Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic distribution boards

Options
  • 05-06-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I qualified years ago in electrical engineering, but have always operated in the marine and industrial fields. In my house I changed the distribution board from the old ceramic fuses to MCBs with RCD protection when I bought the house twenty years ago. However, I didn't replace the dis board in which I now need to add a couple of circuits, and it is badly cramped.

The existing board has an incoming MCB and a 90 Amp ceramic fuse that is a pain in the a**e for the space it takes. I am not familiar with Irish domestic wiring regs, so my question is do I have to retain that thumping great fuse or is the incoming MCB sufficient?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ART6 wrote: »
    I qualified years ago in electrical engineering, but have always operated in the marine and industrial fields. In my house I changed the distribution board from the old ceramic fuses to MCBs with RCD protection when I bought the house twenty years ago. However, I didn't replace the dis board in which I now need to add a couple of circuits, and it is badly cramped.

The existing board has an incoming MCB and a 90 Amp ceramic fuse that is a pain in the a**e for the space it takes. I am not familiar with Irish domestic wiring regs, so my question is do I have to retain that thumping great fuse or is the incoming MCB sufficient?

A photo of the setup would help for anyone giving advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

You can replace the main mcb and fuse for a neozed switched fuse,
    they are about one and a half times as wide as a mcb so you might be able to free up atleast 2 more spaces depending on what way your board is.
    http://www.meteorelectrical.com/consumer-units_ge-63amp-s-p-neozed-switch-fuse.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

paddymick wrote: »
    You can replace the main mcb and fuse for a neozed switched fuse,
    they are about one and a half times as wide as a mcb so you might be able to free up atleast 2 more spaces depending on what way your board is.
    http://www.meteorelectrical.com/consumer-units_ge-63amp-s-p-neozed-switch-fuse.html

thats gas
    same link ,same time
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

meercat wrote: »
    thats gas
    same link ,same time
    :D
    "Great minds" as they say:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Thanks folks!