Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI summer talk/transfers/rumours 2012.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'd believe it was honest mistake but where do you draw the line?
    As far as I know players are given information by the PFAI before the season starts. If Grimsey was going to use a new type of supplement he should have run it past the club doctor first. He's actually a decent lad so hopefully he gets cleared but this should be a case the PFAI should highlight to their members to ward of the dangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There is no way he should be cleared. Nobody can prove either way whether he knew, which is why the rule about ignorance is in place. Everyone who tests positive is going to claim they didnt know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »
    There is no way he should be cleared. Nobody can prove either way whether he knew, which is why the rule about ignorance is in place. Everyone who tests positive is going to claim they didnt know.

Ya im afraid this is correct. He will get some sort of a ban without doubt.

Drugheada United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Bit dramatic all this talk of bannings and ignorance etc. Without knowing the full story it's hard to really judge him. Some of banned substances are in antibiotics that may be needed to treat a normal condition.

For example he could have had a build up of XYZ in his liver, went to his doctor who said he needs to take the banned drug or the problem could get serious.

Im not saying this is the case, but I wouldnt be so quick to judge the poor lad.

I just love how the FAI have a rule for ignorance not being an excuse, I hope they see the irony in it. I just wish common sense was also a rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

On Tuesday 26 June, the PFAI were contacted by Shane Grimes of Drogheda United Football Club. He met with the Stephen McGuinness, General Secretary, and Stuart Gilhooly for the first time this morning, 28 June, and explained the circumstances surrounding an allegation of doping in a recent match against Bohemians. As the matter has yet to be determined by the Irish Sports Council, there is little that can be said at this juncture but Shane wishes to clarify his position as much as possible.

He took an energy supplement known as Jack3d which unknown to him contained a banned stimulant called methylhexaneamine otherwise known as MHA. He believed he was consuming an energy drink and is both shocked and dismayed to find that it contains a banned substance.

He has today written to the Irish Sports Council admitting the offence but will be relying on the provisions of Article 10.3.1 of the Irish Doping rules which allows a player to adduce evidence that he did not intend to enhance sporting performance.

Shane is a player with a flawless record and is distraught to find himself in this position. It is not appropriate to make any further comment at this point except to say that he will take whatever steps are necessary to prove his integrity in this matter.

The Irish Sports Council hearing will take place on 17 July. No further comment will be made by Shane Grimes or his PFAI representatives until this matter has concluded.

END

Seriously how stupid is this Gilhooly lad? he just explained the entire thing in detail then says its inappropiate to say anything further.

I cant believe hes a real solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Ebbs wrote: »
    Bit dramatic all this talk of bannings and ignorance etc. Without knowing the full story it's hard to really judge him. Some of banned substances are in antibiotics that may be needed to treat a normal condition.

For example he could have had a build up of XYZ in his liver, went to his doctor who said he needs to take the banned drug or the problem could get serious.

Im not saying this is the case, but I wouldnt be so quick to judge the poor lad.

I just love how the FAI have a rule for ignorance not being an excuse, I hope they see the irony in it. I just wish common sense was also a rule.

There's no banned substances in anti biotics. If you have to be prescribed any medication for an ailment that is on the banned list, you can declare that fact to your federation.
    The FAI don't make the rules in these cases. The rules are set out by the Irish Sports Council in conjunction with WADA. FIFA are signed up to this.
    I've no sympathy for him in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Updated statement from Dundalk, looking grim for them.

This is an update from the board of Dundalk FC in regards to the severity of the financial position we currently find ourselves in.

As the public are aware 5 weeks have now passed since we announced that we were unable to pay the players for one week of their wages at Dundalk FC. We did stress back at this time that Dundalk FC was in severe financial difficulties.

It was also made clear at this time that anybody expressing an interest in regards to taking over Dundalk FC or who could be in a position to make a substantial contribution to help the club should contact the board directly. Today the club will meet with representatives of the DFC Trust for an exploratory discussion on a potential takeover. Apart from the Trust, we are very disappointed that no one, either directly or indirectly, has contacted us in this regard particularly when we are in a position when we need them most.

People must be made aware that should the club not be in a position to pay another week’s wages to the players, resulting in a total of two weeks wages in arrears, that these players have the right to seek employment with other clubs. This undoubtedly may trigger our top players to leave voluntarily or other clubs knowing this situation will contact our top players with a view to taking them on with immediate effect. We have clear indications the latter will happen. If any group or individual wants to sponsor any particular player’s salary to the end of the season, this option is available and we can sit down and agree with the group/individual how this can be done.

Since these financial situations have arisen we have initiated a number of fundraising programmes to generate money. Our Honorary Vice President and Supporter Donations programmes and letters have been sent out to over 700 people. To date 19 Supporters have donated €3,450 and the Honorary Vice President have taken in €2,500. The Board wish to acknowledge these receipts and are very appreciative to these people and other people who continue to contribute to the running of the club. However the reality is that if more people do not contribute we will be undoubtedly be fighting a relegation battle, or worse case, go out of existence.

To give an example of how the financial difficulties have arisen we have outlined the following example;

2011 – Season Tickets & Net Gate Receipts after 11 League games = €157K

2012 – Season Tickets & Net Gate Receipts after 11 League games = €87K

This is a difference of €70K year on year and does not include lost Merchandising Sales, Bar Income, Lotto Sales, Match Programmes Sales, and other match night revenue sales which are affected by reduced attendances and people coming to games. It also does not include any Setanta Cup gate receipt money and only compares league games.

This example is only one of a number we could pick from where actual revenues are significantly below budget figures…..match sponsorship, pitch signs, lotto sales, pitch rental, to name a few are amongst others.

In all of these matters we are continuing to work with the FAI in regards to the financial troubles and status of Dundalk FC and we will continue to keep them informed of any and all matters arising.

Again we would appeal to the supporters and people of Dundalk that this is a very serious situation and to contact the board directly if you feel you or a group are in a position to take over the club or make a substantial financial contribution.

Yours in Sport,

Board of Dundalk FC

Source :- http://www.dundalkfc.com/statement-from-board-of-dundalk-fc

Could any Dundalk fan confirm they are paying 7k a week in wages? if thats true no sympathy for them, thats bohs and mons wages combined. And more than ours!

Dunno why they worried about clubs stealing players, should they not be hoping for that to reduce their outgoings?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No more speculation on the Shane Grimes case on the details or outcome before the Irish Sports Council hearing. Warnings/infractions will be handed out from now on.

• Advertisement

Strangely I'd miss Dundalk. Great town to visit on matchday, you can feel the burning desire to beat Rovers more than most places :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

dfx- wrote: »
    Strangely I'd miss Dundalk. Great town to visit on matchday

Jaysus. :eek:

Strangely I'd miss Dundalk. Great town to visit on matchday, you can feel the burning desire to beat Rovers more than most places :)

I remember we played them about 10 years ago in a friendly in Tolka park, I was shocked that despite them being in the first division, they brought a bigger crowd than nearly any other side.

Not a fan of away trips there due to horrible stadium, but I really like playing against them, hope they pull through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dundalk is a good football town, but gimme the away section in Drogheda any day of the week over a trip to Oriel.

Mad, mad money for the squad they have. :rolleyes:

Anto Flood confirmed Pats player.

Available to play vs Rovers next week.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anto Flood confirmed Pats player.

Available to play vs Rovers next week.
    Guessing Kelly isn't joining us now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Is it true that Jansson is going back to Spurs and only had a 6 month loan deal? I assume Shams will bring in another keeper.

Ryan Thompson again maybe? Still without a club AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Is it true that Jansson is going back to Spurs and only had a 6 month loan deal? I assume Shams will bring in another keeper.

It just gets better and better!

Guessing Kelly isn't joining us now?

If he is it will be on loan, seemingly 3 club rule may be an issue. Believe him and Bucko made up. Started 1st game in a while last night.

I thought they did a deal where you sign one **** keeper and get another free. reckon they will sign Cherrie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Cherrie is a good shout too, almost guaranteed to go there if released by Dundalk.
    BOHtox wrote: »
    It just gets better and better!

Thompson was not too bad imo. Bit shaky when it came to set pieces but he made some fantastic saves. One out in Denmark that I remember and an outstanding one in Serbia which was one of the best I've seen in a while.

Bit more time and he would have cemented the No 1 spot for them I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Cherrie is a good shout too, almost guaranteed to go there if released by Dundalk.

Thompson was not too bad imo. Bit shaky when it came to set pieces but he made some fantastic saves. One out in Denmark that I remember and an outstanding one in Serbia which was one of the best I've seen in a while.

Bit more time and he would have cemented the No 1 spot for them I think.

Bit of a headcase though, Thompson and Murray squaring up in Dalymount was hilarious.

Bayly possibly signing for us.

Should increase the card count.

Worst midfielder I've seen at Bohs since the invisible man Mark O'Brien. Likes kicking the ball up in the air for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Shit attitude although an OK player when he bothered which was very rarely.

Isn't he one of Deano's drinking buddies? Bucko will have his hands full. :pac:

bohsman wrote: »
    Worst midfielder I've seen at Bohs since the invisible man Mark O'Brien. Likes kicking the ball up in the air for no reason.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Shit attitude although an OK player when he bothered which was very rarely.

Isn't he one of Deano's drinking buddies? Bucko will have his hands full. :pac:

Tbh looking at most of Buckos signings they were head scratchers, seems to know who and what hes getting (Kelly being the exception) but that was more by chance than anything.

• Advertisement

Think he was on the way out anyway but what really cooked his goose with MON was getting sent off for spitting in a title run-in game and then going for some of the supporters who were giving him grief.

Think he was on the way out anyway but what really cooked his goose with MON was getting sent off for spitting in a title run-in game and then going for some of the supporters who were giving him grief.

Yeah reckon the card count will increase.

Not hearing any rumours of you lot signing anyone only Cherrie?

bit strange or they coming from abroad?

Not hearing any rumours of you lot signing anyone only Cherrie?

Heard two more but.....omerta. :pac:

Pretty obvious we need a centre-half, goalkeeper and cover on the right. And to clear out some deadwood posers.

I would be surprised and irritated if Gilbert or Gartland ever start again. Sullivan and Gannon are back now so Gilbert is finished.

Heard two more but.....omerta. :pac:

Pretty obvious we need a centre-half, goalkeeper and cover on the right. And to clear out some deadwood posers.

I would be surprised and irritated if Gilbert or Gartland ever start again. Sullivan and Gannon are back now so Gilbert is finished.

Shouldnt have signed certain players before you had a manager. Said it then and still true, regardless of what Rovers fans think of Kenny he inherited certain players with huge deals and has to deal with it.

Kenny got a bum deal in some ways. He didn't have much to choose from in the market when he came in. MON thing dragged ion too long and he had a few very good players lined up that went to other clubs as the saga/ Europa league run dragged on. Players that are doing very well at both our title rivals now

That's not to excuse Kenny in a general way of course.

• Advertisement

Dont think kenny is a bad manager but could end out wrong man wrong club wrong time.

Suppose we see if your board backs him. I am winding one of your fans up something terrible on FB about this. I nearly made him cry earlier :D

Dont think kenny is a bad manager but could end out wrong man wrong club wrong time.

No matter how good a manager is, sometimes things reach a point where it's untenable.

That said, there are a few players that should be fucked out too.

No matter how good a manager is, sometimes things reach a point where it's untenable.

That said, there are a few players that should be fucked out too.

Therein lies the problem, you gave them contracts before you had the manager. See if you sign big during the window if not reckon hes gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

But who would replace Kenny if you's got rid of him??

Honestly I think the position is untenable. I don't see how anyone can recover from the results this season, but also the manner of the goals conceded and that his signings have been largely at fault. The second and fourth goals last night beggar belief.

That's not to say other league winning players have contributed as well.

Honestly I think the position is untenable. I don't see how anyone can recover from the results this season, but also the manner of the goals conceded and that his signings have been largely at fault. The second and fourth goals last night beggar belief.

Who are his signings and who arent?

When did he get time to coach the players?

the mans a winner.....just not right now.

think your problems are fan inflicted.

Is it true that he is on a 3 year contract? Surely paying him off, getting a new manager and some new players in would be massively expensive?

the mans a winner.....just not right now.

think your problems are fan inflicted.

I actually agree but no manager in the country would probably survive going from the season we had last year to the showing so far this season. Even if it is Hero-poser syndrome with large parts of the team.

The problem is clearly at the back: We lost probably the best goalkeeper, left full and right full in the league this season and the best centre-half if you want to include Sives dip in form but Kenny has to stand or fall with that,

Getting rid of Kenny halfway into his first season would really be very ****ty and typify everything that's wrong with modern football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Could any Dundalk fan confirm they are paying 7k a week in wages?

€6300

Should have spent it on beer and strippers at least we would get some enjoyment out of the money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Kind of off-topic, but was talking to a chap from Turkey, who said he followed Drogheda United, and apparently there is a back story to it:

http://www.yursil.com/blog/2007/11/ottoman-aid-to-the-irish/

The Drogs football crest has a similar crescent moon that a lot of Muslim countries have on their flags, like Turkey, Algeria, Tunisa to name a few.

doncarlos wrote: »
    €6300

Should have spent it on beer and strippers at least we would get some enjoyment out of the money.

jaysis thats some amount of money. Explains why certain players chose you over us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Tadhy Purcell heading back to England to find a club.

We got to see a good player. Pity it took 2 months for him to get fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

doncarlos wrote: »
    €6300

that is insane money especially considering the players you have playing for you,your board really ****ed up big time.

Who are his signings and who arent?

When did he get time to coach the players?

There's youth players better than Gartland and Gilbert. Gannon and Brannigan have been at worst 'solid' in any game they've played, especially Gannon. Pieterse was very good on Tuesday night in his decision making. Arguably Memery has been better than Powell. That he still picks Gartland and Gilbert means he must exist in some other realm.

If he keeps doing it, I can't see him being let do it for long.

Getting rid of Kenny halfway into his first season would really be very ****ty and typify everything that's wrong with modern football.

Kenny wont be sacked this season. Our EGM is coming up soon though, so we'll see how that goes but I would be very sure he still wont be sacked.
    There's youth players better than Gartland and Gilbert. Gannon and Brannigan have been at worst 'solid' in any game they've played, especially Gannon. Pieterse was very good on Tuesday night in his decision making. Arguably Memery has been better than Powell. That he still picks Gartland and Gilbert means he must exist in some other realm.

If he keeps doing it, I can't see him being let do it for long.

Gannon has been great but ive seen him as a doubt on a few different games, maybe a niggle.

Kenny said Pieterse was the best keeper he seen at this level ever. From all the games ive seen, I would rather any other keeper we've had in the MON era. Couldnt disagree more with Powell though, only consistent player imo.

I think the biggest problem is not players playing poor under Kenny, but what I dont like is the lack of bite and determination. We are not being beaten by teams better than us but by teams who want it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's Bohs weekly wage bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Sacked by Rovers, yeah?

Squelchy wrote: »
    Sacked by Rovers, yeah?
    Where are you getting this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Where are you getting this?

Ger Gilroy, then MNS tweeted about it. You know Twitter though... nothing confirmed yet.

Advertisement