Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Modding Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hope you do mate.....can't praise the Toolkit enough as he created one for the Galaxy Nexus last year and it's a breeze to use and just makes messing with ROM's etc. so much easier!

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The Samsung Jellybean test firmware has leaked
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1835931

To answer someones question earlier, it's got both Google Now and S voice.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The Samsung Jellybean test firmware has leaked
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1835931

To answer someones question earlier, it's got both Google Now and S voice.

Oh happy days! Kinda glad I stayed on stock now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

• Advertisement

Good stuff mate!

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    SuperNexus is vanilla Android from the Nexus (AOSP)

Took your advice and flashed that last night. Very happy so far and the battery life seems decent so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nope, I never want to see touchwiz again. AOSP and AOKP for me from now on.

• Advertisement

I am on stock still and eagerly awaiting the official JB update next week! Speed wise mate is there much of a difference to ICS? Is it really all that buttery smooth?

Cheers,
    M

Cheers mate. I have a Vodafone unit and would love to completely get rid of that bloat that they have added!! I have disabled what I can but is there a way to fully remove it? I don't mind rooting if that is what is required but I don't want to have the phone wiped and start back from scratch again if that is what root will do......

Cheers,
    M

Ah ha!! Me thinks that the second option sounds way better mate! And where would one get an unbranded firmware?? I guess the phone will still be locked to Vodafone even after flashing the unbranded firmware?

Thanks,
    M

Great mate, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Klept0

Currently on Miui 2.8.17 and Siyah v1.5, everything is smooth so far. Thinking about moving to Paranoid Android for awhile, see what the performance and battery life is like seeing as Miui can be notorious for battery depletion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

@Madmoe: I've been getting the latest firmware from here: XDA and here is detailed flashing instructions which is very straight forward XDA

Just a question though I have about the whole process is that I previously updated I9300XXBLG8 using Odin and now I see there is a new version available I9300XXBLH1. This new version says it is for Nordic countries but I am on 3 in Ireland. In all the other firmwares I updated it had been unbranded UK so just wondering would I encounter any problems updating to the latest firmware?

s_carnage wrote: »
    @Madmoe: I've been getting the latest firmware from here: XDA and here is detailed flashing instructions which is very straight forward XDA

Just a question though I have about the whole process is that I previously updated I9300XXBLG8 using Odin and now I see there is a new version available I9300XXBLH1. This new version says it is for Nordic countries but I am on 3 in Ireland. In all the other firmwares I updated it had been unbranded UK so just wondering would I encounter any problems updating to the latest firmware?

Cheers for that.....is I9300XXBLH1 the Jellybean update or still on ICS do you know? I would try and find out what the latest unbranded firmware for the UK is.

Thanks,
    M

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote: »
    Cheers for that.....is I9300XXBLH1 the Jellybean update or still on ICS do you know? I would try and find out what the latest unbranded firmware for the UK is.

Thanks,
    M

They are both on ICS. I've updated to I9300XXBLG8 and that is unbranded UK anyways but just don't know if it is wise to update to I9300XXBLH1 as it says its for Nordic countries. I think I'll wait until the official JB firmware is released before updating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

yeah im wondering should i install one of them? is it just a case of download and install from zip? no flashing required? thats my guess since its an "update" as such...?
    EDIT: ADLH7 is out which is gonna be the official one apparently, so im going about flashing that at the moment..
    seems its a full flash (800Mb file) so means im gonna lose data etc in doing so :(
    ah well...
    heres hoping i have done my backups right :D

yeah im in the process of doing it anyways so may as well (at work since, had to leave it installing, didnt think stuff would take so long :) ). since its an "official" build im flashing i figured i would still be able to recieve the ota updates no?

so comments... browser is lightning fast. default that is. pages are loading instantly for me.
    pulldown menu is a lot tidier and nicer.brightness thing doesnt hog as much space..all in all theres more room as its higher res or something.
    volume seems much louder. volume settings have 4 options now.
    still messing around. most other stuff is around the same..
    settings menus are altered hugely. the main settings menu now has a lot more options with fewer sub menus i think it is.
    have a few bugs so far alright like swiftkey keyboard isnt working perfectly but i think i just need a reboot atm.
    am pretty chuffed as i did loads of backups etc then flashed with odin.took 5 mins and overwrote nothing. maybe thats why i have a few bugs in apps as it advises a wipe.
    everything is as it was before just now its in jellybean :)
    enjoy the ota update everyone in a few days.. ;)

kenyard wrote: »
    so comments... browser is lightning fast. default that is. pages are loading instantly for me.
    pulldown menu is a lot tidier and nicer.brightness thing doesnt hog as much space..all in all theres more room as its higher res or something.
    volume seems much louder. volume settings have 4 options now.
    still messing around. most other stuff is around the same..
    settings menus are altered hugely. the main settings menu now has a lot more options with fewer sub menus i think it is.
    have a few bugs so far alright like swiftkey keyboard isnt working perfectly but i think i just need a reboot atm.
    am pretty chuffed as i did loads of backups etc then flashed with odin.took 5 mins and overwrote nothing. maybe thats why i have a few bugs in apps as it advises a wipe.
    everything is as it was before just now its in jellybean :)
    enjoy the ota update everyone in a few days.. ;)

Are you rooted? If not what did you use to back up everything??

s_carnage wrote: »
    Are you rooted? If not what did you use to back up everything??

i assumed you needed to be rooted to flash a rom anyway also no?
    and yeah i am..rooting is one click, and easy undo anyway so i have no issues with doing it. backups =important imo
    messed up somewhere first in backups using some toolkit which has everything in it, but had a fullbackup from ~1 month ago anyway so wasnt too worried - and bricked the phone so decided i had to flash the 4.1.1 firmware anyway :P
    based on what it is im guessing i can recieve the OTA update when on this anyway - the official one when it comes out
    its probably gonna be a huge update for everyone else too. im guessing >200mb. as the kernel stays mostly the same i think

from my experience with it so far anyway its much faster than before. i also checked memory and it seems to have more free in a given instance (200Mb) compared to what i used to have before (jumped a lot between 50-200mb i think)

heres hoping the official one comes out the 29th as planned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Flashed the phone with leaked JB last night in hope it would fix the constant app freezing and fc's.

Everything does run smoother and nicer but some parts of the system still seem to be buggy as expected. Bookmarks in the browser dont work. If you try add hotmail through native email client it crashes the phone and I keep getting an fc on cloud sync.

Gonna back up the apps and try a hard reset. Maybe that will help fix those.

• Advertisement

i have the exact same bugs, well browser one at least so i guess its the update...

email client wasnt working with my hotmail.co.uk account for the past 2-3 weeks anyway so i dont think that is a new issue

i dont use cloud sync.

Advertisement