Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Exactly. You're hardly going to be like to a complete stranger. I'm going to tell you about my hometown and it's impact on my life. The register wanted depth (I think) and personal reflections. When I think formal I think of business letters etc

I know or something like a job. They could've been clear what letter we were supposed to write. Maybe they were just testing us. The majority of the people I know wrote formal. I don't know if my letter was good anyway descriptive writing isn't really my thing, thats the only one I knew how to do.
    I mean saying something like "Dear Miss..." then speaking about the area she lived in and where you lived , like formal letter are usually enquiries/interviews/information or something of a purpose. The letter was just stating your own opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BridgetRB

Messed up so, so badly. Didn't like any of the questions to be honest.

I did the last essay about being eager to leave home but mine wasn't really in short story format at all. It was much more like a personal essay so I'm going to lose thirty marks immediately....

If paper two goes badly tomorrow then I will be looking at a C in English and I really wanted a b1 :(

We were never really told the difference between a short story and personal essay, but I think I wrote mine more like a personal essay. Started off in present tense, talking to someone saying I have to go, then the main story is the memory that makes me want to leave, then at the end its all like so I hope you understand bla bla bla...Oh well, no point worrying now I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

BridgetRB wrote: »
    We were never really told the difference between a short story and personal essay, but I think I wrote mine more like a personal essay. Started off in present tense, talking to someone saying I have to go, then the main story is the memory that makes me want to leave, then at the end its all like so I hope you understand bla bla bla...Oh well, no point worrying now I guess...

A story must have actions. An essay is a discussion of a topic. A personal short story would be I did whatever and a personal essay would would be your personal opnion on a topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cussypat1974

bridget you lose 50 if you write your essay in the wrong genre. not 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grizzly_bear

I thought English Paper 1 this year was soo nice.One of the best I'd say.The essay titles were really handy too 'importance of literature' and 'national identity' were great ones!

Why did you feel the need to bring this up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement