Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

For the people who did the letter question B from Text 1, how long was yours? Mine was 2 and a half pages. Tried to keep it short because it was a letter and they're not typically long...just wondering how everyone else handled it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Similar to partyatmygaff, I had 2.5 for A, 3 for B and 5 for the essay. Don't worry about the amount you wrote, like you said, all about the quality ;)

OMG that's the exact same as I wrote, I'm so getting an A1 loooool!! :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

did many people do Q4 about the speech on importance of literature. called myself a harry potter nerd in it, was so tempted to call the audience muggles but i wasn't sure if the examiner would see the funny side of it so decided not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Only got 3 pages of composition done :(

I only got one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Wahey! Did Q. 3A, 1B, and the 7 essay. Wrote a narrative letter for 1B about Nepal, my being from there etc (trolol) gotta love getting into character :) My essay was 6 pages of pure crazyness.

The story:
    Teenage boy, 14 years old, loves with his dad in some s**thole. The dad beats him and sexually abuses him regularly. The mum left the father when the boy was a baby. The boy smokes a lot of weed to forget about his problems. He goes to Portland to go to university when he's 18, and gets a job in a bookstore, where he can smoke weed all the time and where his french housemate works too. He's still getting over being abused. At some point, the manager of the bookstore comes in while he's rolling a joint and gives him the revelation - she's his mother! omg! Some time passes and the mother and the boy go back to the s**thole town to find the father and bring him to justice. The mother knocks on the door and the dad's having a party. The son is in the shadows with a knife in case s**t gets real. The dad smashes a bottle of rum over the mums head then the sun jumps out and stabs him five times in the chest. Then the cops arrive (they were killed because of some silly s**t that happened at the party). The son passes out and wakes up in a jail cell, where the story starts being told as a retelling, by the son, who hopes the paper is not seen so he'll get a really lenient sentence. :) He writes out the story just to pass the time while he waits to get out of jail :L Pretty fun story IMO, and 6 pages too so I'm happy enough with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Was grand :P Got a nice 5 pages on essay and 15 in total :) The only part slightly unsure is how my article went down..Ah well its finished anyway :D Well done to ye all lads!

I done this essay, I made it that I myself went off to Perth and used a story which I had already learned and added it into it.. Wonder would you be marked down as I said damn all about leaving apart from that I was actually leaving...

LOL Just read your bit there and see you done basically the same about moving to Australia...

Also in the letter do you just use the address and date? How many pages did everyone put for the letter?
    The address and date is a part of the letter format, but I don't think you'll lose that many marks for forgetting to include them, probably only 2 or 3, 5 at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Kelix wrote: »
    For the people who did the letter question B from Text 1, how long was yours? Mine was 2 and a half pages. Tried to keep it short because it was a letter and they're not typically long...just wondering how everyone else handled it?

I only did 1 and a half.. Was told 1 and a half / 2 pages be grand for part B.. There wasn't much more I could write about it anyways...

2 pages and a little bit, that's usually enough to net you full marks if the quality is good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

I didn't mind paper 1 TOO much but I didn't like the composition choices, I only got to write 2.5 pages for the personal essay, and my B question was the letter and I forgot to sign off on it :-/ my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

The paper was nice.
    I wrote too much for the 15 mark questions though.

My essay went really bad too, I don't think I've ever written such a bad essay. I got 5 pages written but I'm pretty sure most of the language and the plot weren't coherent. I also ended up having to give the essay a rubbish ending due to lack of time. It's a shame because my essay in the mocks was so good.

2 pages and a little bit, that's usually enough to net you full marks if the quality is good :D
    Definitely is, especially for a letter. It was a handy question, you could get by on descriptive writing and relating to her text.

The address and date is a part of the letter format, but I don't think you'll lose that many marks for forgetting to include them, probably only 2 or 3, 5 at most.

Ahh I put them in anyways... Made random address though just said Vancouver, Canada...

Ahh I put them in anyways... Made random address though just said Vancouver, Canada...
    I used

Margret Whatshername
    PO Box 4344FR
    Toronto
    Canada

Should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Does anyone who has previously got an A1 know how much pages they wrote for the 3 sections??? I know its quality not quantity but need to put my mind at ease....
    Tough question to answer since nobody will write the exact same answer (good, concise answers can be just as good as long-winded answers) and it depends on writing size. 3-4 for Section A, 2-3 for section B (I distinctly remember I wrote 2) and 3-5 for the essay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I done this essay, I made it that I myself went off to Perth and used a story which I had already learned and added it into it.. Wonder would you be marked down as I said damn all about leaving apart from that I was actually leaving...

LOL Just read your bit there and see you done basically the same about moving to Australia...

Also in the letter do you just use the address and date? How many pages did everyone put for the letter?

Lol yeah I only added it in right at the end so it was a normal story about a boy's fear of diving up until the climax where he saves a womans life and then the next day dives in his lifesaving class . I just mentioned about his life ahead moving to Australia. That's so funny we both used Australia :).

I only had 2 pages and a bit. I did your address I made something random adding Dublin at the end. I forgot to write a date. I skipped a line wrote their address I made it like something ,Vancouver, Canada . I answered it informally then and used yours faithfully to end it. I hadn't a clue what to write for most of it I just compared the weather and the countryside to the city. I haven't a clue how it went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Really happy!

Wrote 14/15 pages overall! My short story was extremely weird however! (Me, being 15 and for lack of a better word, being almost r*ped on a train from Boyle to Sligo. I'm a dude as well!)

Was a bit put off with the Qb's but picked 1B like everyone! I did 3A a beauty of a text and the short story title I. pickd was the rock band one.

Paper two is going to be rank.

I ended my letter with her quote of ''This is where my world began'' .. Anyone else end with a quote?..

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I got actually quite lucky with the essay 7...
    My original essay was about a little girl that was lonely cause her dad was a rich snob and worked all the time and so she destroyed his garden and stuff...
    I changed her to a teenager and used parts of that original essay to write this essay...even though it was different...it was about the teenager wanting to go to a college somewhere in the middle of nowhere but her dad wants her to go to some snobby rich one and when she gets the letter to her one, he throws it out...and then she gets ready to leave and so she destroys the garden cause she despises it because he cares about it more than her and then goes to put a letter into his office and sees a photo of them on his desk when she was little before her mother died and they were happy...so she decides to stay:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Happy enough, pretty friendly paper.
    Did 4500 words in total (I type)
    Mary Robinson Comprehension - 2x500 and a 600 word answer
    Student council B - 1100 Words
    Speech on Literature - 1700 Words

Loved the speech on literature. Was dying for something like that to come up so absolutely loved it. 3B was pleasantly surprising as well. Answer was on the long side but I wasn't rambling, at least I don't think.

So, happy. Bring on Paper 2!

• Advertisement

Lol yeah I only added it in right at the end so it was a normal story about a boy's fear of diving up until the climax where he saves a womans life and then the next day dives in his lifesaving class . I just mentioned about his life ahead moving to Australia. That's so funny we both used Australia :).

I only had 2 pages and a bit. I did your address I made something random adding Dublin at the end. I forgot to write a date. I skipped a line wrote their address I made it like something ,Vancouver, Canada . I answered it informally then and used yours faithfully to end it. I hadn't a clue what to write for most of it I just compared the weather and the countryside to the city. I haven't a clue how it went.

Where you copying my exam, I am onto you :p

I don't know why I chose Australia though, heat of the moment I suppose :) .. I am dreading tomorrow though Engineering and Paper 2 this is going to be a disaster...

Schonie wrote: »
    I got actually quite lucky with the essay 7...
    My original essay was about a little girl that was lonely cause her dad was a rich snob and worked all the time and so she destroyed his garden and stuff...
    I changed her to a teenager and used parts of that original essay to write this essay...even though it was different...it was about the teenager wanting to go to a college somewhere in the middle of nowhere but her dad wants her to go to some snobby rich one and when she gets the letter to her one, he throws it out...and then she gets ready to leave and so she destroys the garden cause she despises it because he cares about it more than her and then goes to put a letter into his office and sees a photo of them on his desk when she was little before her mother died and they were happy...so she decides to stay:D

What about the garden? :eek: Cliffhanger or what!

I ended my letter with her quote of ''This is where my world began'' .. Anyone else end with a quote?..
    I think I ended with a reference to the that quote, but it was the penultimate sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I'm Absolutely Dejected.

Gave what I believe is an A1 answer on Section A from Text 3,for Composition, i chose Q7 and wrote a fantastic account of a young mans life during the easter rising 1916 and his subsequent enrollment in the British army where he dies on his back reflecting on his troubled life.
    The reason I am dejected is due to running out of time whilst answering Section B from Text 1.... I got a page wrote with a conclusion, with the 2nd half of the page an absolute mess due to me rushing..... i am revolted..... I will be dejected if the reason i didnt get 460 points is because of that mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Not overly happy with that paper tbh. The comprehensions were fine, but the speech title was awful imo. I wrote about 2 good pages and then struggled through another page and a half of waffle. :/ I wish I did Q1 instead.

Hey, I just thought I'd thank you for your usernme/help. I was listening to Coeur last night and she was in an interview and i think she said she was from Quebec in Ontario so i was delighted. Thanks =) you're a saviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

wow, i didn't think time was tight at all! wrote 5.5 pages on composition in 1 hour, done 3 pages on a and 2 pages on a letter..and had 15 minutes to spare :/ not sure if I did great though! Hopefully it was fine :) now bring on paper 2!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Did anyone else do the proposal for part b?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Hellogood2012

Did anyone else do the proposal for part b?

Yep, although I just wrote essentially a letter without any address :/ ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Dapics wrote: »
    I'm Absolutely Dejected.

Gave what I believe is an A1 answer on Section A from Text 3,for Composition, i chose Q7 and wrote a fantastic account of a young mans life during the easter rising 1916 and his subsequent enrollment in the British army where he dies on his back reflecting on his troubled life.
    The reason I am dejected is due to running out of time whilst answering Section B from Text 1.... I got a page wrote with a conclusion, with the 2nd half of the page an absolute mess due to me rushing..... i am revolted..... I will be dejected if the reason i didnt get 460 points is because of that mistake

Don't worry about the messy writing, I doubt anyone's writing is perfect today, if the examiner can read it then they will grade it. If you are happy with your essay and your question A, your question B won't ruin the whole paper. You will probably get more marks than you think even just for a page! Most people write between 1.5-2 for the Question B, so you weren't that far behind :)

Nobody can spout out their best answers on the first day of the Leaving Cert and the correctors know this. You still have half the exam still to sit, so go study for that! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

For the letter was it informal or formal? I wrote informal?
    and did you need two addresses ?

Advertisement