Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To build or not to build. Emmigration kunundrum.

Options
  • 05-06-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys I've a kunundrum.

Im emigrating to the states in September, and I'm not sure what to do about bringing my PC with me...

Here's my specs.

i7 - 950 (stock fan)
    Asus Sabretooth X58,
    Asus Xonar d2x,
    Evga GTX 560 Superclocked
    6gb Corsair vengeance, (1600Mhz)
    Samsung Spintpoint 1tb 7200rpm
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Antec 900

I built the machine last august, and it runs beautifully, ideally i'd like to shove in more ram, and max it out, and also add an SSD and a second GPU for sli, so I'm quite attached to it. Including a nice LED screen i think i spent around 1200 eur on it.

As you can see the since its inside an antec 900, its fairly big overall and I can't really bring it on the plane with me as hand luggage. I am willing to wrap it up, and throw it in with the luggage, but I'm not sure if that would be wise.

My other three choices are,

- Dismantle the PC, bring the parts but leave the case, buy a new one and rebuild in the states, : pain in the ass.

- Sell the computer to my Father who is in the market for a new one and is willing to give me as much as I have payed for it. then I would Just build a new one from scratch stateside.

- Give it to a third party to ship there for me. this could be quite expensive. one company quoted 200eur for air shipping. I am still waiting for a sea-quote but I'm told it would take ten weeks.

Not sure what to do. has anyone ever had shipping experience? has anyone chanced throwing a pc in with the luggage on a plane?

Is it worth looking up other haulage companies? I have other gear to bring, but id mostly get it on the plane between myself and my fiance. (6 Suitcases and carry on luggage).

If I have to rebuild what parts would you guys reccomend? it have 1200 eur to play with. (about 1480 dollars) I would like to stick with intel/nvdia, but I am open minded. I'd love to stick with the i7 processors they rule

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Option two obviously; components are much cheaper in the states, and you can redo your build with new components: IB, GTX 600/ HD7000 etc.

But then again, if you're really attached to it I'd ship it by air.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I think in the situation option 2 would be best especially if you will be getting as much for it as you paid..comsidering how quickly and how much computer hardware depreciates in value..it'll prob work out the cheapest option leaving you to build something new that'll prob be better performance wise than it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

The last time I emigrated (;)) I just dismantled the PC and brought everything over in the luggage.. and then just bought a case and put it back together.

..but my luggage looked very weird with all the cables (the PSU in particular), maybe the immigration in the US might take an issue with that sort of stuff inside the luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im not sure if they xray all your checked on luggage. If they do and they see all the wires they will probably search your case but there shouldn't be a problem.

Id say flog it to your dad is the best option. Components are a lot cheaper in the states so you should be able to build a better machine for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

MadYaker wrote: »
    Im not sure if they xray all your checked on luggage. If they do and they see all the wires they will probably search your case but there shouldn't be a problem.

Id say flog it to your dad is the best option. Components are a lot cheaper in the states so you should be able to build a better machine for the same money.

Yeah, he'll get flagged as a terrorist and end up having a TSA anal probe. Better to go with option 2 OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If I were in your situation I'd sell and build a new rig over there. Parts are cheaper in the US and you avoid any risks of damage/loss in transit.

Advertisement