Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

K_1 wrote: »
    Mary Robinson A: Very straight forward, easy questions.

School Article B: Best B q I've ever done!

Composition 4 (Importance of literature): Good enough, had done a similar one before so had some ideas from that.

All in all pretty good!

Same!! I loved that B part!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liamduffy1994

Ok so I did the 3rd one on composing and I wrote about a lad cheating on the leaving cert but I only made reference to the title in bits and pieces, does that matter? It did say draw inspiration from the title and I even had a character say it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

Ok so I did the 3rd one on composing and I wrote about a lad cheating on the leaving cert but I only made reference to the title in bits and pieces, does that matter? It did say draw inspiration from the title and I even had a character say it?

elaborate on what you did to make it relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liamduffy1994

Ok the start of the essay was a band coming from a radio to wake character one, this tied in with the title, then I had my intro of that character. Next paragraph was charcter 2 being woke up by the same song and sleeping in, he just made it to the exam hall on time and in the car had a conversation about music with his father. 2 characters sit beside each other in the exam and one is caught cheating. The topic of music was part of their exam also which may tie in but would I be losing many marks for not sticking to the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

Ok the start of the essay was a band coming from a radio to wake character one, this tied in with the title, then I had my intro of that character. Next paragraph was charcter 2 being woke up by the same song and sleeping in, he just made it to the exam hall on time and in the car had a conversation about music with his father. 2 characters sit beside each other in the exam and one is caught cheating. The topic of music was part of their exam also which may tie in but would I be losing many marks for not sticking to the point?
    It really depends on the examiner, they want you to be creative and everyone interprets the question differently. If their stingy they might deduct marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Hmm, wondering what I stand to lose on my essay;
    Did the EAGER leaving home gag.

But, did this great story about a friendship developing in a scumtown, and they both have equally problems at home...
    got the whole relationship build up, running out of time her, basically rounded it off saying they left together and never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

you put in 2. it was a formal/ semi-formal letter. the canadian bird isnt your mate, you dont know her. it's formal

Ah lovely, cheers!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Happy overall :)
    I know I didnt do my BEST on the essay, but I think I should get around the 70 mark.
    Did the letter and made sure I kept the structure and audience in mind, so should be okay.
    And Q.A - did the train one. Sound.

So yes, 2 down, few more to go. Feeling good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fudgedapopo

Wrote about a page and a half for question b but I've done this in the past and gotten close to full marks? Also wrote a story for no.7 about a guy who goes for a walk night before the leaving along a pathway he always walks down in his hometown along the road sees stuff that remind him of his childhood gets to the end of the road and realises its the end of te road for his time in the town and he'll leave but forgot to title it will they know which one or will I lose any marks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I always write about a page and a half to two pages in the Part Bs. Don't see why you'd write anymore. For Part A I had about 3 - 4 pages.

• Advertisement

Put in two addresses. Learned my lesson in the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fudgedapopo

Yeah a lot of people saying they've written over 2 pages for a part b, mine would be just full of crap if it was to go that long

Yeah a lot of people saying they've written over 2 pages for a part b, mine would be just full of crap if it was to go that long

It's just a letter! I mean in real life you hardly receive letters that are 2 pages long unless they're informal. My teacher instructed me to write 1 and a half max.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Did anyone else play with the idea of home in composition 7? I created a scenario of a prisoner where his home is the prison and he wants to be set free or, paradoxically, go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

My part B was only about 2 and a half pages, my one in the mock was 2 and I did quite well in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

leaveiton wrote: »
    My part B was only about 2 and a half pages, my one in the mock was 2 and I did quite well in it.

Same, mine was probably just about 2 and a half, addresses inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

frantic190 wrote: »
    Same, mine was probably just about 2 and a half, addresses inclusive.

Was your letter formal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Hayezer wrote: »
    The short story about "an inferior rock band howling for fame"...my friend sorta went "an inferior rock band howling for fame was on the radio" and the wrote about something COMPLETELY different :pac::pac::o like 10 marks?

You have to include the sentence, not take it as your subject matter. If anything they might appreciate that your friend got the sentence done and dusted so quickly! Mine was (NOT this year's LC) something about a ballot box so I had my main character accompany her mother to voting. Then I had her commit suicide by walking into the sea because she was pregnant in rural 50's Ireland. It got 93/100 without any further ballot box mentions. So it's fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Wanchor wrote: »
    Was your letter formal?

Yep!
    You have to include the sentence, not take it as your subject matter. If anything they might appreciate that your friend got the sentence done and dusted so quickly! Mine was (NOT this year's LC) something about a ballot box so I had my main character accompany her mother to voting. Then I had her commit suicide by walking into the sea because she was pregnant in rural 50's Ireland. It got 93/100 without any further ballot box mentions. So it's fine!

You don't have to include the sentence unless it states in the question that you have to include it I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

My composition was the one with "getting away from town"

Was I the only one who wrote about going to college and having memories of home, family etc. and then talked about how I was looking forward to college.

Would that apply to the question? Starting to panic a little :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Fergus_ wrote: »
    My composition was the one with "getting away from town"

Was I the only one who wrote about going to college and having memories of home, family etc. and then talked about how I was looking forward to college.

Would that apply to the question? Starting to panic a little :/

I did the same one and along the same lines! I talked about the excitement of getting away, freedom, independence etc then had it all turn bad in the end with the reality of it all, job, bills, missing family etc. Also mentioned the famous cliche ''welcome to the real world'' once and then ended on that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Messed up so, so badly. Didn't like any of the questions to be honest.

I did the last essay about being eager to leave home but mine wasn't really in short story format at all. It was much more like a personal essay so I'm going to lose thirty marks immediately....

If paper two goes badly tomorrow then I will be looking at a C in English and I really wanted a b1 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

frantic190 wrote: »
    You don't have to include the sentence unless it states in the question that you have to include it I thought?

True. I couldn't swear to it but thought the phrasing generally was 'Start a short story beginning with the sentence blah blah'. But yes if it doesn't specify to include it then no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I did the same one and along the same lines! I talked about the excitement of getting away, freedom, independence etc then had it all turn bad in the end with the reality of it all, job, bills, missing family etc. Also mentioned the famous cliche ''welcome to the real world'' once and then ended on that too!

I talked about how time passes and that we are unable to stop it and we can do nothing but to embrace it (that's the can't wait to get away from town bit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

GarIT wrote: »
    It says it on correction guidelines given to the examiners to give them an idea of how to mark the exam. I don't know for definate about this year but up until this year it has said "Expect 3 and a half pages".

If that's what the examiners are told how is it?
    They're guidelines, not absolutes ... English isn't like Physics or Chemistry, where they can be prescriptive.

Besides, if I gave exactly the same piece of text to two different students, one of whom had big sprawly writing, the other crabbéd tiny writing, one might fill 5 pages copying it out, the other 3.

Examiners aren't drones, they're quite capable of using their cop-on, and a really well-written short story that deserves high marks isn't going to lose out just because it's a half page shorter than the rough guideline which the examiners are given.

It's *always* quality rather than quantity. That said, obviously enough, someone who writes a one page essay / short story is unlikely to have given themselves the scope to demonstrate that quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 StephanieC93

Thank god I'm not the only one! :P I did 6 too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

went ooookkaaay but sure :o
    Did Text 1A, text 3B and The persuasive speech, was almost finished the B question when I realised I wrote a load of crap so i started again and then got three pages and a bit for the composition. Thats my usual standard anyway and I'm usually around a B2/1 so I'm hoping the examiner is nice :o

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

is paper 1 and 2 marked by the same correcters??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

123 LC wrote: »
    is paper 1 and 2 marked by the same correcters??

yes

• Advertisement
Advertisement