Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adventure racing forum is very quiet

• 05-06-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

The forum has been very quiet lately, e.g., several races have happened recently with little or no comment: Moxie, Blackstairs, Rough Diamond

I wonder why? Perhaps the ongoing debate about what constitutes an adventure race as distinct from a multi-sport challenge, is putting people off. Or maybe it's just that the numbers are down because of the recession.

In any event, I enjoy both types of event and I like reading about them too. Hence this post.

It would be good to see race reports, for example.

I'm doing the Dingle AR next weekend. I might write up something if my performance isn't an embarrassment!

I'm thinking about the Rogaine (6) later in the month. I'm pretty inexperienced at navigating so the 24 hour is biting off too much this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Enduro

former wrote: »
    The forum has been very quiet lately, e.g., several races have happened recently with little or no comment: Moxie, Blackstairs, Rough Diamond

I wonder why? Perhaps the ongoing debate about what constitutes an adventure race as distinct from a multi-sport challenge, is putting people off. Or maybe it's just that the numbers are down because of the recession.

I would guess numbers are down because plenty of people do one of the multisports races to tick a box, get the t-shirt, whatever. The numbers do seem to be down across the board. There are also so many of them out there that they must be canibalising each other to an extent.

Funnily enough most of the real adventure races fill to capacity these days. They can only cope with smaller numbers, and I would guess that there are a lot more repeat offenders!
    former wrote: »
    I'm thinking about the Rogaine (6) later in the month. I'm pretty inexperienced at navigating so the 24 hour is biting off too much this year.

Actually, the 24 hour would probably be better for you then. You have a lot more time to make up for mistakes (a 1 hour mistake in a 24 hour race isn't too big a deal compared to a 1 hour mistake in a 6 hour race), and since its all a learning experience, you'd be getting 24 hours of learning rather than 6.

I learned to navigate using events like the rogaine and the mountain marathons. They are superb for it. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i would imagine the numbers for multi sport races ( roar, gaelforce whatever ) are down in terms of discussion on here because the races have been around a couple of years now and the mystery/newness has gone out of them in terms of the questions people would usually be asking.. ive done a good few now and id have a fair idea what the set up is in most so the only thing id be asking on here is who else is doing a particular race...

gaelforce on again shortly and if you look at the threads from previous years their huge but most questions are probably anwered on them and a lot of competitors are doing it for the second or third time hence no questions..

ive no idea how numbers are in terms of actual races but with the amount of them on there has to be a drop off somewhere.. few years ago there was a half dozen races.. now theres one in almost every county..so why would you travel to mayo/galway if theres one outside your door..

i thought with the amount of races ( of all kinds ) on last year that there would be a drop off this year and only the quality ones would survive but it doesnt actualy look like falling away this year anyway

in terms of race reports, unless people are close to the top end they probably feel embarassed giving a blow by blow account of how a race went for them, .. i know i wouldnt be doing one.. but i have read others and enjoyed them

Advertisement