Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noticed something, and it's helping

Options
  • 05-06-2012 2:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello,

Been stammering and blocking mostly, since I was 5. I was reading about the valsalva hypothesis. It explains about vowel sounds being the real block and not the consanant sounds. For example P-p-p-peter. Most people would think the P sound is the problem, but it's not because it was repeated 3 times. What's holding one back is the vowel sound 'ee' which follows. The key, and I've been using this to a lot of success is putting little effort into the vowel sounds that follows, and I've notived quite an increase in fluency, even if it's choppy. Blocking hardly ever happens anymore. I just slur over the vowel sounds now and I don't block.

Blocking is the worst part of stammering, I don't mind slightly slurred speech as long as I don't block!

Advertisement