Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Modding Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

To anyone considering making the move to CM10.1, I would definitely recommend it. I was hesitant to make the move as I heard about lag and performance issues but I have encountered none over the past few days. If anything performance is smoother under CM10.1. I should have made the switch ages ago.

To anyone considering making the move to CM10.1, I would definitely recommend it. I was hesitant to make the move as I heard about lag and performance issues but I have encountered none over the past few days. If anything performance is smoother under CM10.1. I should have made the switch ages ago.

+1, the nightlys are rock solid for me, despite losing the camera

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    +1, the nightlys are rock solid for me, despite losing the camera

Camera works fine for me. I have that weird problem where if you switch to the front facing and take a picture it freezes but I never use the front facing so I don't care. I only wonder what it would be like if Samsung would release the sources and documentation like the CM team want. After the S3 I'll probably be sticking to Nexus devices.

I'll not be buying Samsung again either, having to endure 2 sudden death syndromes is too much while all they do is release a firmware that voids warranties to save themselves money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

running supernexus build 3. no issues.

the Huawei camera app for 4.2.2 is a good alternative.

Q - something different - extended or larger battery for the gs3?

there is an official 3000mh on Amazon or a 4400mh 3party battery.

any experiences?

I considered getting one but they extend the case out way too much at the back and the phone looks daft. Looks like it could be used as a see saw.

@ac - pics didn't seem so bad.

pity they are online, not in store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'll not be buying Samsung again either, having to endure 2 sudden death syndromes is too much while all they do is release a firmware that voids warranties to save themselves money

Sorry, but which firmware voided the warranty?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sorry, but which firmware voided the warranty?

The new XELLA firmware has a new bootloader that gives a red mark when you have rooted or flashed a custom rom. Now European law is on your side here, where rooting doesn't void the warranty (doesn't stop them trying to fob you off though), but not in other parts of the world. It does void the warranty in the USA and saves them a fortune in warranty repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The new XELLA firmware has a new bootloader that gives a red mark when you have rooted or flashed a custom rom. Now European law is on your side here, where rooting doesn't void the warranty (doesn't stop them trying to fob you off though), but not in other parts of the world. It does void the warranty in the USA and saves them a fortune in warranty repairs.

That's quite a standard practice though?

I mean, we all know that rooting or jailbreaking can void your warranty, and while I get its a minor annoyance, it's something we should be ready to deal with.

Iirc, HTC already has this same software going?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's quite a standard practice though?

I mean, we all know that rooting or jailbreaking can void your warranty, and while I get its a minor annoyance, it's something we should be ready to deal with.

Iirc, HTC already has this same software going?

Up till now Samsung has always played nice with the open source community, they even donated their S2 to the Cyanogen team to further development. But lately that have been doing a uturn.

Rooting does not void your warranty under EU law : http://piana.eu/root

kaimera wrote: »
    @ac - pics didn't seem so bad.

pity they are online, not in store

Most pictures look grand when it's at an angle but the ones showing just the side of the phone are the ones that worry me.

http://cdn.sulitstatic.com/images/2012/0923/021147264_02113173baad5b3b995dd958e0da330a73352c46632ddd2a.jpg

http://www.cellphoneaccents.com/productpics/AltViews/extended-lithium-ion-battery-w-door-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-white-4300-mah-23706-0.jpg

I'd have to see one in person before I'd get one. I imagine it's a lot more difficult to get a case for it as well.

I have an Anker 4400mah battery. The added size and weight doesn't bother me, in fact it makes my phone feel more sturdy in the hand.

I have an Anker 4400mah battery. The added size and weight doesn't bother me, in fact it makes my phone feel more sturdy in the hand.
    got a link to where you purchased?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

so its bulkier and they provide the new back cover also? im looking at this as an option even for a backup battery or maybe for holidays etc
    would be really useful to have 2x battery life oO

Yeah it would be useful as a backup battery or for a long flight or something as it's not that much more expensive than the normal battery.

tried any cases?

there is a seidio case for extended batterys that's got good reviews but no luck getting it on Amazon (parcel motel maybe)

picked up the 4400 ankel battery.

all great so far.

don't mind the new bulky back cover. need to get some changes into the battery for more accurate update but easily blows the stock away even after the initial charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Where is the best place to buy a spare battery ? I don't want the one that you need a new back case for, just a spare standard one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

threein99 wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy a spare battery ? I don't want the one that you need a new back case for, just a spare standard one

Really?

RangeR wrote: »

I mean can someone recommend one, I know there's loads out there, I don't want a crap one.

I mean can someone recommend one, I know there's loads out there, I don't want a crazy one.

I just did.

I just did.

Is the sarcasm free of charge?

Is the sarcasm free of charge?

What sarcasm? I made a recommendation. The original SGSIII battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

would someone mind telling me if this will work here?and is there any reason that i should be wary of buying it from the states?
    thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VCRRNS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1S7YS0EBKHU3D

It will work. I still wouldn't purchase it from the states. For the sake of a few quid, I'd purchase it a little bit closer to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

It will work. I still wouldn't purchase it from the states. For the sake of a few quid, I'd purchase it a little bit closer to home.

in case something goes wrong with it is it?

• Advertisement

crazygeryy wrote: »
    would someone mind telling me if this will work here?and is there any reason that i should be wary of buying it from the states?
    thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VCRRNS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1S7YS0EBKHU3D

It will work. You will be probably be hit by customs (~€100) plus the cost of whatever alternative delivery method you are using. Plus you'll be buying from a third party seller on a US website, so you'll have lots of fun if you need to get it fixed under warranty. Probably not worth the hassle.

Advertisement