Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

thanks! hoping the correcter will take pity on me and pass me if i do a good paper 2 :L i thought my comprehending and question B went well, but wrote less then 2 pages for the composition, so worried about failing! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Loved the paper !! ANy hints for 2mro?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Think hamlets coming up man

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Wkds wrote: »
    Think hamlets coming up man
    Sarcastic twat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Character of Hamlet is predicted or the women...as well as appearances vs reality...
    For poetry Kinsella, Larkin, Plath or Heaney - at least that's what I've heard around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 oldcrescent

could anyone tell me the last two time Heaney came up and what the question was. Examinations.ie isnt working for me

anyone...no....dust

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

could anyone tell me the last two time Heaney came up and what the question was. Examinations.ie isnt working for me

I might have missed something (let me know if I did) but I don't think he came up since 2003:
    Dear Seamus Heaney...
    Write a letter to Seamus Heaney telling him how you responded to some of his poems on your course. Support the points you make by detailed reference to the poems you choose to write about.

So there is a big chance he is coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

smithy77 wrote: »
    Whoever wrote the letter did you put in 1 address or 2 addresses? If you put in 2 and wasn't supposed to do you lose many marks? :confused:

I put in two and used did the letter as an informal.

Schonie wrote: »
    I might have missed something (let me know if I did) but I don't think he came up since 2003:
    Dear Seamus Heaney...
    Write a letter to Seamus Heaney telling him how you responded to some of his poems on your course. Support the points you make by detailed reference to the poems you choose to write about.

So there is a big chance he is coming up

thank you very much,i am kind of banking on him...fingers crossed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I did the Mary Robinson comprehension, the persuasive article and also Q6. Seems like I'm the only one with that combination. I think it went well:D Hoping for a DACE B so there's hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

I did the Mary Robinson comprehension, the persuasive article and also Q6. Seems like I'm the only one with that combination. I think it went well:D Hoping for a DACE B so there's hoping :)

the **** is DACE

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Did same combination(apart from composition), on the last part of the Mary Robinson didn't realise 'impact on audience' was there until the end, got some frantic things in but hoping that simply referring to the general impact of the speech throughout will get me over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ninoisgreat

i literally wrote the least out of everyone is seems. i wrote 2 pages and a bit for section A, a Page and a bit for the persuasive piece, and i only had time to write a two page short story. im quite proud of what i wrote though. i wrote in retrospect about a middle-aged woman thinking about her mother...it kinda jumped tenses from paragraph to paragraph, for example; there was a descriptive paragraph about the mother's features in the past tense and then it jumped to the child version of the main character sitting in her lap.....it was more so her regretting her eagerness to move away from home. i dont know....i only had 40 minutes so i decided to make what i wrote count as much as possible....i really hoped for an A but ahhhh weellllll......

well done to everyone writing rediculously long answers, dont know how u managed..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mcmxci

I answered the comprehension questions on Margaret Laurence's home town (Text 1) and the 50 marker in favour of school tours (Text 3). I didn't touch the one on Mary Robinson. All in all, I think I did OK.

I could probably have written plenty about the marvels of the modern world but I decided to go with the talk to an international gathering of students. I could probably have done better but you'll never write what you were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

Did text 1 QA, stayed well away from the other two because of the picture questions, wrote 5 and a half pages for it but was a bit concerned after because i went on about her use of anecdotes for part (iii) and i realised they actually werent even anectodes at all :/

Did the persuasive article, was a nice lickarsey 3 page piece about how i had never realised the true beauty of hamlet until our fifth year excursion to see it in the town hall, doing archery and stuff in primary school and science fairs and stuff ;) managed to remember a title but missed the bit about the school website until the very end and then went back in a panic adding on all my "log on next week!" etc :P

Essay titles were okay (is it just me are or the short story titles getting more and more specific?!?) did number seven and wrote my preprepared short story about a guy in argentina getting arrested on his gap year and the description of the prison etc (inspired by an ep of banged up abroad :P) and just extended the bit at the start about him wanting to leave home and stuff!! ended up with seven pages

Overall a manageable paper, wrote about fifteen and a half pages in total, wrist screwed, bring on paper 2! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

frantic190 wrote: »
    Does a proposal have a structure?

I have no idea! Trying to find out myself. Mine was basically a semi-formal letter. According to a friend though, there is no set structure so I'm hoping it'll turn out okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fudgedapopo

At this stage it's time to shut up and put up, paper two next, say your prayers for hamlets character role of women or deception and not to forget vision and viewpoint, please god

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cussypat1974

why in the name of ****e are you all on here posting when you have a life changing exam tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

why in the name of ****e are you all on here posting when you have a life changing exam tomorrow?

Could ask you the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Raeone wrote: »
    Could ask you the same thing.

Just looking at their username I think they may be a bit old to be sitting the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Defygravity

People seem to have thought the paper went well.. I'm a bit surprised at that because I found the short story titles to be horrific! People were destined to go down the cliched root with them.. I was really relying on a good short story title, but I found it really difficult to think of something outside the box for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Ugh yeah, there was no room for something dramatic or even characters to interact imo, because I had to focus so much on why the character wanted to move etc :| The other one wasnt even worth attempting. But I'm happy with it overall. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

as someone who's finished the lc 15 years ago could i just advise you all to move on from each exam. post-mortems are pointless and will drive you nuts if you've made mistakes unsettling you before the next one!
    so park it and concentrate on your next exam

and dont go down the line of 'tips' total myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LordAlf

gah, if i had known of this thread i would have posted some advice before hand, sorry.
    i give grinds in english (probably something thats difficult to tell due to my poor use of diction and grammar while posting on the internet :pac: ) but basically, the amount you write doesnt matter at all. i got 200/200 on paper 1 with only writing 6 1/4 pages. its the point you make and how you go about making it which matters. being clear about what you're saying and trusting yourself to be able to create a piece about it are just not taught in schools anymore. paper 1 is basically ignored for 5th & 6th year and its crucial for being able to compose a good paper 2.

i read earlier on this thread about how a teacher basically said to write 12 - 16 pages for paper 2. what kind of advice is that? "splurge out a minimum amount that i reccomend and if you cant panic because you have failed to do what i said" ugh, annoying.. and dont get me started on teachers that give a "minimum amount of quotes" guideline. anyhow, really wish i had known about this forum/thread sooner as i genuinely believed i could have helped (yes i realise that my spelling and grammar here is poor :P ), ill try to remember for next year as i really believe that this subject could be taught so much better then it is

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

I think the question on writing a letter was informal. I don't think there would have been marks awarded or deducted for omitting the addresses? The very title doesn't suggest formality, it is a very personal type of title? The impact your hometown has made on you? I think the formalities of the addresses do not matter too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

I think the question on writing a letter was informal. I don't think there would have been marks awarded or deducted for omitting the addresses? The very title doesn't suggest formality, it is a very personal type of title? The impact your hometown has made on you? I think the formalities of the addresses do not matter too much?
    I put two addresses down. It was a semi-formal letter I think. We don't actually know the woman. We just read a text and knew her name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I wrote it informally too except I accidently put down two addresses.
    It seemed more like you were writing as if you were a fan of where you were from and you had to tell her about your hometown which woud make it personal.
    I didn't think it sounded in any way formal. I don't know why you'd be writing to someone about your hometown to anybody in formally manner either :S.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

I wrote it informally too except I accidently put down two addresses.
    It seemed more like you were writing as if you were a fan of where you were from and you had to tell her about your hometown which woud make it personal.
    I didn't think it sounded in any way formal. I don't know why you'd be writing to someone about your hometown to anybody in formally manner either :S.

Exactly. You're hardly going to be like to a complete stranger. I'm going to tell you about my hometown and it's impact on my life. The register wanted depth (I think) and personal reflections. When I think formal I think of business letters etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement