Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutrition before and during exams?

• 05-06-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I just tried Berocca Boost for the first time today as it was advice from another thread to use it before exams. I feel ridiculously energised, like I just ate a pack of skittles when I was five. Is anyone else taking supplements or have a diet plan for the exams?

And during the exams, bottle of water and a pack of chewing gums is what I'm planning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Wanchor wrote: »
    And during the exams, bottle of water and a pack of chewing gums is what I'm planning.

Good luck keeping your stomach from rumbling! :P I'd avoid chewing gum as much as possible, you'll be hungry enough without it! Bring some sweets or something small to eat incase you're starving halfway through an exam. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A bowl of porridge in the morning, never fails OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Togepi wrote: »
    Good luck keeping your stomach from rumbling! :P I'd avoid chewing gum as much as possible, you'll be hungry enough without it! Bring some sweets or something small to eat incase you're starving halfway through an exam. :)

That's a very good point. I was just thinking it would keep me occupied instead of lifting my head and falling into a daydream. Good advice, thanks.
    A bowl of porridge in the morning, never fails OP.

Sound like me mum! I just might try it. Chuck in a couple of bananas and it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yep porridge is great, started eating it for breakfast about halfway through the year. Before I started I'd always be starving at the 11 o'clock break without fail, but once I began having it, I'd never actually feel hungry during the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Jack 3d or a scoop of glucose should do ye trick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

i just get sugar rushes from eating these all day. . not healthy but sure what can i do, i like sweets.
    turtlestub.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Bran flakes and soya milk in the morning, then a glucose based drink and a bottle of water for the exam. I reckon you'd be grand without the glucose based drink in the exam, I just have really low blood pressure and I find they help me when I feel faint. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Weetabix or Oatibix or porridge.

Then for the exam I have a pack of fruit pastilles , I might buy chewing gum too. I think I had mints or pastilles for last years exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Bran flakes and soya milk in the morning, then a glucose based drink and a bottle of water for the exam.

Hooooooooow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Coco Pops and a Bagel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Bran flakes and soya milk in the morning, then a glucose based drink and a bottle of water for the exam. I reckon you'd be grand without the glucose based drink in the exam, I just have really low blood pressure and I find they help me when I feel faint. :)

surprised-long-neck-surprise.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I know, I know. I'm a really healthy (aka boring) eater. :P I actually really like Bran Flakes and the only milks I like are coconut and soya.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

porridge! Also started eating it halfway during 6th year, very filling and keeps ya going for that day :)
    might try this berroca boost thing tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Can't stand soy milk but Bran Flakes are epic! :D
    I'm bringing those Cadburys Chocos things into my exams with me cos otherwise I'll crash and burn two hours in, guaranteed. The mocks were NOT fun.
    Incidentally, can they take them off me since there's print on the wrapper? Should I unwrap them?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Im bringing some penguin bars into the exam tomorrow so I can get some inspiration from the jokes on the back for my essay

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Lads it's only 3 hours? Have breakfast in the morning as usual. Maybe a cereal bar before you go in if you're that worried about getting hungry, then a sandwich at 12:30... You'll be grand. I'm sure food is the last thing a lot of people are worrying about at the moment :D Have a good nights sleep tonight and the rest will follow :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

A big fat buttery omlette with tomatoes, onions & peppers :D

Keep you going 'till evening & it's got lots of healthy fat

Chicken with a big ass salad for dinner.

Nuts n' seeds for snacks...

That's all I need! :D

Oh, and also, get some exercise during the exams! Go for a walk, kick a ball around; don't mind anyone else, it's great exercise! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Porridge is the breakfast of champions.

If you have an afternoon exam, avoid stodgy food at lunchtime, it will make you drowsy.
    A nice chicken salad wth nuts is a way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm going to have porridge tomorrow morning with a Berocca boost! I can't drink after like 7.00 though, i've a really bad bladder! :L It's not even funny. If I have the tiniest sip of water/drink or whatever I have to use the bathroom straight away.. It's unhealthy really! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

I'm going to have porridge tomorrow morning with a Berocca boost! I can't drink after like 7.00 though, i've a really bad bladder! :L It's not even funny. If I have the tiniest sip of water/drink or whatever I have to use the bathroom straight away.. It's unhealthy really! :P

Berocca Boost <3

and porridge sounds great too, as long as I'm not making it -- it resembles slop if I do.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

With Berocca you're essentially being over-charged for some B-vitamins. As mentioned, porridge is ideal. If you take too much coffee/supplements, you're gonna have a bad time :pac:

(refer to Will's final exams in the Inbetweeners)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

Do yous believe only getting a few hours of sleep is a really bad idea? I'm afraid that on the night of history and French I simply won't have time to sleep! In what ways would it affect my exam, that I won't have concentration? I dont think I've a choice at this stage, it'll be coffee and energy drinks all night for me if I want to get it covered

Same might go for biology

You HAVE to get sleep! Trust me on this, you NEED sleep. Sleep is when your brain absorbs information, so it won't go in properly without sleeping.

(The vast majority of my nutrition plans went out the window btw, and have been replaced by huge quantities of chocolate. Oh well :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Nutrition? Steroids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

jmclee wrote: »
    Do yous believe only getting a few hours of sleep is a really bad idea? I'm afraid that on the night of history and French I simply won't have time to sleep! In what ways would it affect my exam, that I won't have concentration? I dont think I've a choice at this stage, it'll be coffee and energy drinks all night for me if I want to get it covered

Same might go for biology

If you're not used to doing exams on very little sleep, it would be a very bad idea to start in the middle of your Leaving Cert. Plan your study well between now and then. If it works for you, make out a timetable from now that will give you enough time for those subjects. It might not seem like it, but there is time left, just use it effectively :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Porridge was really good! I felt a lot more energetic on the day before English 1 and 2. Berocca on the other hand was great for about ~4 hours of energy, after that I seem to get really tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

If you're not used to doing exams on very little sleep, it would be a very bad idea to start in the middle of your Leaving Cert. Plan your study well between now and then. If it works for you, make out a timetable from now that will give you enough time for those subjects. It might not seem like it, but there is time left, just use it effectively :)

I went on little sleep for some mock papers! I just imagine the adrenaline of being in the exam situation will have me going, I have to prioritise Irish this weekend so I don't know if I can fit it innnn, I'll see what I can do though thanks

Is Berocca the same as vitamin c drinks? Just the ones that fizz in water? I take them everyday routinely and they don't energise me

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

My nutrition has gone out the window since the exams started, gimme more pizza to eat away my leaving cert doubt.

My nutrition has gone out the window since the exams started, gimme more pizza to eat away my leaving cert doubt.

This is so me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Complex carbs are your best friends. Brown rice and tuna/chicken/turkey with some brocolli and spinach for dinner, sorted!

Porridge for breakfast, two egg omelete cooked in olive oil. Throw in some peppers and away you go.

For lunch, whole grain tortilla wrap with some chicken/turkey/tuna with some salad type stuff in the wrap!

Peanut butter sandwich is also great for a snack!

This is pretty much what I eat. If it's good enough for someone training for the military it's good enough for exams! :p

Advertisement