Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these fish or pests?

Options
  • 05-06-2012 1:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

My oscars ahve been clearing the gravel and hanging out in one end of the tank for several weeks now.
    I assume they've been going through a breeding ritual although i havnt seen any eggs.

Yesterday i noticed hundreds of tiny wriggling things,no more than a couple of millimetres long. Initially i thought they could be fry but they really do appear to be too small and actually resemble mosquito larva or something like that.

Its unlikely that mozzies culd have gotten into the tank but these really dont look like fish at least not yet.

Anybody any ideas how big oscar fry start off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Looks like your a daddy!

PA023381copy.jpg
    Oscar fry.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sure it's not daphnia?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Sounds like planaria.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Silverfish wrote: »
    Sounds like planaria.

Just googled,its almost certainly not the same thing....these look like tiny fish but cant discern eyes or anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Degsy wrote: »
    Just googled,its almost certainly not the same thing....these look like tiny fish but cant discern eyes or anything.

Okay, quick then and get a floating plastic fry trap, you're a daddy.

Until you can make out what they are, it's better to be on the safe side and stop them getting eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Sleepy wrote: »
    Sure it's not daphnia?

I was thinking the same thing

Can you take a photo

They're not daphnia and i'm pretty sure they're not fish,they appear to be some sort of fly larvae as there was a few dead midges on the surface when i opened up the tank..they sort of wriggle near the surface but have no discernable heads or eyes.

Just wondering will they cause a problem for the fish as its impossible to get them all out without draining the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

They'd make great fish food but you'd have to ask yourself how they got there in the first place.

They'd make great fish food but you'd have to ask yourself how they got there in the first place.

Well i recently got some snails off somebody but i didnt notice these things til a good while afterwards.

I presume they were laid by flies who got in through the gap in the lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Could of got in with the food, especially if you're feeding live stuff from the garden etc.

• Advertisement

Could of got in with the food, especially if you're feeding live stuff from the garden etc.

Thats possible..i give them a lot of earthworms.

Advertisement