Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

• 05-06-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Many a' thread will be popping up soon about the soon to be completed English Paper 1 so let's say we keep all discussion to this thread? :)

I think now is an appropriate time to create the thread considering there is less than 24 hours to go..

Good luck to all :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise in advance to my right hand for the pain it's going to go through over the next two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Togepi wrote: »
    I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise in advance to my right hand for the pain it's going to go through over the next two days.
    You have time for that sort of stuff? You'd be better off studying in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

treely wrote: »
    You have time for that sort of stuff? You'd be better off studying in that time.

Exactly what I was thinking.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Yes, those three seconds were mighty wasted. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FifaClubs Conor

How much are people planning on writing for each section?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

GTFO-Meme-Rage-Face.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

I'd be going with 2 to 2 1/2 on section b paper 1 comprehension.
    5-6 a4 for the composition.

6 for comparative,5 for hamlet and 5 for poetry. 1 1/2 a4 for unseen poem.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Paper 1
    Comprehension: A - the first two 15-markers about a page and the 20 about page and a half or two
    B: depends on what it is...if it is a speech that I'm hoping for then I usually do about two pages
    Composing: my teacher always said minimum 5..so that's what I'm aiming for

Paper 2
    single text - 3-4pgs
    poetry - 3-4pgs
    comparative - 5-6pgs
    unseen poetry - 1-2pgs

at least that's the according to my teacher:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I think I'm alright for paper one if a nice speech comes up for B and one of my two prepared essays fits one of the titles for the composing but I'm kind of dreading paper 2...
    All I know is GV&V for comparative, Plath and Rich for poetry and I kinda looked over Claudius, Hamlet and deception...trying to go over a bit of theme in the comparative just in case and tomorrow I will try to look at maybe women in Hamlet and another poet- probably Larkin:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Not to come across as pedantic but should the title not say Wednesday 6th June? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

leaveiton wrote: »
    Not to come across as pedantic but should the title not say Wednesday 6th June? :pac:

TOTES AWKY MOMO

220px-Wikip-facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Well don't I look silly now!

Well don't I look silly now!

Let's just pretend it was right all along.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Togepi wrote: »
    I broke my wrist and the cast is off a month. My hand is gonna be raped!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

How much should one (getting in the mood already...) write for Question A, Comprehending?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Well, we made it this far

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭It neny!

Made it this far! And it flew by!

Well done guys :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I thought that went so badly. A was grand, but B was terrible. I always do the letter but didn't have a clue who to write about. I thought my essay was quite entertaining though.

Mary Robinson was the best text I've seen in a while. Points to support her argument, effective speech writing and select images. Couldn't have been more straight forward. I'm terrible with descriptive writing and articles, the letter was worse so I went for the article. I only got a page and a half and ran out of ideas. I did a narative on the one about leaving a place when you turn 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

THAT WAS GRAND LADSSSSSS :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

Hated that paper. Usually I write anything factual to do with politics or current events, especially journalist piece, but nothing inspired. :(
    Ended up choosing the short story "rock band howling for fame" writing a poem in the middle of it! More of a personal essay than story.. NOOOO! " :/ UGGGH
    Wrote the B Question in literally the last ten minutes. Utterly failed myself today.
    BAH!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I have to say I don't think that was the best paper 1s. The question B's were awful with the persuasive article and then the proposal form which I'd never looked at in english. I did the letter I wouldn't normally do a descriptive piece but I tried my best.
    The QA's I did the text 3 which you had to refer to images I hadn't done that in class since the jc so I just tried . The text 2 I didn't want to answer I wasn't sure I could remember all the elements of speech writing. I managed to fit my story on to the last title about the character eager to leave town which was great. My story was based on a fear of diving into deep water already I just wrote it as normal then at the end the guys just says something like I'm eighteen I still have lots of my life to live I'm moving to Australia to a lifesaving course there. (It was something along the lines of that anyway). I didn't use the phrase given.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

Lovely paper, sure of my full marks for question A and almost full marks for B. My essay was really good too and fit the topic of 7 really well, about wanting to go away from home. I'm really well prepared for paper 2 so hopefully I'll get an A in English!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

jenifa wrote: »
    Hated that paper. Usually I write anything factual to do with politics or current events, especially journalist piece, but nothing inspired. :(
    Ended up choosing the short story "rock band howling for fame" writing a poem in the middle of it! More of a personal essay than story.. NOOOO! " :/ UGGGH
    Wrote the B Question in literally the last ten minutes. Utterly failed myself today.
    BAH!!!!
    Sometimes when you think you did really bad on an exam, it's actually quite the opposite. My friend last year thought she failed, hated paper 1, but got an A2 in English in the end. Don't worry about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Ran out of time in my composition, as always. I spent too long contemplating which composition wuestion to answer. Wrote about 4 and a half pages and jotted bullet points.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

could not be angrier at myself, had 2 paragraphs and the closing still to do on my speech, it's my own fault, i spent too much time on the comprehensions, was hoping for a B1 in english now i'd say i'll be lucky to get a B3 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Only got 3 pages of composition done :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

How long does the story have to be? People are disappointed with 4 and a half? Is 3.5 ok or too short? Honesty please =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Text 2, Section A. Wrote about two and half pages total. Did the letter in Text 1 for my Section B. Think it was okay, even if I only got a page for it. :o

If I do say so myself, I think I wrote a really good short story on question 7, about the young character who wants to leave home. Got just over four pages. I wrote a short story over the Easter holiday about a young Afghan boy who lived with his father. The father is a nutjob and a high-ranking official in a totalitarian government. The kid gets knocked unconscious during a Bin Laden-inspired raid. Basically re-wrote it and just made sure to stick in thoughts of escaping his father's home every now and then. :P 76% percent for that story when my teacher corrected it. If I got that again, I'd be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A lot of people don't finish the composition. It's not the end of the world. As long as you got most of the composition finished, you shouldn't do too bad. As for answer length, if memory serves me correctly I wrote 12 pages each for Paper I and Paper II and got an A1 so as always it's quality not quantity.

I know it's tempting but try to limit your "post-mortem" on Paper 1, you need the time to work on Paper 2.

Advertisement