Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I pretty good with the comparative I just need to read a few of my notes and the essay I have written might do a chart to have a quick look to compare them. I need to learn a few more quotes. I'm going over Boland since that text they had today featured something about her. I need a B1 in english I'd love an A.

Yeah I was going to aim for an A .. But my lack of study skills let me down, I didn't start studying till yesterday.. I am however hoping for a B which is what I got in the Junior Cert... Should get a C anyways when I look over everything tonight, usually everything sticks into my head after reading it the night before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

For those who did the Paul Thearaux comprehension: what did ye say when ye were comparing Image A and Image B? Just curious.

I think I wrote that the image A the train is facing towards you so it's as if you are going back in time to visit his memories rather than the train facing the other way. And that the other image B, it's just a picture that looks like it could be taken by anyone or something :S. And then the ghost people in his picture wouldn't know he'd been there before and a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

jmclee wrote: »
    damn damn damn damn damn damn just realised on question a's that last one was 20 marker.. I definitely put more work into the other two? I did text 2 and just wrote a paragraph on each of the images I picked uuugh, my timing was atrocious today, didn't get to read over!!!

ahh NO I didn't realise it was a 20 marker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Yeah I was going to aim for an A .. But my lack of study skills let me down, I didn't start studying till yesterday.. I am however hoping for a B which is what I got in the Junior Cert... Should get a C anyways when I look over everything tonight, usually everything sticks into my head after reading it the night before...

Aw I've got a C for the jc but I forgot my poem. I've gotten C1's or B1's or A1's in my essays' I've done this year. I've only gotten 2 A's so far. Only on the comparative and my role of women essay so if that comes up I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Ok a little worried - I'm delighted with my Quesyion A and Question B - but I forgot to give my article in question B a title - will this bring me down a lot? And also - I answered the light hearted and entertaining article on "having all the time in the world" but I feel I was far too serious in it because I talked about body image and alcohol and drugs with young people. I'm hoping for the A1 because English is my best subject but I highly doubt that'll happen now :( Can anyone help?
    Hadn't even thought about that (re:title) to be honest I don't think it makes a significant difference (perhaps wishful thinking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

jmclee wrote: »
    damn damn damn damn damn damn just realised on question a's that last one was 20 marker.. I definitely put more work into the other two? I did text 2 and just wrote a paragraph on each of the images I picked uuugh, my timing was atrocious today, didn't get to read over!!!

Did the same! Wrote twice as much for both parts a and separately than I did for c

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I didn't think it was too bad, thought it would've been a lot worse.

The Question A I did was the Mary Robinson one and thought I answered it well enough.
    The Question B I did was the letter and i thought it went ok maybe could've gone a little better
    The composition I did was the Q.7 Short Story about leaving home and again I thought it went well.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Ok a little worried - I'm delighted with my Quesyion A and Question B - but I forgot to give my article in question B a title - will this bring me down a lot? And also - I answered the light hearted and entertaining article on "having all the time in the world" but I feel I was far too serious in it because I talked about body image and alcohol and drugs with young people. I'm hoping for the A1 because English is my best subject but I highly doubt that'll happen now :( Can anyone help?

****! Forgot to add in my titles! Fml. Will I lose a lot of marks? Fuccccck!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Just for those of you wondering about english paper 1

Here's my interpretation of it

1. Its all down to luck
    2. The examiner will generally look for quality over quantity
    3. If he/she gets a batch, it could be full of really bad compositions and/or really good Section 1's and 2's.
    4. Don't worry, if you have a flair for the language then a b is generally achievable provided you have a basic grasp of the structures necessary for answers and have reasonable depth with quotes. Ultimately the examiner will be looking out for analysis of quotes and summaries, these tend to reveal the analytical skills of the student.
    5. The examiner is not out to lose you marks, but give you marks. You will always get some marks for an answer no matter how bad/short.
    6. Forget about what happened and focus on paper 2, generally paper 2 is the one that is marked harder.
    This year, it was very difficult for students to have prepared stuff for paper 1. This will be reflected in their qualities of answers.

So Im off to study Heaney, Boland and Try to succesfully interpret the role of women.

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I did Q5 too, mine was quite jokey though so I'm not sure how it's gonna go.
    I dealt with serious aspects too however.
    I wrote about students think they have all the time in the world to prepare for state exams, but in reality dont. And then mentioned the typical traits of a procrastinator :P (denial, realisation, panic, resolution) and how NOT to go about 6th year, then went on to say how people should study because allthough it kills, it pays off and can be fun the odd time.
    I quite liked it and it tied today but I dont know :/
    body image/alcohol/drugs is quite serious stuff.. how does that relate to "we have all the time in the world?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Did much people do Question 1 (Personal essay about what you consider to be the marvels in today's world) in the composition?

I talked about my experiences when visiting Ground Zero, Central Park, Rome etc.

Is this what they were looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

I did this composition and as previously stated, I took quite an abstract approach suggesting the marvels of today's world are those not slaves to popular culture and are happy with themselves, but your guess is as good as mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Done my english OL exam today leaving cert and thought i done quite well on text 1 2 and 3 but then when it came to the composition section I realised that i only had 30 minutes left!! So I was rushing to do the essay and only managed to get 2 pages done about celebrities and famous people. Though it went horrible because i lost track of time!!

I'm really upset and hopefully the essay won't effect my overall mark, so id anyone else lose out of a question because of time??? :(

Same here but I didn't even get 2 pages done for the essay :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Oh ****. I didn't quote at all in the comprehensions. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

For those who did the Paul Thearaux comprehension: what did ye say when ye were comparing Image A and Image B? Just curious.
    I said image B, I said the ghost like image of the train was reference to the spectre similae in the opening paragraph, the contrast between dark and light in the picture was reference to ups and downs he experienced on his trip, the picture was greyscale, a reference to old age, and the lack of a presence of people in the photo highlighted the solitary nature of the train journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Oh ****. I didn't quote at all in the comprehensions. :(
    :O that may be a problem :O
    small problem though!! (: how'd ya do in the rest of the paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I wrote about students think they have all the time in the world to prepare for state exams, but in reality dont. And then mentioned the typical traits of a procrastinator :P (denial, realisation, panic, resolution) and how NOT to go about 6th year, then went on to say how people should study because allthough it kills, it pays off and can be fun the odd time.
    body image/alcohol/drugs is quite serious stuff.. how does that relate to "we have all the time in the world?"

That sounds really like mine :eek: I also used that Dwight from the Office quote about how people say life is short, but it's actually the longest thing you'll ever do. Yeah I don't really know where I was going...

Did the Mary Robinson comprehension, and the letter part B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

It was about how teenagers are trying to grow up too fast and I was just saying how we have all the time in the world to grow and develop and that we shouldn't force ourselves into being something we're not. It's a bit all over the place, but I guess that just shows how badly I work under pressure! So long A :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Bubbleope wrote: »
    :O that may be a problem :O
    small problem though!! (: how'd ya do in the rest of the paper?

Not great at all. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

RedTexan wrote: »
    On the subject of length, a fella in my class wrote a short story two and a half pages in the mock and got full marks. And these mocks were sent to another teacher in a different school who corrects the English paper every summer.

The examiners aren't allowed give full marks on the comprehension if it is less than 3 and a half pages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

And you know that how?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Not great at all. :/
    i'm sure you got at least a good 100+ marks anyways. :) you seem like a shmart one :)
    your paper 2 can change it all around!
    at least we have the morning to study for it :D (unless you do engineering O: )
    so focus only on that for now and you'll be grand. (: don't stress too much. just take a few deep breaths and a good nice bottle of water with you to the exam tomorrow and it'll all go well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 paulinap

short question: so do we have to pass both papers to pass english or can you get like 30% in paper 1 and 70% in paper 2?

basically am i screwed if i failed paper 1 today?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Anybody do the speech on national identity? I thought it was a beauty, very similar to the importance of irish culture that came up in previous years. Got in some nice quotes as well, so happy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Does anyone know if you lose much marks for not giving a title for the article on 3B and not giving the short story a title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

GarIT wrote: »
    The examiners aren't allowed give full marks on the comprehension if it is less than 3 and a half pages.

Ah but in fairness that's a load of sh*te :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I doubt you lose many. I never title my short story and I usually get in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

Anybody do the speech on national identity? I thought it was a beauty, very similar to the importance of irish culture that came up in previous years. Got in some nice quotes as well, so happy! :)

yeah I did that one also.. wasn't too bad B)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Titled my story for the first time, "Breaking Free" :L Wrote a nice quick spider plan too to calm my nerves and show the SEC that I did not learn one off :cool:

(Look what they've reduced me to! Spider plans!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

yeah I did that one also.. wasn't too bad B)

What did you talk about? I mentioned culture, the people of ireland, how we're viewed internationally, community spirit etc.

Advertisement