Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding Swordtails

Options
  • 05-06-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I have a tropical aquarium with a silver molly, 4 zebra danios, 2 golden widow tetra and 3 swordtails. 2 of the swordtails are female and the other one is male. The swordtails have been in the tank for about 13 months now and I really want them to breed. I set up a fry trap (using a bottle and some bait) and a nursery I bought. Now the females both had gravid spots for quite a while now and no babies, but I really want some new swordtails. Is there a way of knowing if the swordtails are pregnant and how long they are to go until birth?
    Thanks, Ronan:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

do you have a reasonably dense planted area? If your water quality is good and the fish are healthy its likely that they are spawning and having babies but the babies are being eaten. I personally prefer dense plants to traps

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ronanmurphy98

Yes, my pH is 7.2 and ammonia is zero so I suppose the water is fine. My aquarium is also medium planted, all artificial though. Could an ornament be used as a place for hiding, I also have alot of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

are you positive you have a male and female swordtail?

mine where in the tank a few weeks and they bred

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ronanmurphy98

Definitely, the males have a sword on the back, while the females don't, so I have one male and two females.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

Definitely, the males have a sword on the back, while the females don't, so I have one male and two females.:D

they are liver bearers , maybe another fish it eating the babies?

• Advertisement
Advertisement