Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I dont think you lose marks on your short story for not having a title, the title is actually the question you were asked as you were asked to answer in accordance to the title given i.e- why a character wants to leave home. I doubt any examiners would even notice or care, they just want to get through as many papers as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

What did you talk about? I mentioned culture, the people of ireland, how we're viewed internationally, community spirit etc.

I dont think many people chose it, #7 was most popular from this thread anyway, thats a good thing for us right? Yeah few things like that,history,sport,language aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

I dont think many people chose it, #7 was most popular from this thread anyway, thats a good thing for us right? Yeah few things like that,history,sport,language aswell.

Yeah seems like that, I hope it is. :) Cool, did you put any quotes in? I managed to squeeze one in from Mary Robinson and one from Winston Churchill for my conclusion. Should be impressive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Composition 7

24 year old qualified doctor living at home, wants to move out but scared of big bad world and won't be able to cope and always been afraid of taking risks, mom also agrees that I'm not one for risks. Basically, move out, living with friend,celebrate by going out, have a few drinks, someone collapses,gotta decide wheter to intervene or not as I'm under the influence, I do intervene and do little procedure. Skip to that night at hospital, descriptions etc, stay the night, guy doesn't make it through night. Fast forward 2 weeks later with medical consultants about wheter the person dided due to my intervention,not guilty. "I took a risk leaving home, and I took a risk that night" yadda yadda BS conclusion.

I feel I went way to off topic frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif will I lose alot of marks for that? And please tell me with stories you can do a * * * * * and then start paragraph 2 weeks ahead or something frown.gif?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

Yeah seems like that, I hope it is. :) Cool, did you put any quotes in? I managed to squeeze one in from Mary Robinson and one from Winston Churchill for my conclusion. Should be impressive! :D

Nope, never even thought of that! Ahh thats wise :)
    Best forget about it now and try get quotes in my head for tomorrow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Hayezer wrote: »
    Composition 7

24 year old qualified doctor living at home, wants to move out but scared of big bad world and won't be able to cope and always been afraid of taking risks, mom also agrees that I'm not one for risks. Basically, move out, living with friend,celebrate by going out, have a few drinks, someone collapses,gotta decide wheter to intervene or not as I'm under the influence, I do intervene and do little procedure. Skip to that night at hospital, descriptions etc, stay the night, guy doesn't make it through night. Fast forward 2 weeks later with medical consultants about wheter the person dided due to my intervention,not guilty. "I took a risk leaving home, and I took a risk that night" yadda yadda BS conclusion.

I feel I went way to off topic frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif will I lose alot of marks for that? And please tell me with stories you can do a * * * * * and then start paragraph 2 weeks ahead or something frown.gif?

Yeah, I'm gonna say that's a C essay if I'm honest. .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

Irish94 wrote: »
    Did much people do Question 1 (Personal essay about what you consider to be the marvels in today's world) in the composition?

I talked about my experiences when visiting Ground Zero, Central Park, Rome etc.

Is this what they were looking for?

I wrote about place I have been to too. I also wrote about The Arab Springs and how the people are marvels and I wrote about technology aswell. I only wrote about 4 pages and three themes but I didnt want it to drag on so I was relatively happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nayrneleh

Everyone seems quite disappointed with this paper bar me.
    I did the question A from text 1, question B from text 3 and the composition about the world's marvels. Wrote about 11 pages all together. Very happy with it, let's just hope paper 2 goes as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Omfg I'm only after realising I misread the composing question.. Great /:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

Guys seriously,you know te easy about time? How many marks do you think I'd lose if I wrote a completely serious article (which I thought was really excellent until I got home) where the question states 'a ligt hearted and entertaining article? Would I lose a loaaad of marks??:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Yeah, I'm gonna say that's a C essay if I'm honest. .

F sake panicked badly in there trying to come up with a simple idea so instead I tried force in the one I made up on the morning -_- Could have just wrote about someone getting bullied, or football trials or something, seems so easy to get ideas now :( would be delighted to get 60 out of that, I'm just scared I'll miss massive marks straight away for veering off topic even though I initially answered the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Does anyone who has previously got an A1 know how much pages they wrote for the 3 sections??? I know its quality not quantity but need to put my mind at ease....

Just under 5 for my essay, 1 and a half for question a and just over 2 for B. It IS quality not quantity, I'm sure yours is fine.

Dearbhaile wrote: »
    Guys seriously,you know te easy about time? How many marks do you think I'd lose if I wrote a completely serious article (which I thought was really excellent until I got home) where the question states 'a ligt hearted and entertaining article? Would I lose a loaaad of marks??:(

Your question kinda contradicts itself in a way.....

It could be very serious yet be humourous without a doubt. IMO, what they were asking for there was for students to apply the writing styles they learnt through their studies of the LC and use certain themes to compose a light-hearted article.
    Dont worry the examiner will be open-minded and if you used enough humour it could definately still get full marks, they are supposed to interpret it with respect to the question answered.

Hope this helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Namlub wrote: »
    And you know that how?

It says it on correction guidelines given to the examiners to give them an idea of how to mark the exam. I don't know for definate about this year but up until this year it has said "Expect 3 and a half pages".
    Wesc. wrote: »
    Ah but in fairness that's a load of sh*te :pac:

If that's what the examiners are told how is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 g l

Hey, I just realised I did my part B from the same comprehension as my part A. I'm aware that it isn't allowed, just really hoping there's somebody out there who got away with it in the past. Am I f*cked?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Did the letter for the section b, thought i did well enough in it... question A i did on Mary Robinson.. For the essay i did the speech & it was pretty terrible:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

Heyy guys! I did Part B) in Text 1.. the letter. I really loved it and it was so easy to write about it in my opinion. After doing that, I did Q7 in the Composition.. My essay was about a teenager living in a rough area with his mum who is an addict, and the area is all run-down with a lot of gang related violence, drug distribution etc. It sounds much worse that what it was, aha. I wrote around 6 pages for that however my writing is big-ish. =/ Oh and, I didn't get that finished until 12.05 and I didn't even start on Question A! I did A) Text 3, and my Examiner gave me an extra 10 minutes which was lovely of him, so I actually got it all done!

Oh and, just realized I put in my own address in the letter rather than Margaret whats-her-name's address.. well, that's kind of awkward. Will I lose a lot of marks? ):

Paper 2 is going to be a disaster tomorrow. I just can't write fast enough!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Was Mary Mc Aleese mentioned on the Ordinary paper? Because I was listening to the radio and a candidate (!) was interviewed saying the question on Mc Aleese was easy etc.

I almost had a heart attack thinking I had thought it was Mary Robinson by mistake!
    my Examiner gave me an extra 10 minutes which was lovely of him, so I actually got it all done!

:rolleyes:

Hayezer wrote: »
    F sake panicked badly in there trying to come up with a simple idea so instead I tried force in the one I made up on the morning -_- Could have just wrote about someone getting bullied, or football trials or something, seems so easy to get ideas now :( would be delighted to get 60 out of that, I'm just scared I'll miss massive marks straight away for veering off topic even though I initially answered the question.

The guidelines given out at the marking confrence say that once it is a tiny bit relevant and folloes the genre it is to be treated at relevant. Once you have a short story with some mention of moving away from home they can't mark you down for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Hellogood2012

g l wrote: »
    Hey, I just realised I did my part B from the same comprehension as my part A. I'm aware that it isn't allowed, just really hoping there's somebody out there who got away with it in the past. Am I f*cked?

Ugh, think you could be in trouble there but not completely sure... You sure they were both from the same text?

• Advertisement

You will get the marks for whichever scored higher.

Ugh, think you could be in trouble there but not completely sure... You sure they were both from the same text?

Yeh I'm certain they were from the same one. Feels quite **** to be honest.. my paper was at least B1 standard but I've quite possibly pissed away 25% of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Right, can someone tell me this, the marvels of the world.. I took that to mean the wonders in your world/life today that you take for granted, appreciate etc. after taking in the world marvel. Not say the 7 wonders of the world, or what possibly could be an 8th wonder. I probably just lost a 100 marks, right? I know they say the heading is just to give ideas, but everyone seems to have written about places..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Hellogood2012

GarIT wrote: »

You will get the marks for whichever scored higher.

But thats still fifty marks down the drain I think....

reznov wrote: »
    You're ****ed I'm afraid.

Well thats certainly relieved her anxiety.

you could indeed be in trouble as you are not meant to answer both from same text, its not allowed. Yet your examiner may not care and will answer it and include it in the final mark.... the examiner is human, if she needed to regrade them because she marked them too easy then yours would logically be the one to investigate... thats if she marks it.

Forget about this, hold your head up high and continue to study. its not the end of the world, just try your best because at this stage thats all you can do.

Yeh this could very easily be the difference between me getting into college next year too, just attacked the paper from the start I didn't even think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

Yeh this could very easily be the difference between me getting into college next year too, just attacked the paper from the start I didn't even think about it.

I feel so bad for you! :( Maybe you can make up for the lost marks with a good Paper 2? (:

Right, can someone tell me this, the marvels of the world.. I took that to mean the wonders in your world/life today that you take for granted, appreciate etc. after taking in the world marvel. Not say the 7 wonders of the world, or what possibly could be an 8th wonder. I probably just lost a 100 marks, right? I know they say the heading is just to give ideas, but everyone seems to have written about places..

You answered correctly, you have not wasted any marks. Your answer will get the marks it deserves, dont worry.
    Read the question carefully, it does not mention any specific places, you could have written about your backyard or a graveyard for all the examiner cares: your answer is ok for the question answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Omg!! That was handy wrote about 10 pages did T1 b and T2 a. And of course no. 7 composing, basically my character dies at the end :]

• Advertisement

I feel so bad for you! :( Maybe you can make up for the lost marks with a good Paper 2? (:

Heh, It'd take a miracle. I can probably still pull a C1-B3 but I really needed a B1.

Advertisement