Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Modding Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Got my S3 yesterday and I'm just wondering what's the best rooting path if I want to get onto the latest version of Slim? Do I need to just root to get CWM, do the standard wipes and then flash Slim as normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi

New to android, and rooting and all that craic, so I've been trying to get it done on my own, but I'm going round in circles and have a few questions:

I've been on the xda forum here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1695238 and here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1347899

I think I'm goifg along the right lines, but...

I have mobile odin on the S3, but it says I have to be already rooted before that will work, so that leaves me with trying to root it first, presumably using the desktop version of Odin?

Only snag is, the desktop version is an .exe file, and I'm using a Mac. So it won't run the program. That leaves me with no real option to root using Odin.

Is there another way to root the phone?

All I want to do is put the latest Samsung firmware on it, but as I'm with Three, I've been told it could be months before they release it. So am I right in thinking that I have to root and then flash with the Samsung firmware ROM???

Apologies for the newbie questions, and thanks in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so what roms are you all using,

currently on the latest stock rooted, tried omega and but couldnt see the point really, whats good at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I'm back on stock after a brief shot of CM9. Went back to stock after a few things stopped working with CM9.

Had flashed a brilliant ICS theme and was delighted with that but it didn't work with the latest firmware so waiting on an update for it to get my phone back to the lovely ICS feel.

What was the theme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I've switched from foxhound blacked to mcr vanilla prebake (because I was too lazy to go through all the kitchen options!)

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I've switched from foxhound blacked to mcr vanilla prebake (because I was too lazy to go through all the kitchen options!)

what advantages is it offering over stock mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

i am using this http://checkrom.com/

so far its the best rom and you can cook it the way you want it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Cyrus wrote: »
    what advantages is it offering over stock mate?

Very little tbh, all the samsung stuff is removed so i've lost s-voice and the like. I've just gone through the kitchen options there now and i'm downloading a new rom with some of the samsung bits in.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355316-modaco-custom-rom-ir1-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-new-trackball-alert-support/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Omega 8 has been released.

Must say the S3 is a fine piece of kit on the stock rom, those that will not root wont be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is there any ROM based on the stock ROM? There's a few features I'd not like to lose like Smart stay and dialling when holding to your ear with a contact open. I'm also very happy with the camera opening speed on stock, would want this in a custom ROM.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Is there any ROM based on the stock ROM? There's a few features I'd not like to lose like Smart stay and dialling when holding to your ear with a contact open. I'm also very happy with the camera opening speed on stock, would want this in a custom ROM.

Yes check http://checkrom.com/

akamossie wrote: »

The thread on the version released Saturday has posts of the camera having black screen. No CWM either. Looks like it's early days and still has many bugs. I think I'll hold off for now. I am rooted and I can use another launcher to get away from Touchwiz but I'd love to be able to change resolution, stock is horrible and big.

I am using CheckRom V2 and working good so far, didn't know V3 was released :)

Did a no-wipe to CheckRom from stock this morning. Not noticed many huge differences other than the notification menu brightness slider from the latest Samsung firmware. I also installed the camera mod.

Is there a kernel worth flashing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Just flashed Omega 8.1 from Slim, seems pretty good, just as fast as Slim, worth holding onto for a while.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Did a no-wipe to CheckRom from stock this morning. Not noticed many huge differences other than the notification menu brightness slider from the latest Samsung firmware. I also installed the camera mod.

Is there a kernel worth flashing?

siyahkernel is the best so far i see. Have a look at the kitchen pro app, a lot mods can be found there as well

siyahkernel is the best so far i see. Have a look at the kitchen pro app, a lot mods can be found there as well

Already took a chance on franco after reading the reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭5500

Ive just installed foxhound 1.0 after moving from omega v8 and its super smooth no problems to report at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

Folks

what Custom Recovery tool are you using? I rooted my S3 but the CM Recovery that was installed is pants, its too basic, it doesn't allow you to do a Nandroid backup, just wipe and apply update.zip, it seems it's the android system recovery 3e version

I have flashed both CM 1.5 and recovery-cwmtouch-i9300-5.8.4.3-gsm, they both look like they flash successfully in Odin but when I boot into recovery, I still get the Android System Recovery tool, any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

stackeye wrote: »
    Folks

what Custom Recovery tool are you using? I rooted my S3 but the CM Recovery that was installed is pants, its too basic, it doesn't allow you to do a Nandroid backup, just wipe and apply update.zip, it seems it's the android system recovery 3e version

I have flashed both CM 1.5 and recovery-cwmtouch-i9300-5.8.4.3-gsm, they both look like they flash successfully in Odin but when I boot into recovery, I still get the Android System Recovery tool, any ideas?

Thanks

Try again with these.

CFroot 6.3
    http://download.chainfire.eu/194/CF-Root/SGS3/CF-Root-SGS3-v6.3.zip?retrieve_file=1

ODIN 1.85
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=581913&d=1304094576

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey guys,
    Originally had the RGUI ROM on the GS3 for few weeks and all was hunky dory......then last Friday the phone would not make or receive calls even though I had full signal bars and data worked fine plus SMS was fine.

Been back and forth with Vodafone there the past few days and changed mico SIM etc. It worked for a while and then stopped working again. I then tried an O2 micro SIM and no issues making calls at all so it seems it's not the phone. Thing is I tried my Vodafone micro SIM in another handset and all works fine so that would lead me to think that it is indeed the actual Galaxy S3?? I have since flashed a number of different ROM's and am now back on stock again but still no joy with the calls??

Anyone else had anything like this happen them? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    M

it sounds, the files haven't been pushed properly, I believe Dotsie~tmp post should resolve this now

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Originally had the RGUI ROM on the GS3 for few weeks and all was hunky dory......then last Friday the phone would not make or receive calls even though I had full signal bars and data worked fine plus SMS was fine.

Been back and forth with Vodafone there the past few days and changed mico SIM etc. It worked for a while and then stopped working again. I then tried an O2 micro SIM and no issues making calls at all so it seems it's not the phone. Thing is I tried my Vodafone micro SIM in another handset and all works fine so that would lead me to think that it is indeed the actual Galaxy S3?? I have since flashed a number of different ROM's and am now back on stock again but still no joy with the calls??

Anyone else had anything like this happen them? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    M

What baseband you have? can be check in the settings - about phone

What baseband you have? can be check in the settings - about phone

Hello mate,
    It says I9300DXLEA, I tried to flash another different radio I found over the weekend on XDA but that did not seem to work.

I think the current stock ROM I am on may possibly not be for this region as I used MSKIP's Toolkit to flash it. Would you have a link for a stock UK\Ireland ROM I could try?

All the best,
    Mark

I am using Omega 9.0 ROM and its own modem I9300DXLF3 and working with no issues, I suggest do a full wipe and install either this rom or i can recommend as well Checkrom V3.5, both are using the latest modem and works with no issues.

CheckRom v3.5

Omega 9.0

I am using Omega 9.0 ROM and its own modem I9300DXLF3 and working with no issues, I suggest do a full wipe and install either this rom or i can recommend as well Checkrom V3.5, both are using the latest modem and works with no issues.

CheckRom v3.5

Omega 9.0

OK mate, will give them Omega a go. Are you using the stock one or the AOKP one?

Thanks,
    M

The Stock one.

• Advertisement

The Stock one.

Cheers, just curious, are you on Vodafone??

Advertisement