Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** English Paper 1, 9:30-12:20 Wednesday 6th June - Before/After Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MuireannNiSh

bazinga_ wrote: »
    does anyone know what are features of autobiographical style? i said it was personal (ie use of first person pronoun), memories/anecdotes, and descriptive imagery, but i'm worried they're just general features of style :S

also did anyone do anything other than number one or seven?? i did the importance of literature!

Haven't a clue. As long as you explained why and backed up your points, I think you should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I'm just seeing alot of people say they wrote about places as in the 7 wonders of the world.. And I know the title said outside world or something, but I was always told that's just for ideas :/ kind of feel reassured now? (:

I started mine off with something like "We've moved a long way from the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World onto more modern wonders" and I talked about technology, travel, cultural diversity, prejudice and intolerance (my take on that was that it's a marvel that people still have such attitudes today) and the advancements in medical research and care. So I wouldn't worry about it :)

carlow93 wrote: »
    do u mean 3.5 back to back which would really be 7 pages or just 3.5?....

Just 3 and a half. But I always write around that for weekend assignments, and I usually get pretty high marks.

Anybody do Q2 on the composing section?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

RedTexan wrote: »
    I only briefly mentioned places at the beginning and spent my whole essay speaking about people who are happy with themselves and content in life, people who give without expecting to receive to be the marvels. And how I envy them! I thought it was pretty good thinking?

ye that sounds good! its what ever way you interpret the question1 you cant lose marks for it! I wrote how my family friend sport and technology were all marvellous to me in today's pressurised world..and gave anecdotes under each paragraph and popped in a few quotes aswell:) Im delighted with how it went anyway and I cant see how you would marks for not mentioning places! It might be good that we didnt as it will stand out and be something different!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 carlow93

Just 3 and a half. But I always write around that for weekend assignments, and I usually get pretty high marks.

cheers for the reassurance...all the best tommorow !

carlow93 wrote: »
    cheers for the reassurance...all the best tommorow !

You too!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Seem to have done the same as a lot of people, that is,

Question 1B, Question 3A(what a load of ****e that was!.... honestly couldnt say what Paul Theroux was like, I thought he contradicted himsel to be honest !) and Question 7,I wrote about a little boy in Belfast treated badly by his parents and bullied, gets locked on the other side of the peace wall after curfew one night and after sleeping outside and makes friends there.... never written such a gay story I usually go for the cliche knights/soldiers crap.

ah well I did my best, that's all I can do.

I said Theroux was introspective and reflective, and placed great importance on the past but was ultimately future-oriented. That is, he wanted to gain enlightenment by revisiting his past but had no intention of dwelling on past events. I also said I admired his positivity, oh and I said he was dynamic and that he pursued new experiences. I liked that question actually but I didn't have time to summarise it at the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Does anyone feel like that wasn't the real leaving cert? Lol
    I came out saying... "oh I spent too much time on the comprehension... I'll try not to let that happen in the real thing" before realising "wait that was the real thing!!"
    The good news is:
    WE NEVER HAVE TO TO COMPREHENSIONS OR COMPOSITIONS AGAIN IN OUR LIVES!!! :D;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

For text 1 QA (iii)- the autobiography question- I said I had mixed feelings but did back my points up. Please tell me this is allowed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Meh. I'd say I did well enough, but I was completely uninspired by the paper, I thought it was sooo boring.

Nothing really than interesting, even the Mary Robinson Comprehension was so feckin' boring.

I did:
    • Text 1- Question B
    • Text 2- Question A
    • Composition No. 7
    Let it go, no good worrying about it now!

Here's hoping for Rich, GV and Polonius tomorrow <3 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

Dear god I didn't finish my 20 mark question or start it and I had to quickly finish my storY. DAMN IT
    But I did QA TEXT 2 AND B TEXT 1

Also number 7 on the essay section.

Everyone did that!! More competition

I might have got a C3 best case
    D1 worst case.

Forgetten and now Paper 2, come on bring me to a B2 or B3

• Registered Users Posts: 16 glitterslut

I feel as thought Ordinary Level Paper 1 went okay. I'm glad celebrities and being famous in the 21st century came up because I am a POP CULTURE FANATIC. I couldn't have asked for a better topic to write about. I could have literally wrote about 12 pages, easily. If you know... time allowed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Text 3 Question A - Very straightforward apart from (i), very pleased

Text 1 Question B - Again very straightforward, done what was asked, 3 pages, long enough for B i hope

Essay 1 - Sooo easy to write on. Just wrote about technology and how amazing it has become, how rich it has become and how far it has come

All in all, pretty happy. No nerves at all, few girls got sick after 2 minutes and poor things had to get their own exam hall and were starting an hour late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Essay 1 - Sooo easy to write on. Just wrote about technology and how amazing it has become, how rich it has become and how far it has come
    ]

What essay was that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Whoever wrote the letter did you put in 1 address or 2 addresses? If you put in 2 and wasn't supposed to do you lose many marks? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Damianlegend

ooh god. I did Question B- text 1 and question A- text 3.. and I also did da essay number 7. I only wrote 3 pages for the essay tho because i ran out of time ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Damianlegend

smithy77 wrote: »
    Whoever wrote the letter did you put in 1 address or 2 addresses? If you put in 2 and wasn't supposed to do you lose many marks? :confused:

I put in one..

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

The reason was my friend rang me there and said '**** I think 2 addresses is for something like a business letter' and he and I were wondering if many marks are lost for it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

I was really happy with the paper :)

I did text 2 qA and text 1 qB. I wrote plenty for the comp questions but I probably could have written more for the B part. I was happy with what I did write though :)

For the essay, I did the first one. It was a personal essay about the "marvels of today's world". It was perfect for me, started going on about technology, social media and it's affect on current affairs :) Absolutely perfect for me :) I wrote four and a half pages which I thought was grand. Quality over quantity and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

I did part B on Q3 (the persuasive article) and I'm starting to be a little worried!
    I started off by saying how 'thrilling' and exciting' the idea was, but then as it proceeded you could tell I was being sarcastic, as in 'let's embark on a mental journey and picture the excitement: awkward talks with teachers,' etc.. IS THIS INAPPROPRIATE?! SO WORRIED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

padocon wrote: »
    What essay was that? :)

Essay title 1, i didn't bring paper and can't remember for the life of me what it is :pac: had an essay done on it before :p

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Hmm, wondering what I stand to lose on my essay;
    Did the EAGER leaving home gag.

But, did this great story about a friendship developing in a scumtown, and they both have equally problems at home...
    got the whole relationship build up, running out of time her, basically rounded it off saying they left together and never looked back.

I put extra emphasis on the word eager, which implies I didn't have to go into any real detail of where theey went, considering they didn't even have to go? They may just sit there and be eager like:L.

somebody reassure me i'm grand? Please aha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Did anyone else do the proposal for part b?

Does a proposal have a structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

The reason was my friend rang me there and said '**** I think 2 addresses is for something like a business letter' and he and I were wondering if many marks are lost for it:confused:

you put in 2. it was a formal/ semi-formal letter. the canadian bird isnt your mate, you dont know her. it's formal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Essay title 1, i didn't bring paper and can't remember for the life of me what it is :pac: had an essay done on it before :p

It was the marvels of the world, sounds like you did well :) I wrote about places I consider to be marvels in the world today. Don't know if that qualifies!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Essays were beautiful, utterly beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I only put in one address - my own address. Is this correct? I'm really unsure as to whether I should've put two. Or does it make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

finality wrote: »
    I only put in one address - my own address. Is this correct? I'm really unsure as to whether I should've put two. Or does it make a difference?

should have had 2. realistically you are talking about a mark or two difference so means **** all

• Advertisement
Advertisement