Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

I did the letter on Text 1 (two and a half pages :eek:) and comprehension on Text 3 (three/four pages in all). Basically wrote how her story mirrored myself and my own town and how the text made me see my own town in a brand new light. Comprehension was OK.

Really didn't like the personal essay though! Would've down the short story but I was running out of time. Only got two pages done. It was a nice enough paper, I just know I could've done better. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭claireblossom

Very happy :)
    Did anyone to the speech on the importance of literature? I did and overall I was happy with it, but I only wrote about 3 1/2 pages :/
    I did think what I did write was very good so I'm hoping my corrector will recognize "quality over quantity!"

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

That was grand! Was abit clouded at the start though but the the 3 Q's on section A on the last text (think they went quite well!)
    My composition was only 3 pages, I did Q5 about procrastinating in the leaving cert. It was fab because I got to add in some humour so I described the typical traits of a procrastinator and gave some honest advice on the LC to the 'young adults' and it all tied in so nicely :)
    Ugh B on text 1 however.... Letter format, grand. But I had to start it again half way thru since it wasn't going the way I wanted to, then started it again and I ran off the point and only realised at the end so I tried to tie it up a little :( Hopefully get half marks... but yeah really was not happy with that.
    Would of liked my essay to be longer than 3 pages but ran out of time so I guess it's grand.
    But I wrote so much, like a page for each A part and 2 pages for the B and 3 for the essay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Where you copying my exam, I am onto you :p

I don't know why I chose Australia though, heat of the moment I suppose :) .. I am dreading tomorrow though Engineering and Paper 2 this is going to be a disaster...

Haha did you have a climax in yours involving saving a lives?
    I did engineering last year I dropped the subject this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I'm not really sure if I should be happy or not. I spent FOREVER on the Mary Robinson text. I got really carried away and wrote like 2 ana a half pages for part a, 2 pages for part b and 1 and half for part c. I'm not even sure if my answers for right? For the speech writing elements I said (1) language genre of argument, (2) language genre of persuasion and (3) use of literary allusions. Would those three be accepted?

For functional writing I did the letter but I hear people here saying it was a descriptive letter??? :confused::eek: I thought we just had to say to her what we found interesting in the extract and then write a bit on your home places impact on you. I pretended I was from the west of Ireland (idk why?) and said stuff like that it's stifling and like her I wanted to get out when I was 18 (I also pretended I was an adult?) but it didn't have the climatic extremities of the prairy... it just rained all the time. Then I said how it impacted on me cos now I was the head of the WDC trying to improve the west (basically a rant with my knowledge from geog!!)

I did essay 6 and talked about the difficulty of finding one thing (e.g. Culture, religion, citizenship , place of residence etc.) that united all Irish people. Nut I only had time to write about 3 pages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Namaste2u

I dun goofed...

I didn't put an address in for the letter, and didn't say who it was from....

But it read like a letter, referred to the person it was addressed to etc

Does anyone know how many marks I'll loose for the address??

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

For the letter was it informal or formal? I wrote informal?
    and did you need two addresses ?

Formal I would think, its a reply to an article.
    I wrote two addresses, just made her address originally Quebec, then decided on Montreal.... mine was based on a waterfall :cool:

Que reaction involving the impact nature has on the citizens of a rural area....
    Just said how much i could relate and identify with her article and how it mirrored my childhood and area... still mine was a page involving no flowery language, just straighforward make point,quote, relate to quote x2 with a conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

I really liked the comprehensions, especially the Paul Theroux one, and the questions were really good, I probably spent too much time on question A because I had so much to write ^^
    comprehending was grand too, not fantastic but good enough.
    Overall, good paper :)

Namaste2u wrote: »
    I dun goofed...

I didn't put an address in for the letter, and didn't say who it was from....

But it read like a letter, referred to the person it was addressed to etc

Does anyone know how many marks I'll loose for the address??

Wondering about this too, I messed up there. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Anyone do O level English? what did you think and how many pages did you write?

• Advertisement

Dapics wrote: »
    Formal I would think, its a reply to an article.
    I wrote two addresses, just made her address originally Quebec, then decided on Montreal.... mine was based on a waterfall :cool:

Que reaction involving the impact nature has on the citizens of a rural area....
    Just said how much i could relate and identify with her article and how it mirrored my childhood and area... still mine was a page involving no flowery language, just straighforward make point,quote, relate to quote x2 with a conclusion.

Awwwwwwwwwww ****e

Wondering about this too, I messed up there. >_<

2 or 3 marks is what i got taken off my 42/50 answer for my mocks based on a letter,i did the wrong format for an address, my answer was 2 pages long. It was exactly like the question on 1.B though i didn't get it finished so i'm hoping i get some sympathy marks from the examiner.... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

I ended my letter with her quote of ''This is where my world began'' .. Anyone else end with a quote?..

Sorta! I was like "..[my homeplace] was where the world, my world, began"

I think we chose a good ending :D

this lad in my exam room wrote his whole english exam in a PENCIL

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

I didn't put in a second address for the letter either. There's even more marks lost. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 teacake

Anyone do composition 6? I dont know if I done it right, I wrote about things such as alcohol that make us distinct from other nations, would that have been right?

Ah I assumed the letter was a descriptive piece informally, like writing as a fan.
    Paper 2 better bring me up I need those 50 marks can't mess up on poetry if Plath/Rich didn't show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Got 19 pages down (alot of which is probably testament to the size of my writing) and did the personal essay on 'the marvels of today's world' suggesting them to be those of us who are not consumed by the necessity to 'prove ourselves' and have self-gratification and how I envy these people. Hope it was relevant! I assume there aren't too many around this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

I ended my letter with her quote of ''This is where my world began'' .. Anyone else end with a quote?..
    I ended by saying "home is where memories are made and cherished forever". Time moves on, people change but my home will always be my home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Darren.993 wrote: »
    I didn't put in a second address for the letter either. There's even more marks lost. :(

I didn't either. :( I hope I don't lose many marks for that, I thought the actual writing of it went so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Haha did you have a climax in yours involving saving a lives?
    I did engineering last year I dropped the subject this year.

Reflecting back, I may not be happy with essay... I used class words though... But my ending was just about me stopping drinking... I said I went to festival got drunk and went to hospital and stuff... Using big words for stuff like... For example some of it was:

''The burger and chip stalls where making a roaring trade''

I used a Robert Frost quote I said that he bemoaned the fact that he ''took the road less travelled by, and that had made all the difference'' in many ways I can empathise with his dilema..

It was pretty much that language the whole way through but maybe the story just wasn't actually great :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I dunno what to think really. :/

Text 1 QA- completely messed it up except for may be part (iii). I couldn't find evidences or describe her attitude so ya- totally messed up. :(

Text 3 QB- I *think* I did pretty okay but I didn't really have any experience of writing a *persuasive article* so it might sound like a speech. I used a lot of rhetorical questions- good or bad? Could someone please tell me what a persuasive article looks like please? I really hope the corrector likes this because I messed up QA.

Short story no. 7- I think I did well on this- never done a short story before really, always did the personal essay so I hope I didn't make it sound like a personal essay. It was in third person though- do we have to have a lot of description for short story? and I forgot to give a title :(

Ran out of time so had to rush through conclusions and QA (i) . I just hope I do better than last year.
    I really wanna do better than last year :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Ah I assumed the letter was a descriptive piece informally, like writing as a fan.
    Paper 2 better bring me up I need those 50 marks can't mess up on poetry if Plath/Rich didn't show up.

If Plath doesn't come up I think half of the people doing Leaving are f*cked...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

teacake wrote: »
    Anyone do composition 6? I dont know if I done it right, I wrote about things such as alcohol that make us distinct from other nations, would that have been right?

I did #6 also, I found I had no other choice! Yeah I'm sure thats fine if I had more time my next point was going to be about our alcoholic culture haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Magaa wrote: »
    Anyone do O level English? what did you think and how many pages did you write?

I did Ordinary Level. Wrote A from Text 2 and B from Text 3. Did the "taking down giants" composition. 10 pages altogether. You? :)

Reflecting back, I may not be happy with essay... I used class words though... But my ending was just about me stopping drinking... I said I went to festival got drunk and went to hospital and stuff... Using big words for stuff like... For example some of it was:

''The burger and chip stalls where making a roaring trade''

I used a Robert Frost quote I said that he bemoaned the fact that he ''took the road less travelled by, and that had made all the difference'' in many ways I can empathise with his dilema..

It was pretty much that language the whole way through but maybe the story just wasn't actually great :confused:

Aw it should be alright. My language was pretty basic I had more action or thinking then descriptions. Paper 2 will bring me up. I messed up on the letter doing informal . I'm just going to focus on paper 2 now :).

RedTexan wrote: »
    Got 19 pages down (alot of which is probably testament to the size of my writing) and did the personal essay on 'the marvels of today's world' suggesting them to be those of us who are not consumed by the necessity to 'prove ourselves' and have self-gratification and how I envy these people. Hope it was relevant! I assume there aren't too many around this thread!

Looking at all the other personal essay topics now, mine looks like tripe... I talked about the simple, understated things in a modern world, nothing intricate like that. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 teacake

I did #6 also, I found I had no other choice! Yeah I'm sure thats fine if I had more time my next point was going to be about our alcoholic culture haha

Yeah just talking to other people, they seemd to talk about our history and that, but I wrote about simple things, hope it was alright haha.
    What else did you write about?

Listen lads.... I have a wee suspicion that Rich/Kavanagh may make an appearance.... they both came up in 2010 and i think they both came up in 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Was it just me who found the Question A's pretty challenging? B and the composing was grand.. Done the letter and no. 1 in composing (:

Advertisement