Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for writing an essay for the English JC?

Options
  • 05-06-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Does anyone have any tips for writing essays for the JC? I can usually write essays well in class and at home, but when I'm in an exam I always get writer's block and I can't think of anything! I find the timing of one hour really limiting and I just can't think of how to start or form an essay. So any advice? I can give you a title that you can work with as an example if you want:

"A significant even that changed my life"

Much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Sometimes a short story isn't a great option because you don't have a huge amount of time to think up plot characters etc.

I like the personal essays because no matter how nervous you are on the day of the exam, you'll still be able to write about the things you believe in and are passionate about.

Good luck tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Epic Username

Junokevv wrote: »
    Sometimes a short story isn't a great option because you don't have a huge amount of time to think up plot characters etc.

I like the personal essays because no matter how nervous you are on the day of the exam, you'll still be able to write about the things you believe in and are passionate about.

Good luck tomorrow :)

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ButtonBox

You should start off with a brainstorm. :) Give your brainstorm 7/10 minutes, and stick to it for the entire essay. My teacher said they sometimes even give marks for brainstorms. :P

Before the exam, have a few things in mind.
    Like have a few character's already in your head, what they look like, their names, etc. You can put them to any essay title then, and you won't need to spend time stressing over them in the short hour.
    Have a few plots in mind, too. Like if you're better at writing fictional essays, think of some ideas that you could apply to any titles.
    Write out different outcomes, beginnings, middles.. But don't learn off a full essay, because you won't be guaranteed to get the title you want.

Just have a few different plots and outcomes in mind that you can readjust to fit the title. Have you characters learned, and you're set.
    Good luck. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Yup I tend to get writers block too, that's why I'm sticking to the speech question. (persuasive)

Also, I believe it's generally acceptable to do 2 and a half pages for it, so it's slightly shorter too..

I must admit, it can be hard to stretch it out that much, however if you include plenty of anecdotes, rhetorical questions, shocking stats (don't have to be real) as well as refer to the other side, you should be grand! :)

To be on the safe side though, you're better off learning characters & a general plot, just in case the speech question is horrible,

Good Luck!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭jd6920s

I think the speeches are grand :) over the last few years the topics are very easy :D im doing a speech because i am so bad at short stories .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I usually do the "things I hate/love/amaze me/am scared of/childhood experiences/memories, my favorite childhood place etc.:

Or sarcastic opinion pieces, e.g. "My recipe for happiness" would involve all my crazy little quirks/mad things I do, but stay happy as an individual.

E.g. 'I was a very cute toddler. I've seen the photographs.' - could be you reflecting on photos as an older person, remembering, I don't know, nearly shooting your sibling's head off by accident, you can do anything you like. (doesn't have to be true, remember.)

'My secret life as a superhero'- could be another sarcastic/exaggerated essay about how amazing you are compared to everyone else when everyone actually hates you

'What the world needs now' could be political, being nice to each other again, burying our nuclear arms, or even a speech as a US presidential candidate.

'A teenager's guide to life' - again, sarcastic essay works here (seeing a trend? :P )

'You are an alien visiting Earth for a day' - again could be funny, alien could be confused at laughter, Irish tea-drinking, etc, television.

'The talking Goldfish' - give him a funny name like Richard, who loves reading the Guardian and a fan of the queen (english accent)

These are all taken from past papers, not mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭orriray59

You don't really get writer's block, you get caught up in the exam and the whole hoo-hah of it all.

Take a deep breath. Be calm and write what comes to you. English is one of the easier exams, I've always felt. You just write what you think.

Advertisement