Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Modding Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

What kind of battery life and you getting from your S3 with a custom ROM on board?

With Slim ICS 3.7 on my Samsung Galaxy S, I can generally get about 12+ hours, which includes around 4 hours of screen 'time on' out of my phone, which is fairly decent for what I need. (happy to charge the phone every night)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

what bug is that? I never use the autobrightness on mine.
    Neither do I but the screen will still auto adjust. It's particularly bad when using the stock browser, I actually really like the stock browser except for this issue.

The screen brightness option specific to the browser seems a waste to me, especially when it won't stick to the option I tell it to (that being default to what ever I have the rest of the phone at)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Ste05 wrote: »
    This is my first Samsung phone, can someone recommend the best Samsung Devs on XDA? I know who's who with HTC but I don't recognise any of the Samsung guys.

So which Rom are you guys using, I haven't rooted yet, I'm waiting to see how the custom Roms are coming along, but I noticed a couple of them have fixed the Automatic Brightness Bug which is stating to annoy me these days.
    I eventually settled with foxhound on the SII so that's what I've gone for on the SIII and i'm happy with it.

It's still too early to know what's the best rom but have a read on xda and see if any of the features interest you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Soon I will be joining the SGS3 world, coming from an SGS1 I`ve had for about 2 years, I`m looking forward to using it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭5500

Using omega 5.1 at the moment Im just getting over 2 days with moderate usage (3hours screen on) looking at changing to foxhound though as theme wise it looks better and i always used his roms on the s2 aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

5500 wrote: »
    Using omega 5.1 at the moment Im just getting over 2 days with moderate usage (3hours screen on) looking at changing to foxhound though as theme wise it looks better and i always used his roms on the s2 aswell.

Can I flash omega using CWM? I only ever flashed one rom before on my S2 and that was using Odin. It's a full wipe as well I presume?

Managed to root my SGS3, I have to say first impressions of the phone are, WOW.

Really looking forward to getting a good ICS ROM on here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Came across this post on xda regarding disabling fast dormancy to get rid of the cell standby drain:

dormancy setting solved my battery issue
    I'm on vodafone UK, and had problems having enough battery power to use the phone for a day. "Cell standby" used to consume around 5% per hour. Also, I was seeing the network switching between H, H+ and 3G every couple of seconds.

Since I rooted my phone and added the following line to "/system/build.prop", my cell standby usage more than halved:

PHP Code:
    ro.ril.fast.dormancy.rule=0
    My cell standby is now 1.5%-2% per hour. Also, the network stays much more often on H, and sometimes goes up to H+.

Other stats:
    * Screen consumes around 10% per hour (when on).
    * Streaming a movie/youtube (including screen consumption), consumption is around 20% per hour (Under Settings -> battery, I see that under "Screen", "mediaserver" and "VPlayer").
    * Browsing doesn't seem to add up too much to that 10% screen consumption

Wondering did anyone know if the networks over here support it?

Looking at my battery stats (see attached) and cell standby seems to be taking up way way too much or am I just over reacting guys?? I have not yet rooted but am so very tempted! Another question I have is when out and about on either 3G, H or H+ my signal bar is always grey?? Is this the same for all of you guys? I was kinda expecting it to be green. Same with WiFi, it's grey all the time bar the little arrows which are coloured now and again?

Cheers,
    M

Can I flash omega using CWM? I only ever flashed one rom before on my S2 and that was using Odin. It's a full wipe as well I presume?

Yes just download the rom on your phone or laptop/pc and transfare to phone then flash from within cwm, same method as you used on the sgs2.

There appears to be an issue/bug with cell standby, its the main culprit for my battery drain but not to the point where Im getting low useage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Yes just download the rom on your phone or laptop/pc and transfare to phone then flash from within cwm, same method as you used on the sgs2.

There appears to be an issue/bug with cell standby, its the main culprit for my battery drain but not to the point where Im getting low useage

I'm having the cell standby issue as well.....on stock right now but very close to putting FoxHOund on mine....

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Neither do I but the screen will still auto adjust. It's particularly bad when using the stock browser, I actually really like the stock browser except for this issue.

The screen brightness option specific to the browser seems a waste to me, especially when it won't stick to the option I tell it to (that being default to what ever I have the rest of the phone at)

Have you tried unticking Settings-> Power saving -> Background colour?

dango wrote: »
    That seems to have fixed it!! Nice one.

I`ve done that, do I need to reboot for it to take effect?

Also do any of ya`s get a network error sometimes when using S-Voice?

I got a network error for the first time today as it happens but i rarely use it

lewis wrote: »
    It took effect immediately for me. Do you have Automatic Brightness ticked in the Browser Settings itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Well I posted a few days ago that I thought it was my cell standby that was causing the drain so I turned off wifi/mobile data for 3 hours and I got ZERO battery drain!

I did the same with wifi turned on just a while ago and got the following few screen shots of the results:

[IMG][/img]screenshot2012061917403.th.png screenshot2012061917402.th.png screenshot2012061917395.th.png screenshot2012061917400.th.png screenshot2012061917401.th.png

Now i've everything possible turned off regarding apps working in the background etc. I ran cpuspy, watchdog app and a few others as well as used autostarts(which is excellent imo).

So the lads over on xda reckon that because I've narrowed the drain down to wifi/mobile data that I should flash a new modem.

Has anyone any experience with doing this? I'm rooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bluegrass

Just got a software update on notifications.. If I download this, will the phone be unrooted again ?

It took effect immediately for me. Do you have Automatic Brightness ticked in the Browser Settings itself.

Nope.

I know there`s a ton of guides around on how to root, but I found this guide, it`s very simple and up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

lewis wrote: »

Also do any of ya`s get a network error sometimes when using S-Voice?

In the browser have you selected brightness and colours and changed colour level to default?

About the S-Voice, I reckon it uses wolfram alpha or another web-based service which required either wifi or decent 3g reception to work. Not 100% sure of this though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

You can do it via Odin. I did it on my SGSII but I haven't even started modding my SIII yet. I'd be careful with it though, make sure that whatever modem you choose is compatible in Ireland or you could run into signal issues. Modems vary from region to region AFAIK.

So the lads over on xda reckon that because I've narrowed the drain down to wifi/mobile data that I should flash a new modem.

You can flash it in cwm the same way as you would flash a rom if it's a zip what's your current modem/baseband? Mine is XXLE8 and I'm going to change myself too.

Don't be afraid to try a few different types either

In the browser have you selected brightness and colours and changed colour level to default?

Yup..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

What Roms are people using, Omega 7 (Omega Files Kitchen, Custom Installation) by indie here, very smooth
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1663656

bogman wrote: »
    What Roms are people using, Omega 7 (Omega Files Kitchen, Custom Installation) by indie here, very smooth
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1663656

Slim ICS here, but Omega would be my second choice, very tempted...

You using it?

I'm using Omega and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it, but I haven't tried anything else, what are people using now that we've had a few weeks.

I'm using foxhound rising blacked but the last two days I've had huge battery drain and lag so I'm thinking of a switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Omega 7.1 released this morning.............

Updated from V7 lewis
    From XDA
    New: from Omega 7

FastDormancy Toggle for i9300 v1.0 by gokhanmoral
    Light Manager by MC Koo
    Updated:
    Google+ v3.0.1.31545355
    Maps v6.9.0
    Street View v1.8.1.0
    hosts
    Mods:
    All mods from previous versions added
    More Tweaks
    Fixed:
    Stock Browser "find in this page" function FC in non English system language selection, when you flash extend power menu mod for Omega Files
    Theme Stock:
    Blue Circle Battery icons - painted by kalagas
    Rom is Deodexed + Rooted + Zipaligned
    Rom is no full Wipe

Omega Files Updates:
    Animations: Jelly Bean Animations
    Animations: Stock SG3 Animations
    Camera: HX Camera MOD1.4 XXALF6
    Fonts: Jelly Bean Fonts
    Kernels: Abyss S3 kernel 1.3
    Kernels: N.E.A.K v1.0x
    Kernels: franco.Kernel r7
    Kernels: SiyahKernel S3-v1.3.3beta
    Kernels: Phenomenal 0.1
    Programs: SGS3 Easy UMS v1.2 beta
    Programs: Google Maps v6.8.1 - World Navigation Activated
    Mods: Loud Volume Hack
    Themes: Greyscale by Kalagas for v7.1
    Themes: Mixed by Kalagas for v7.1
    Themes: Toggle Buttons Blue icons
    Themes: Toggle Buttons Stock Green icons
    Themes: Toggle Buttons ICS icons
    Themes: Toggle Buttons Kalagas Mixed
    Themes: Toggle Buttons Kalagas Grayscale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Got an S3 today and rooted within a few hours. I'll be back in a few days, not liking Touchwiz but gonna give it a few days till I ROM it

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Got an S3 today and rooted within a few hours. I'll be back in a few days, not liking Touchwiz but gonna give it a few days till I ROM it

Yeah do man, I should have stayed a little longer with the stock feel, it was`nt the worst...

Advertisement