Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about NPPR

Options
  • 05-06-2012 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    I'm living in a house owned by my parents, but they don't live here. (They are living abroad). This is the only house they own in Ireland. Do they have to pay the NPPR if a family member is living in the house (=me)?
    I have a feeling they have to pay, but am not sure. :confused: I'd appreciate if someone knows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

According to the NPPR website, it seems that they do have to pay the NPPR €200 charge (and also the €100 household charge)

On the website, https://www.nppr.ie/, click on the FAQ's tab on the top right,

In the "Sections" column, click on "The Charge and Liability",

then in the "Questions" column, scroll down and click on the last question:
    "If I live abroad and own a residential property in Ireland am I liable for the NPPR Charge?"

and the answer appears in the "Answers" column:
    "Yes. If you own a residential property in Ireland but do not live there as your sole/main residence you are liable to pay the €200 NPPR Charge."

Edit: You can also see all the FAQs in list form by clicking on the other link on the right hand side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 revontulet

:( thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I don't know, it's not a clear cut case with a child remaining in the house. I'd contact the NPPR section of your local council to get clarity on it.

Advertisement