Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Dapics wrote: »
    Right, can someone tell me this, the marvels of the world.. I took that to mean the wonders in your world/life today that you take for granted, appreciate etc. after taking in the world marvel. Not say the 7 wonders of the world, or what possibly could be an 8th wonder. I probably just lost a 100 marks, right? I know they say the heading is just to give ideas, but everyone seems to have written about places..

You answered correctly, you have not wasted any marks. Your answer will get the marks it deserves, dont worry.
    Read the question carefully, it does not mention any specific places, you could have written about your backyard or a graveyard for all the examiner cares: your answer is ok for the question answered.

But like I didn't answer about places at all really, I talked about education, family, travel. etc, all that we take for granted which are wonders in our lives, we don't realise it, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

g l wrote: »
    Heh, It'd take a miracle. I can probably still pull a C1-B3 but I really needed a B1.

I ran out of time on my question B, only wrote one page so the max marks i can get is 25.
    There's other people in the same boat, the real test of character is your willingness to soldier on, I know I am, i dont care about what happened to me, these things happen and we shouldn't reflect on them too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

Oh and, I answered Q7 "Write a short story in which a young character is eager to leave home".. But i'm kind of scaring myself. A lot of people actually wrote about WHEN their character moved, But I didn't really =/ In my ending paragraph, I sort of fast-forwarded to a time in which the main character was married, had settled down and told his teenage son the quote. "When I was eighteen, I couldn't wait to get out of that town.."

Did I do this wrong? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

But like I didn't answer about places at all really, I talked about education, family, travel. etc, all that we take for granted which are wonders in our lives, we don't realise it, etc..

In that case, I would think it depends on what you talked about, you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

How the hell are people writing one page for part A? I did one page for each seperate part, sometimes a page and a half, so that's at least three pages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

I thought the paper was nice! Chose to do question A from text 1 and question B from text 3 (lovely question!). Opted for Q7 for the composition. Kind of a clichéd story I think but it was about this girl (story told by her mother) and how amazing she was and how much she loved her yada yada, she was pretty intelligent etc and the mother was heartbroken at how she was planning on leaving Waterford for Dublin to go to Uni etc and then at the end I revealed she was killed in a car accident and will be 'eighteen forever' (as she wished at the beginning cos it was her birthday). Twas all I could really think of doing! I tried my best to make the examiner fall in love with the character of the girl (called Juliette) and feel shock and maybe a little bit sad at the end. I think it worked anyway, I was rather proud of it! Not exactly original or ground-breaking, but still. Titled it 'Juliette'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

How the hell are people writing one page for part A? I did one page for each seperate part, sometimes a page and a half, so that's at least three pages!

Good for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Right, can someone tell me this, the marvels of the world.. I took that to mean the wonders in your world/life today that you take for granted, appreciate etc. after taking in the world marvel. Not say the 7 wonders of the world, or what possibly could be an 8th wonder. I probably just lost a 100 marks, right? I know they say the heading is just to give ideas, but everyone seems to have written about places..
    I wrote about friends family sport and technology:)

I wrote about friends family sport and technology and said how they were marvellous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

I did two & a half, and even then I felt like I was sometimes rambling and being overly repetitive. I doubt most people could get in 3 Pages if they wanted to do a good Essay. I focused most on the Essay, then B) & then I did A) with whatever time I had left over, aha. (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

GarIT wrote: »
    The guidelines given out at the marking confrence say that once it is a tiny bit relevant and folloes the genre it is to be treated at relevant. Once you have a short story with some mention of moving away from home they can't mark you down for that.

Thanks for that, because I DID answer the question in my first page and then just continued the story afterwards and then it went a bit dramatic :P Not my best story by far but I was just so worried that I'd get like 20 marks because everyone seems to have written a story in which the whole thing is about wanting to move! Anyway, paper 2 at me come

Dapics wrote: »

You answered correctly, you have not wasted any marks. Your answer will get the marks it deserves, dont worry.
    Read the question carefully, it does not mention any specific places, you could have written about your backyard or a graveyard for all the examiner cares: your answer is ok for the question answered.

You did a similar thing to me:) I didn't write about any places either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I wrote about friends family sport and technology and said how they were marvellous!

I'm just seeing alot of people say they wrote about places as in the 7 wonders of the world.. And I know the title said outside world or something, but I was always told that's just for ideas :/ kind of feel reassured now? (:

Lads with the persuasuive article, I'd never done an article before :L anything that I should have known about it, and what I should have used? Was worryed it was coming off a bit speechey

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hmf300

i did the Ordinary level, for the essay composing section, i picked the title about mobile phones web browsing, then wrote a short story similar to the film Con Air, and only mentioned a mobile phone once, only realised after. will i get marks or what? i wrote 4 pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Seem to have done the same as a lot of people, that is,

Question 1B, Question 3A(what a load of ****e that was!.... honestly couldnt say what Paul Theroux was like, I thought he contradicted himsel to be honest !) and Question 7,I wrote about a little boy in Belfast treated badly by his parents and bullied, gets locked on the other side of the peace wall after curfew one night and after sleeping outside and makes friends there.... never written such a gay story I usually go for the cliche knights/soldiers crap.

ah well I did my best, that's all I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

Do anyone here do 2B? Or am I the only one?

I wrote my 2B on Alphra Behn - a female writer from the Restoration Period.

The short story about "an inferior rock band howling for fame"...my friend sorta went "an inferior rock band howling for fame was on the radio" and the wrote about something COMPLETELY different :pac::pac::o like 10 marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

I did Question A on text 1!
    Here's what I said...
    (i) The place is never dull because of
    -Things they do in winter
    -Northern Lights
    -The abundance of nature around the town
    -The peculiar characters
    (ii) -She is influenced by it
    -She'll never forget it
    -It's a source of influence
    (iii) I said it was a good autobiography because of....
    -The clear memories
    -The descriptions
    -How we hear her thoughts/emotions

Also, will I lose marks for not putting a title on the article on Text 3??

My main worry is the essay, I did number 3. I compared the "inferior rock-band howling for fame" to a young child who looks for attention, and who is a bit of a "boy who cried wolf". I carried the metaphor throughout the story, but I'm worried it won't be relevant? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

You did a similar thing to me:) I didn't write about any places either!
    I only briefly mentioned places at the beginning and spent my whole essay speaking about people who are happy with themselves and content in life, people who give without expecting to receive to be the marvels. And how I envy them! I thought it was pretty good thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

Yeah, I'm gonna say that's a C essay if I'm honest. .

how can you tell? if the story is well written with good expression and little or no mechanical errors it would be difficult for the examiner to justify taking so many marks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

What was everyones impression on Paul Theroux?
    I said he liked to travel and how he liked the familiarity and how he was proud of his memories or something like that :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I said he liked to travel and how he liked the familiarity and how he was proud of his memories or something like that :S

hated it, waffled so much ****e, said he contradicted himself,liked to revisit memories to construct a profile of who he is? (jesus what was I thinking) and can't remember the last thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

To calm people down a bit there was an example given about the essay titles by the SEC and it said that for an Essay titled "Stargazing" the following three examples are acceptable: You could have written an essay about "Man's curosity to understand space beyond the confines of this planet" or "Daydreaming" or "The media's fascination with the lives of celebrites" They are three completely different takes on one title.

All the rules say is that if it says story it must be a story, if it says speech it must be a speech etc. After that if the composition can be related to the title in the slightest possible way at all it is to be treated as fully relevant.

For 2012 in particular for the essay about marvels, it it had of said places it has to be places but because it said marvels you are free to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

I said he was a very open minded person because he was willing to dispell the traditional views of older people and because he was willing to travel and have new experiences in spite of the potential hardships

• Registered Users Posts: 13 carlow93

paper was grand but my short story was only about 4 or 5 pages?...im a bit worried that there might not have been enough quantity to pass that section even though i was happy with the quality? any feedback would be apprichiated..nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MuireannNiSh

carlow93 wrote: »
    paper was grand but my short story was only about 4 or 5 pages?...im a bit worried that there might not have been enough quantity to pass that section even though i was happy with the quality? any feedback would be apprichiated..nervous!

That's fine. It's quality, not quantity that matters. I only wrote about three and a half pages. Then again, my writing is pretty compact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

does anyone know what are features of autobiographical style? i said it was personal (ie use of first person pronoun), memories/anecdotes, and descriptive imagery, but i'm worried they're just general features of style :S

also did anyone do anything other than number one or seven?? i did the importance of literature!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 carlow93

do u mean 3.5 back to back which would really be 7 pages or just 3.5?....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 MuireannNiSh

I did Question A on text 1!
    Here's what I said...
    (i) The place is never dull because of
    -Things they do in winter
    -Northern Lights
    -The abundance of nature around the town
    -The peculiar characters
    (ii) -She is influenced by it
    -She'll never forget it
    -It's a source of influence
    (iii) I said it was a good autobiography because of....
    -The clear memories
    -The descriptions
    -How we hear her thoughts/emotions

Also, will I lose marks for not putting a title on the article on Text 3??

I had pretty similar points to yours. Hate comprehensions, always end up bull****ting.

I did that question too, and didn't even think to put a title on! I don't know if it matters, because I've given articles up to my teacher and she never corrects me when I neglect to give a title. I hope it doesn't matter anyway - I did an article for the composing section as well, without a title.

Advertisement