Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starbucks asks us are we proud to be British?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Anyone who thinks that slop they serve in Starbucks is good coffee is probably too thick to know the difference between Irish and British anyway.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Na na na na na na na na na Leader!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that slop they serve in Starbucks is good coffee is probably too thick to know the difference between Irish and British anyway.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LA-DI-DA

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Got a latte in there yesterday, think they forgot to add the coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some of the reaction to this is hilarious. People seem to be genuinely offended by it. Fcukin' idiots. It was a simple and genuine mistake like.

No bother handing sovereignty away to outside influences but a coffee shop accidentally referring to us as British.. well that's the final straw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

We're not British? :confused:

*Sips on a starbucks mocha frappuccino*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Time to show them our Irishness!!

*sets fire to potato and lobs it through Starbucks window*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Some of the reaction to this is hilarious. People seem to be genuinely offended by it. Fcukin' idiots. It was a simple and genuine mistake like.

No bother handing sovereignty away to outside influences but a coffee shop accidentally referring to us as British.. well that's the final straw!

Yes, forgetting what countries constitute Britain the day after the jubilee celebrations, Easily done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Their hot chocolate is yummilicious though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We are Europeans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Starbucks Ireland ‏@StarbucksIE
    Happy hour is on! Show us what makes you proud to be British for a chance to win. Don't forget to tag #MyFrappuccino http://bit.ly/JlXOcu
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/starbucksie

They still haven't deleted it, or posted an embarrased apology.

Stupid Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

davet82 wrote: »

no we are german now :rolleyes:

Heil Merkel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I dont see what the big deal is, there are plenty of British living in Ireland who are proud to be British!

Maybe they're asking those people to enter the competition and were restricted by the 140 character limit :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Father Ted writer Graham Linehans' tweet:
    you are clueless pricks and your coffee tastes like baby formula.
    :D

(i cant believe i got POTD for this shit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

davet82 wrote: »

Where is ze Jews?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ich glaube nicht!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Skid wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/#!/starbucksie

They still haven't deleted it, or posted an embarrased apology.

Stupid Starbucks.

i think they're pretty smart tbh..

I'm murder a nice tall foamy starbucks latte coffee now come to think of it... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I can only assume the guy who writes the tweets is American or something. either that or somebody is a hilarious troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

as a british person living in ireland I don't see what the big deal about the tweet is, it hasn't offended me in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

BOYCOTT STARBUCKS!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Where is ze Jews?

out pickin the spuds in the top field.... Merkel needs her bailout money back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

crazyderk wrote: »
    I dont see what the big deal is, there are plenty of British living in Ireland who are proud to be British!

Maybe they're asking those people to enter the competition and were restricted by the 140 character limit :p

ye good man:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We should all tweet Starbucks and offer our condolences over the death of US President Bin Laden in a hunting accident in Pakistan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LOL

I like the Time's sarcastic bit at the end...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0605/breaking30.html
    Starbucks has 17 stores in the Republic. According to its latest figures, Starbucks has turned around the fortunes of its Irish business, making a profit of €490,000 in the year to October 2011, compared with a loss of €3.3 million the previous year.

However, given its marketing failure profits may be down somewhat in the future.

Meow! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

News just in, Starbucks in Palestine have just posted this tweet...
    Starbucks Palestine ‏@Starbucks
    Happy hour is on! Show us what makes you proud to be Jewish for a chance to win. Don't forget to tag #MyFrappuccino http://bit.ly/JlXOcu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

jc84 wrote: »
    as a british person living in ireland I don't see what the big deal about the tweet is, it hasn't offended me in the slightest

Yeah, asking British people what makes them proud to be British isn't generally considered offensive so I can see why you mightn't be too put out.
    However, the problem here is they ask Irish people what makes them proud to be British, not what do you think the British should be proud of, or what do you like about Britain but what makes to you proud to be British. And given the stupidity of the question as well as the history of the two nations I think it's perfectly reasonable for some people to be mildly offended. Not necessarily because there's anything wrong with being British (because there isn't) but because flagrant ignorance is inherantly discourteous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Would there be such an uproar in the UK if; on St. Patrick's Day, some company tweeted about showing your Irish pride? It certainly wouldn't make the national news! And I doubt too many people would react in such a bitchy way to it.

I'm surprised that such things still draw out such insular attitudes from some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

They do a mean frappacino :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The next stage in the marketing strategy will be the launch of the Blackandtanacchino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.....as long as the company you work for provides a kettle and water, I fail to see the need to fork out for a starbucks coffee. Yet every day, they'd arrive in with their coffees....then complain how they'd no money....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

KeithM89 wrote: »

Fuckin' hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

heh heh, stupid Canadians

I just think its funny.
    Someone in Starbucks got a poor grade on their geography exam at some stage - but its no reason to get heated up about.
    ....Unlike their coffee! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    They do a mean frappacino :D

They use very little coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Would there be such an uproar in the UK if; on St. Patrick's Day, some company tweeted about showing your Irish pride? It certainly wouldn't make the national news! And I doubt too many people would react in such a bitchy way to it.

Dunno, probably not. But then again, the history is different in that context and since Britain is a much larger and more well known country people would be more likely to read that as sort of a 'get into the spirit of Paddy's day' thing than a 'we're not sure if you're a real country or just another Scotland' thing. So it's kind of a mute point you're raising there.

Also, so far we've got one thread on boards which is receiving a lot less attention than the one on spooning and we've got one, not very well written newspaper article (although admittedly there might be one or two others floating about). I'd call that a passing commentary rather than a national uproar. No need to get upset or start calling people 'insular' URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

To be honest the most upset person on the thread seems to be you. Do you not like being reminded that Ireland is a free nation or something?

And just to forestall the inevitable gave-away-sovrennity onanism, when you see foreign tanks rolling down Grafton street, that's when our sovereignty is in trouble. Until such time we are quite capable of telling the EU and whoever else to go to hell if it suits us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Nodin wrote: »
    .....as long as the company you work for provides a kettle and water, I fail to see the need to fork out for a starbucks coffee. Yet every day, they'd arrive in with their coffees....then complain how they'd no money....

I lived the US for a while, I estimate I spent $1,500 a year on starbucks ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Yeah, asking British people what makes them proud to be British isn't generally considered offensive so I can see why you mightn't be too put out.
    However, the problem here is they ask Irish people what makes them proud to be British, not what do you think the British should be proud of, or what do you like about Britain but what makes to you proud to be British. And given the stupidity of the question as well as the history of the two nations I think it's perfectly reasonable for some people to be mildly offended. Not necessarily because there's anything wrong with being British (because there isn't) but because flagrant ignorance is inherantly discourteous.

Your sarcasm detector appears to be switched off.

Heil Merkel

Ist das nicht die Wahrheit! ...Und wir werden dafür bezahlen, um sicher zu sein!

Ich denke, wir alle sollten anfangen Deutsch zu sprechen jetzt! Holen Sie sich in der Praxis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

massive companies like starbucks don't give a **** about nationalism, they will be the coffee supplier in a new one world government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    Got a latte in there yesterday, think they forgot to add the coffee.

Well in fairness a latte is pretty much just warm milk at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Not a valid comparison. Try asking the residents of Gibraltar how it feels to be Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

KeithM89 wrote: »

What a muppet.

Bet he drinks Starbucks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

We should get the Brits in on this too. I'm certain they don't want us back. They've got a good thing going with us: we gave them Dara O'Briain, Graham Norton and Graham Linehan and we get to watch them on channels that aren't as bad as RTE or TV3. Together we can all give out about terrible American coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I find it more offensive that Ireland has been taken over by all these American fast food places than anything.

We should get the Brits in on this too. I'm certain they don't want us back. We can all give out about terrible American coffee.

they'll want us back when we discover oil, oh yes. feckers

I find it more offensive that Ireland has been taken over by all these American fast food places than anything.

I find it annoying that american diners haven't caught on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I lived the US for a while, I estimate I spent $1,500 a year on starbucks ****e.

On the way to work every morning? Very odd.

I can understand people out on a weekend or in their spare time, or stuck in some kettle-barren hell hole of a job, but otherwise it always struck me as an inordinate expense to have daily. Worse than the bought lunch as opposed to the pre-prepared.

(These people were on minimum wage or just over I should add. If you're rolling in it, its obviously no odds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Giving Starbucks the publicity they want ITT

• Advertisement
Advertisement