Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Only got 3 pages of composition done :(

that makes 2 of us brah

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

Kelix wrote: »
    Sometimes when you think you did really bad on an exam, it's actually quite the opposite. My friend last year thought she failed, hated paper 1, but got an A2 in English in the end. Don't worry about it :)

Aww your kind, thanks! :) Reality is reality though.. speaking of which I'm gonna get cracking on with Hamlets..
    Make our own luck for paper two at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I thought that was grand. :) did the "you have all the time in the world essay". Really enjoyed it. My pursuasive article wasn't very persuasive until around half way through and my spelling was crap. Otherwise I am very pleased though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Struggled halfway through my story but extended it to 5 pages. Absolutely delighted with today! I chose #7, like everyone else, and did 1B and 3A, 12 pages altogether :)

Couldnt fit a story in that I'd prepared but it didnt matter. Ugh, so so happy <3

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I only got 2 pages done for the composition, dont know what happened :((( FML

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

That was a disaster of a paper 1. The short story choices were ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Kelix wrote: »
    Sometimes when you think you did really bad on an exam, it's actually quite the opposite. My friend last year thought she failed, hated paper 1, but got an A2 in English in the end. Don't worry about it :)

On the other hand. When I did the LC English paper 1 I thought I did terribly poor and ended up with a D. You never know. Some people can be lucky I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Lovely paper I thought :) Did Text 1 part A and Text 3 part B. Wasn't mad about any of the Bs when I first looked at them but the one I did was grand in the end. Then for the composition I did the personal essay on the marvels of today's world, got about 5 pages out of that so I was quite happy. Had time to spare at the end to check over everything too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

At least yas didn't lose about 20 minutes due to a bleeding nose :rolleyes:

I managed to get 3 and half pages done in Composition though... It's not all about quantity but it is about quality.. So if you only got 2/3 if you used big words I am sure you will do grand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭cathal_flynn

Anyone else write 10 pages of pure bullsh1t?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

went better than the mocks paper 1. :) delighted with it!! :D
    Did 1A and 3B and then the first essay. :) the essay was 5 pages and was crappy. :pac: but idc :D one paper done. :pac: !! :D

now for the tortuous thing that is paper 2 which i am doomed for. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Wrote 7 pages on the Mary Robinson comprehension

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Hellogood2012

Does anyone who has previously got an A1 know how much pages they wrote for the 3 sections??? I know its quality not quantity but need to put my mind at ease....

RedTexan wrote: »
    Wrote 7 pages on the Mary Robinson comprehension
    Why? I wrote a page for each question and it should be enough. Only need a paragraph for each point. 5 marks = 1 paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Nitsuj wrote: »
    Why? I wrote a page for each question and it should be enough. Only need a paragraph for each point. 5 marks = 1 paragraph.
    Yeah, got a bit carried away. Got it all done though. Could've been better, could've been a whole lot worse. Was a tricky paper.

Yeah, it was. i feel sorry for whoever corrects mine. my writing is atrocious when im in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Not overly happy with that paper tbh. The comprehensions were fine, but the speech title was awful imo. I wrote about 2 good pages and then struggled through another page and a half of waffle. :/ I wish I did Q1 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Does anyone who has previously got an A1 know how much pages they wrote for the 3 sections??? I know its quality not quantity but need to put my mind at ease....
    IIRC...

2/3 pages for section IA (As in two pages and a bit of a third page)
    3 pages for section IB
    4/5 pages for section II

All in all, I distinctly remember telling people "I wrote 11 pages" but looking back and taking away all the quarter and half pages it'd be more accurate to say I wrote 9 or 10 pages overall. Others wrote stupid amounts like 22 pages and ended up with Bs and Cs. Others wrote similar amounts to me and ended up with Bs and Cs. Essentially, what i'm trying to say is that unless you wrote ridiculously short answers the length of your answer doesn't have a huge effect on your grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

To get full marks this is usually the layout

Question A
    15 marks - Intro paragraph, 3 paragraphs, summary paragraph
    20 marks - Into paragraph, 4 paragraphs, summary paragraph

Question B
    Depends on choice however it must fit the format, for example letter format, and be around 2 and half pages for most choices. Descriptive writing and staying on the task is the most important thing however, it's one of the few questions that's genuinely quality over quantity. Don't ramble on.

Composition
    Fits the form of the choice of question. At least 4 pages. Stays on the task and topic asked eg. don't try to fit an unrelated story into the title if it doesn't link well enough. Don't ramble on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

If the essay on "when I was eighteen" about a character who wanted to leave town. Mine was a fear of diving into deep water I didn't bring in him wanting to leave town until the end after he'd already conquered the fear I said something like "I'm eighteen I still have lots of my life to see. I'm moving to Australia to continue my dream of becoming a lifeguard" and my story was set by the and beach not a town. Would I lose marks or is it okay as I still referred to the title somehow just not using the line?
    I wrote about 4 and a bit for the composition I didn't count the others but maybe a page for each question and 2 pages and a bit for the question B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Hellogood2012

Thanks very much guys, just hope I related enough to the topic :).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

It's doooooooooooone...wooop..
    I think it was actually a good paper...I'm worried I didn't write enough though...kinda ran out of time in the end and so had to end it and not the way I wanted to either...
    Did 1B - loved that one...
    3A - That was grand as well...got kinda stuck on the pictures at first but came up with something...
    Did 7 for the essay...did only 3pages...like I said, ran out of time..
    I'm usually good in English but I always take my time...so..hopefully it was good enough to get me a good mark without looking at the length.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Are O level expected to write the same amount as H level? I was at around 5 or 6 pages and im doing O level.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

I was very happy with Paper One - wasn't bad at all :D . I was really happy with my essay. Bring on Paper Two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

I thought it went ok, it was a good paper though, I liked the theme of Memory.

But, as usual, best laid plans... :pac:

I spent too much time on my part B, the had to rush the rest. I was proud of the letter, yeah, but spent too long! Only got 3 pages of my speech :cool:
    And it was shaping up to be a cracking speech... :rolleyes:

Good luck in paper 2 everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

If the essay on "when I was eighteen" about a character who wanted to leave town. Mine was a fear of diving into deep water I didn't bring in him wanting to leave town until the end after he'd already conquered the fear I said something like "I'm eighteen I still have lots of my life to see. I'm moving to Australia to continue my dream of becoming a lifeguard" and my story was set by the and beach not a town. Would I lose marks or is it okay as I still referred to the title somehow just not using the line?
    I wrote about 4 and a bit for the composition I didn't count the others but maybe a page for each question and 2 pages and a bit for the question B.
    The eighteen part was just a quote, an example. The actual task was: Write a short story in which a young character is eager to leave home. So basically anything to do with the age is pretty irrelevant, as long as you stuck to the topic and it was a young person, not specifically eighteen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

I feel like I'm the only one who answered essay title #6 about irelands identity? lol
    Found q'A's decent but writing that persuasive article wasn't too nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

It was really, really, really, really... Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Similar to partyatmygaff, I had 2.5 for A, 3 for B and 5 for the essay. Don't worry about the amount you wrote, like you said, all about the quality ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I done this essay, I made it that I myself went off to Perth and used a story which I had already learned and added it into it.. Wonder would you be marked down as I said damn all about leaving apart from that I was actually leaving...

LOL Just read your bit there and see you done basically the same about moving to Australia...

Also in the letter do you just use the address and date? How many pages did everyone put for the letter?

Advertisement