Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Modding Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just flashed CM10.1 but am having a problem with Titanium, it will only restore one app at a time then gets stuck on restoring the second and needs a reboot to fix.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How is CM10.1 now? Did they get the sources they need to fix all the problems with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

How is CM10.1 now? Did they get the sources they need to fix all the problems with it?

from the wiki
    CyanogenMod10.1:GT-I9300:Nightly:Known issues

From Teamhacksung Wiki

Camera: Recording effects broken
    Camera: Touch 2 focus issues with enabled flashlight
    Graphics: bad performance, scrolling lags, keyboard glitches
    FM Radio: unsupported. Use Spirit FM Radio from Play Store instead.
    TV Out: unsupported (proprietary, undocumented)
    No exFAT support (proprietary, Microsoft)

Jeez i gotta say i do love samsung more and more. Gonna install CM 10.1 (typical just after i get everything set up the way i like!) this evening.

when looking for the rom ask my mate with HTC desire X if he wanted me to have a look for him too. HOLY CRAP!!! its so fecking awkward for HTC. so many steps my eyes started glazing over after the millionth step that was required.

Send him a link with it and he says doesn't look to bad and he should get it done this evening. Send him the 4 steps for the s3. now he see's how i installed and tested 4 or 5 roms in an evening!

danniemcq wrote: »
    Jeez i gotta say i do love samsung more and more.

You've not suffered from the sudden death syndrome then :D

I have, twice. I've sworn this will be my last Samsung product. Repairing phones by replacing them with the exact same revision boards (that suffer from the exact same problems) is just pathetic. Releasing a new firmware to make it look like you're doing something to rectify a hardware fault is the last straw, when in reality it's real purpose is to nullify warranty's and catch out those who modified their phones and thereby save them money on repairs. A nasty stunt. Fcuk you Samsung!

Anyone want to buy an S3?

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You've not suffered from the sudden death syndrome then

i have actually! Had 0 issues with them on the replacing despite it being rooting and running AOKP.

i didn't sign anything to change T&C and according to EU law rooting and roms do not affect your rights.

i have actually! Had 0 issues with them on the replacing despite it being rooting and running AOKP.

i didn't sign anything to change T&C and according to EU law rooting and roms do not affect your rights.

Yes, we here in Ireland are lucky we are covered here by EU law, but Samsung's problems are worldwide, in the USA rooting voids the warranty. It's a nasty stunt, one I'll remember. I don't love them anymore, I did once. They are now on my blacklist with Apple, Creative and Sony

Yes, we here in Ireland are lucky we are covered here by EU law, but Samsung's problems are worldwide, in the USA rooting voids the warranty. It's a nasty stunt, one I'll remember. I don't love them anymore, I did once. They are now on my blacklist with Apple, Creative and Sony

Not really a Samsung only issue though with rooting, its all phones and unlocking them is completly illegal. As long as its not an issue for me or they are going after one country on their own and admit the issue i can let it slide.

Just wondering both times yours died were you running stock or custom?

Not really a Samsung only issue though with rooting, its all phones and unlocking them is completly illegal. As long as its not an issue for me or they are going after one country on their own and admit the issue i can let it slide.

Just wondering both times yours died were you running stock or custom?

Custom, first time, stock the second as the new board died within an hour of getting it back from repair. My point was, custom roms was never an issue with Samsung until they were looking for a way out of warranties. In fact once upon a time they encouraged custom roms and even sent free phones to the Cyanogen team.

Custom, first time, stock the second as the new board died within an hour of getting it back from repair. My point was, custom roms was never an issue with Samsung until they were looking for a way out of warranties. In fact once upon a time they encouraged custom roms and even sent free phones to the Cyanogen team.

i know i'm being really picky but.....
    • first phone has issue and running custom rom
    • phone comes back with parts replaced but carrier default 4.X.X is on it (someone got it back from the fix place fone something i think) with a really old version it seems to be a bit hit and miss.
    • second phone suffers same issue as first before it can update (i didn't get the update for a day or 3 maybe)

EDIT: you can't really blame samsung yes they used to be good with custom stuff etc and imo still are (4 steps to install a rom compared to HTC) but again rooting voids all warrenties in the states and unlocking is illegal. without knowing the ins and outs of the states laws at the minute its hard to say once and for all. perhaps there is some crappy side law where if they allow this then they would have to allow unlocking too or something.

Plus knowing providers over there that could be an issue too

• Advertisement

i know i'm being really picky but.....
    • first phone has issue and running custom rom
    • phone comes back with parts replaced but carrier default 4.X.X is on it (someone got it back from the fix place fone something i think) with a really old version it seems to be a bit hit and miss.
    • second phone suffers same issue as first before it can update (i didn't get the update for a day or 3 maybe)

It did update to XXELLA, it died an hour later.

It did update to XXELLA, it died an hour later.

i stupidly never checked what mine was when it came back but i do remember being on ELLA (after i received an update) but a day later i got another update.

I guess if mine dies again before i update to CM10.1 this evening i'll go apesh*t but if not .... well i dunno where i stand!

I haven't experienced it but i know you and others have

You're trusting them that this firmware fixes the issue, there is no proof that it does. To me it's a hardware fault they won't own up to. Software shouldn't be able to kill hardware unless there is some underlying issue there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

They are now on my blacklist with Apple, Creative and Sony

You don't have many friends left!
    Unless you start looking to other OS's. other Chinese brand phones etc.

Ste- wrote: »
    You don't have many friends left!
    Unless you start looking to other OS's. other Chinese brand phones etc.

I don't miss not having Apple, Creative or Sony devices. The LG Nexus 4 is on my shopping list or maybe hold out for the new Motorolla. There's still plenty to choose from. Truthfully, I'd jump ship to Ubuntu phone in the morning....

You're trusting them that this firmware fixes the issue, there is no proof that it does. To me it's a hardware fault they won't own up to. Software shouldn't be able to kill hardware unless there is some underlying issue there.

i can see how it could be a software bug where the wrong bit of code tells the phone to do something it shouldn't (destroy partition, change voltages etc, like deleted system32 will destroy a computer in a kinda way (still software but you get the idea)

i gotta agree though ubuntu phone mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i can see how it could be a software bug where the wrong bit of code tells the phone to do something it shouldn't (destroy partition, change voltages etc, like deleted system32 will destroy a computer in a kinda way (still software but you get the idea)

Deleting system32 doesn't require a hardware replacement to fix. If the kernel can kill the hardware, there is something wrong with the hardware, it does not have the precautions it should have in place to prevent corruption. In a pc, a cpu will disable itself at a certain temperature before overheating to the point of damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Just a quick one. I had my phone rooted and had custom rom. Am selling it so I unrooted and installed Vodafone stock (As I on Vodafone) from samsung-updates

This is the actual firmware here. My phone is unlocked, so is it still unlocked after I put this fw on it? If someone put in an o2 sim for instance would they have the wrong fw for their network? or what would happen.

Deleting system32 doesn't require a hardware replacement to fix. If the kernel can kill the hardware, there is something wrong with the hardware, it does not have the precautions it should have in place to prevent corruption. In a pc, a cpu will disable itself at a certain temperature before overheating to the point of damage.

nah i know its just something that could have happened perhaps it was a kernel update that was supposed to fix a write issue

perhaps the internal memory has a terrible read/write lifetime.

perhaps it was an issue where a safety was broken

ya can't tell but until it happens me again i gotta believe that mine is fixed....

time for cm 10.1 anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

AntiRip wrote: »
    Just a quick one. I had my phone rooted and had custom rom. Am selling it so I unrooted and installed Vodafone stock (As I on Vodafone) from samsung-updates

This is the actual firmware here. My phone is unlocked, so is it still unlocked after I put this fw on it? If someone put in an o2 sim for instance would they have the wrong fw for their network? or what would happen.

its possible...but it would just be a firmware lock then and probably an app can unlock it after i would guess...
    dont forget to do a factory reset after also to make sure u wipe all ur data ;)
    secondly i would have held on another month as the s4 will be out soon.
    though i dunno how i feel about that extra bit of size again. 5" sounds extreme, though im sure id love it same as i grew to like the s3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

kenyard wrote: »
    its possible...but it would just be a firmware lock then and probably an app can unlock it after i would guess...
    dont forget to do a factory reset after also to make sure u wipe all ur data ;)
    secondly i would have held on another month as the s4 will be out soon.
    though i dunno how i feel about that extra bit of size again. 5" sounds extreme, though im sure id love it same as i grew to like the s3

I'll have an old nokia dinosaur for a month until the S4 comes out :-). Wanted to beat the rush of S3 sales ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I mentioned a few pages back that I brought my phone into a Samsung authorised repair centre to have fixed under warranty, but they refused to even look at it because of 'unauthorised' software being installed on the device. I never installed custom roms but I had rooted it in the past. Anyway, I was told it was a policy issued by Samsung to the centre not to cover rooted etc phones under warranty.

When I hold power+home+volume down, the flash counter says 3. Can anyone link me to the method to reset this to zero and remove any trace that the phone was once rooted.

The freezing/restarting problems I've been having since the 4.1.2 update seem to be quite common http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/18dqye/heads_up_sgs3_i9300_users_the_firmware_samsung/

Nephew wrote: »
    I mentioned a few pages back that I brought my phone into a Samsung authorised repair centre to have fixed under warranty, but they refused to even look at it because of 'unauthorised' software being installed on the device. I never installed custom roms but I had rooted it in the past. Anyway, I was told it was a policy issued by Samsung to the centre not to cover rooted etc phones under warranty.

When I hold power+home+volume down, the flash counter says 3. Can anyone link me to the method to reset this to zero and remove any trace that the phone was once rooted.

The freezing/restarting problems I've been having since the 4.1.2 update seem to be quite common http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/18dqye/heads_up_sgs3_i9300_users_the_firmware_samsung/

The only way to do this is chain fire, not free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

The only way to do this is chain fire, not free

Thanks, Pog. Doesn't that app need root access to actually reset the flash counter? I'd need to reset the flash counter and not have the phone rooted in order for the warranty to be valid.

Installed the latest Cyanogen nightly to get 4.2.2 and now i have no camera, anyone have a link to a zip

• Registered Users Posts: 45 patrickowens1

Hi guys,

Had woeful problems with freezing over the past week or so and have rang Samsung who are sending courier to pick up phone within the next day or two.

But I've a bit of a problem - I can't fully reset the phone using triangle away.

I currently have:
    Custom binary download: No
    Current Binary: Samsung Official
    System Status: Custom.

I thought flashing an official ROM, which i downloaded via sam mobile would fix that last 'system status' portion to official but no such luck!

Has anyone got any suggestions? Or a three ireland stock rom that i could try flashing with odin to see if it corrects?

cheers!
    Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi guys,

Had woeful problems with freezing over the past week or so and have rang Samsung who are sending courier to pick up phone within the next day or two.

But I've a bit of a problem - I can't fully reset the phone using triangle away.

I currently have:

I thought flashing an official ROM, which i downloaded via sam mobile would fix that last 'system status' portion to official but no such luck!

Has anyone got any suggestions? Or a three ireland stock rom that i could try flashing with odin to see if it corrects?

cheers!
    Pat

So, can I make some assumptions, based on information provided?

You installed a custom ROM and or rooted your phone. You experienced issues with instability. You want Samsung to fix your problem? They WILL charge you.

My interpretation of
    is that you rooted your phone.

Well not really, I never installed any custom ROM at all.
    Once I began to get the freezing problems i thought I would try to a few things myself to fix the problem:

I first tried uninstalling the last few apps i had installed - still freezing.
    I then did a hard reset, with a full reset to factory settings but still freezing.
    I then opened Kies, which I have always previously used to update firmware, but since I had the most up to date, it wouldn't let me reapply it.
    So I searched around online to find a another copy of a three ireland stock firmware and flashed this using odin, but that didn't fix it either.....

So that last step, which I def now regret doing, has left me with a phone out of warranty due it looking like I've been using a custom ROM, despite the fact that it's likely a hardware issue.

I then tried resetting that info with triangle away, which did reset the custom binary counter but still shows a system status as 'custom'.

The only thing i can now think of doing is to find another copy of three stock firmware and flash that with ODIN to see if it will revert to 'official' status.

Sorry for the essay! Does that all make sense??

Panic averted!

Just discovered Kies can do an Firmware initialisation once you input your serial number and model number so now in Odin mode i'm left with everything as when it came out of the box:

System Status: Official.

Nice! Won't be paying for it this time hopefully Roger!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Installed the latest Cyanogen nightly to get 4.2.2 and now i have no camera, anyone have a link to a zip
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2146428

Advertisement