :)

Ok, so I have the rom up and running now, went back into recovery and did a wipe, mustnt have done it properly first time around!!

Do any of you guys use CM10 for the S3? It seems like a nice rom, but no play store, so I cant download my apps, a bit annoying!! Any idea where can I get an .apk for this!?

You usually need to flash Google apps seperate, check their page on xda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Yup, flash your Gapps for 4.1 - http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

PS: CM10.1 is actually available for the S3 and is stable here - the appropriate Gapps.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Yup, flash your Gapps for 4.1 - http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

PS: CM10.1 is actually available for the S3 and is stable here - the appropriate Gapps.

I don't see a stable 10.1, only nightlies. Can I flash straight from stock XXELLA? (not got round to flashing mine after repair)

I don't see a stable 10.1, only nightlies. Can I flash straight from stock XELLA? (not got round to flashing mine after repair)
    Correct, I never said it was a stable version (the link is to nightlies only) but I have used it and flashed in on 2 other S3's and it's very smooth and responsive. It also works excellently with Temaseks Kernel here (esp. for better battery life).

Regarding flashing from stock, you need to flash this CWM Touch Recovery from Odin 3 (as PDA) and then install the ROM, Gapps and Kernel from CWM.

Thanks for the replies!!

All sorted now, that gapps file 20121011 didnt work with my phone, had to reflash cm10 again and download gapps 20121212, as im on Android 4.2.1

I can breathe easy now that I have a shiny new rom and a phone thats not bricked!! :D:D

Thanks! :D

Thanks for the replies!!

All sorted now, that gapps file 20121011 didnt work with my phone, had to reflash cm10 again and download gapps 20121212, as im on Android 4.2.1

I can breathe easy now that I have a shiny new rom and a phone thats not bricked!! :D:D

Thanks! :D
    Lovely :) In that case, you must have flashed a CM10.1 ROM initially as CM10 is version 4.1, CM10.1 is 4.2.1.

The CyanogenMod team only added the .1 to CM10 because it's still Jelly Bean, 4.2 will be Key Lime Pie. :D

advertsfox wrote: »
    Lovely :) In that case, you must have flashed a CM10.1 ROM initially as CM10 is version 4.1, CM10.1 is 4.2.1.

The CyanogenMod team only added the .1 to CM10 because it's still Jelly Bean, 4.2 will be Key Lime Pie. :D

Yeah thats what I did, didnt realise it was 10.1!!! :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭G1032

I called the repair centre today and I was told the warranty was void because it had run unauthorised software. The only 'unauthorised' software it could have been was when I rooted it last year or the failed root attempt last month, as I haven't flashed any roms on the phone.

Running custom software on a phone bought in the EU does not void the warranty. Your warranty is not void.
    Thread on XDA about this...............

Edit: Just saw Pog's post a couple of pages back. Anyway your warranty isn't void.

Advertisement