Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

If Plath doesn't come up I think half of the people doing Leaving are f*cked...

I know I'm going to study all the women so at least one of them has to show up. I have essays on Rich and Boland I need to redo as I lost the one I had so it'll be a sample answer just modified into my own words lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

For the people that are worried about length or relevance. Last years guidelines for the examiners only say "Expect 3 and a half pages before considering awarding full marks.", so you could sill get say 80/100 for a perfect essay that was only three pages.

The guidelines also state three times that if it can be relevant in any way, it is relevant. The longest version of this says "If the composition could be relevant it is relevant. Where a student launches into a flight of imagination that is clearly prompted by the title, though only having a metaphoric relationship to it, the essay should be treated as fully relevant"

So everyone should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Dapics wrote: »
    Listen lads.... I have a wee suspicion that Rich/Kavanagh may make an appearance.... they both came up in 2010 and i think they both came up in 2008.

Good! If Plath doesn't show, I need Rich to. Nobody seems too enthusiastic on her though...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

teacake wrote: »
    Yeah just talking to other people, they seemd to talk about our history and that, but I wrote about simple things, hope it was alright haha.
    What else did you write about?

Um I mentioned history alright, culture, irish language and sport! Not sure if its right either. 'Write an address' Really put me off! Wasn't sure what it ment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Reflecting back, I may not be happy with essay... I used class words though... But my ending was just about me stopping drinking... I said I went to festival got drunk and went to hospital and stuff... Using big words for stuff like... For example some of it was:
    ''The burger and chip stalls where making a roaring trade''
    Your "big phrases" like 'roaring trade' will be overshadowed if you used where instead of were.

You need to be careful tomorrow with Paper II. It doesn't really matter how many fancy phrases and words you write. If you don't get the basics right or have poor syntax/sentence structure you'll be penalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

GarIT wrote: »
    For the people that are worried about length or relevance. Last years guidelines for the examiners only say "Expect 3 and a half pages before considering awarding full marks.", so you could sill get say 80/100 for a perfect essay that was only three pages.

The guidelines also state three times that if it can be relevant in any way, it is relevant. The longest version of this says "If the composition could be relevant it is relevant. Where a student launches into a flight of imagination that is clearly prompted by the title, though only having a metaphoric relationship to it, the essay should be treated as fully relevant"

So everyone should be fine.

Cheers for that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Namaste2u

Dapics wrote: »
    Listen lads.... I have a wee suspicion that Rich/Kavanagh may make an appearance.... they both came up in 2010 and i think they both came up in 2008.

Well I have a feeling Heaney and Boland might come up, the way that they were referenced in text two almost seems like some sort of omen.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Was really happy inside, looked back at the essay title and realised I'd done it fairly wrong. Can somebody just tell me if it's a disaster or not? Picked the last one.. Wrote about how I moved away and came back and everything had changed etc, then gave advice to people who wanted to move..not to move? Agh :(

Namaste2u wrote: »
    Well I have a feeling Heaney and Boland might come up, the way that they were referenced in text two almost seems like some sort of omen.

Perhaps the SEC has a sense of humour after all!
    Or they could be playing an evil wee trick.... either way, im gonna start studying boland.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Looking at all the other personal essay topics now, mine looks like tripe... I talked about the simple, understated things in a modern world, nothing intricate like that. :eek:
    It's really impossible to know! Our teacher always said be personal and I'm not too bothered if some fella up the country thinks I'm mentally unstable, sitting in his attic while I'm an incoherent drunken mess!

• Advertisement

Was it just me who found the Question A's pretty challenging? B and the composing was grand.. Done the letter and no. 1 in composing (:

I found them challenging the ended up doing the last text. I'd not done comparing images but that was in the text 2 but that had elements of speech writing which I forgot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Aw it should be alright. My language was pretty basic I had more action or thinking then descriptions. Paper 2 will bring me up. I messed up on the letter doing informal . I'm just going to focus on paper 2 now :).

Yeah Paper 2 be alright only thing I hate and have always hated is god damn Poetry.. Only doing Plath though going to take the risk if she doesn't come up ahh well I should still pass... As long as you know story of Hamlet and some fancy words it should be easy enough.. And same with comparative...

For those who did the Paul Thearaux comprehension: what did ye say when ye were comparing Image A and Image B? Just curious.

Your "big phrases" like 'roaring trade' will be overshadowed if you used where instead of were.

You need to be careful tomorrow with Paper II. It doesn't really matter how many fancy phrases and words you write. If you don't get the basics right or have poor syntax/sentence structure you'll be penalised.

I think I used were in the actual thing... When typing I often make mistakes :p

On the subject of length, a fella in my class wrote a short story two and a half pages in the mock and got full marks. And these mocks were sent to another teacher in a different school who corrects the English paper every summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Was it just me who found the Question A's pretty challenging? B and the composing was grand.. Done the letter and no. 1 in composing (:

I found them challenging the ended up doing the last text. I'd not done comparing images but that was in the text 2 but that had elements of speech writing which I forgot.

I actually done that one too, never thought of comparing them though even though I've done images /: couldn't get to grips with the one about the Famine though /: over though (:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

For those who did the Paul Thearaux comprehension: what did ye say when ye were comparing Image A and Image B? Just curious.
    I said about how A was cartoonistic and would show off a more humourous side of the text. B was more serious and shows how quickly time moves. Blah blah blah!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Done my english OL exam today leaving cert and thought i done quite well on text 1 2 and 3 but then when it came to the composition section I realised that i only had 30 minutes left!! So I was rushing to do the essay and only managed to get 2 pages done about celebrities and famous people. Though it went horrible because i lost track of time!!

I'm really upset and hopefully the essay won't effect my overall mark, so id anyone else lose out of a question because of time??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 felixfelicis

Essay went PERFECT! Prepared it only yesterday, and Q 7 literally was the basis of my original plot. Didn't have to change a thing. Got 5.5 pages down for it. Very happy. Plus, my timing, which is usually awful, was spot on - and I had 20 minutes to spare. A nice way to start the exams! Now, fingers crossed for PLATH & HEANEY!

I said the B image reflects on how life goes so fast and stuff like that.. Some stuff about him reflecting on his own life and venturing fourth.. Don't know how well that one would have went though, it was tough enough one...

• Advertisement

ConTheCat wrote: »
    I said about how A was cartoonistic and would show off a more humourous side of the text. B was more serious and shows how quickly time moves. Blah blah blah!!:)

Pretty much same without the humourous side ..

I hope I didn't make too many mistakes as I didn't have time to read over anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

damn damn damn damn damn damn just realised on question a's that last one was 20 marker.. I definitely put more work into the other two? I did text 2 and just wrote a paragraph on each of the images I picked uuugh, my timing was atrocious today, didn't get to read over!!!

Yeah Paper 2 be alright only thing I hate and have always hated is god damn Poetry.. Only doing Plath though going to take the risk if she doesn't come up ahh well I should still pass... As long as you know story of Hamlet and some fancy words it should be easy enough.. And same with comparative...

I pretty good with the comparative I just need to read a few of my notes and the essay I have written might do a chart to have a quick look to compare them. I need to learn a few more quotes. I'm going over Boland since that text they had today featured something about her. I need a B1 in english I'd love an A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I was thrilled. Did 1A and 3B - Made the page look like the google chrome browser and all :L Did Q7 as well which was almost identical to an essay I did during the year except it was a girl leaving to go to college and not wanting to go, so I changed it to her parents didn't want her to go and her stepdad was an ass.

Mr. SEC, I was wondering if I can marry English Paper One?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I thought that was loads of writing earlier - wait till tomorrow! :(

ConTheCat wrote: »

Image B

I said that the train tracks represent the path of life, the trains blur reflected the nature of recollection - i.e - it is truly a trip down memory lane.
    I said the lightning painted a dark scenario and emphasized how each one of us is on our own unique path and how it is illuminated to guide us.
    I also said the image reflected the theme of the text - that of recollection/memory and i said how certain aspects of the text were captured in the image

Image A
    How it is cartoonish and it does not reflect the mood of the poem. The background does not emphazise the true path of us as we journey on life.
    The image does not capture as much aspects of the theme/subject matter as Image B.

I wrote a page and a half with conclusion, im hoping i got an A1 in that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I made 3 points on the images... I kinda panicked near the end of the question cos i'd finished my 2nd point and hadn't compared the two yet! freaked out but it actually read well in the end.

I just said:
    image A is of a train passing many countries and places around the world, and may stand for new beginnings and new places to start afresh. It can represent happier times in a person's life as they constatly move forward, putting the past behind them. Whereas in image B, we're greeted with a more desolate scene of the glimpse of a training passing a dimly lit station.. blah blahhhh
    I think image B illustrates the text more as Paul writes of how life is passing him by, how places he once knew have changed and all he has are memories. The train may stand for pauls' life, and he is now just a spectator, standing on the platform watching it zoom by, he has no control over it's force.

god I'm such a BS'er

I wrote about how Image A contained memories of people and places (Russia, China) and had more nostalgia whereas while Image B brought forth the ghostliness he mentioned, it was devoid of nostalgia and was more secluded. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Ok a little worried - I'm delighted with my Quesyion A and Question B - but I forgot to give my article in question B a title - will this bring me down a lot? And also - I answered the light hearted and entertaining article on "having all the time in the world" but I feel I was far too serious in it because I talked about body image and alcohol and drugs with young people. I'm hoping for the A1 because English is my best subject but I highly doubt that'll happen now :( Can anyone help?

Advertisement