Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starbucks asks us are we proud to be British?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Nodin wrote: »
    On the way to work every morning? Very odd.

I can understand people out on a weekend or in their spare time, or stuck in some kettle-barren hell hole of a job, but otherwise it always struck me as an inordinate expense to have daily. Worse than the bought lunch as opposed to the pre-prepared.

(These people were on minimum wage or just over I should add. If you're rolling in it, its obviously no odds).

Yeah, I stopped when I worked out the cost. There was a starbucks just beside work, so I had one on the way to work - which did work to pep me up, and I generally had one when leaving. Thats about five dollars a day, twenty five a week, and I drank coffee at weekend. And sometimes at lunch. Adds up.

mostly I had a latte. in general it was better than the muck served at work, and over there I lived on coffee - which was new as I don't, and didn't, over here.

Anyway, I don't claim to be a coffee snob, their stuff was ok, the expense over time was ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Skid wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/#!/starbucksie

They still haven't deleted it, or posted an embarrased apology.

Stupid Starbucks.

Fact it is still up tells me they are just looking for attention, Ya know the saying, No news is bad news.
    KCocks though it must be said.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Not a valid comparison. Try asking the residents of Gibraltar how it feels to be Spanish.
    yes but the british are not claiming the republic as theirs,this is only a stupid north american coffee company who has made a big cock up,i doubt that the head office even knows where ireland is,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not a valid comparison. Try asking the residents of Gibraltar how it feels to be Spanish.

It is comparable. Have we not shaken off that old siege mentality?

If the tweet was in reference to French or Polish people showing their pride on some nationalistic day of theirs then there wouldn't be a peep about it. The only reason this is being remarked upon at all is because of the whole British thing. I just think it's a tad reactionary like. Celebs and media condemning what is an innocent enough, if ignorant mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I can understand people out on a weekend or in their spare time, or stuck in some kettle-barren hell hole of a job, but otherwise it always struck me as an inordinate expense to have daily. Worse than the bought lunch as opposed to the pre-prepared.

(These people were on minimum wage or just over I should add. If you're rolling in it, its obviously no odds).

For me, if I'm in work I'm going to work, even if I'm early. Standing around the kitchen supping tea isn't going to cut it. There's not enough people around at that time to chat to. And sometimes I wouldn't want to chat to anyone. Instead I'll have a quiet tea or coffee in a café nearby, and look at the internet on my phone (boards really needs a better mobile option.) Same goes for lunch really. I just don't want to be in the office for that time, I need to get out and get some rest amidst the big bad world.

I don't get why people buy coffees to go and then take them into work. Instant coffee will do me fine, and if you're a big coffee aficionado then you should already know there's loads of options for making single cups of decent stuff in the office kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....for various reasons I'd have 4-6 by 12 in the day during work. None at home on the weekend though, or at least very rarely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Seriously - half the Americans think we have leprechauns running about.
    You can't expect them to understand something like this.
    Leave them be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Biggins wrote: »
    Ist das nicht die Wahrheit! ...Und wir werden dafür bezahlen, um sicher zu sein!

Ich denke, wir alle sollten anfangen Deutsch zu sprechen jetzt! Holen Sie sich in der Praxis?

sicher, warum nicht mein Freund, würdest du für eine Wurst und ein Bier kümmern?
    sure why not my friend, would you care for a sausage and a beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Father Ted writer Graham Linehans' tweet:
    you are clueless pricks and your coffee tastes like baby formula.
    :D

From the man who made his name by selling Irish stereotypes to channel 4.

Ah go on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was watching the TV a while back and saw an advert of Graham Norton talking to the camera with the Union Jack behind him all the while saying "We can win it!!" in reference to the UK winning Eurovision.

I certainly won't be buying his coffee again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

rabble rabble rabble rabble!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

kettle lover!!;)
    cowzerp wrote: »
    Fact it is still up tells me they are just looking for attention, Ya know the saying, No news is bad news.
    KCocks though it must be said.

ye it sounds a bit like the time currys i think it was had a campaign involving the union jack in green white and orange, seriously, the brits couldnt be that stupid could they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Couldn't care less if a company I've never had any dealings with made a mistake, which is actually quite common, as we're not as important as we like to think we are. Nor do I particularly care if I'm considered British if it's from ignorance, seeing as I amn't.

We're very touchy about this stuff....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

kettle lover!!;)?

Shiny beacon of civilisation, provider of hot water for tay and coffee. Its what seperates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

sicher, warum nicht mein Freund, würdest du für eine Wurst und ein Bier kümmern?

...Mit einem guten deutschen Bier zum runterspülen natürlich!
    Heil Merkel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Heres the responses to it on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23MyFrappuccino

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

Some of the reaction to this is hilarious. People seem to be genuinely offended by it. Fcukin' idiots. It was a simple and genuine mistake like.

No bother handing sovereignty away to outside influences but a coffee shop accidentally referring to us as British.. well that's the final straw!

A simple mistake? I think you mean a mistake made by someone simple. Someone in marketing obviously thought this was a good idea. Perhaps they should have read a book or looked at a map?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

to answer the OPs question

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Heres the responses to it on Twitter:

All I get is a search engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Mit einem guten deutschen Bier zum runterspülen natürlich!
    Heil Merkel!

Ok, so bringen Sie das Sauerkraut und Apfelstrudel und machen es zu einem richtigen Mahlzeit?

Heil Merkel!
    ok so will you bring the sauerkraut, and apple strudel and make it a proper meal?

• Advertisement

Woops, you have to type in #Myfrappucino into the search bar

Ok, so bringen Sie das Sauerkraut und Apfelstrudel und machen es zu einem richtigen Mahlzeit?

Heil Merkel!
    ok so will you bring the sauerkraut, and apple strudel and make it a proper meal?

Yahole!

Heil Merkel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I don't get why people buy coffees to go and then take them into work. Instant coffee will do me fine, and if you're a big coffee aficionado then you should already know there's loads of options for making single cups of decent stuff in the office kitchen.

Personally I drink coffee for the taste - I don't get the energy from it most do - and instant coffee tastes like ****e. So does Starbucks for that matter. So I just go to independent coffee stores :)

I don't drink instant much in the same way I don't drink ditch water.

How interesting good sir, tell us more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

Why do so many people still go to Starbucks? I hate Starbucks, I have to lock my shed in case they open a branch in there.

Rezident wrote: »
    Why do so many people still go to Starbucks? I hate Starbucks, I have to lock my shed in case they open a branch in there.

Them and McDonald's are currently fighting for the spot! :pac:

Personally I drink coffee for the taste - I don't get the energy from it most do - and instant coffee tastes like ****e. So does Starbucks for that matter. So I just go to independent coffee stores :)

I don't drink instant much in the same way I don't drink ditch water.

I wasn't talking about instant. So I guess I should have said "if you're a big coffee aficionado and don't have money to throw away then you should already know there's loads of options for making single cups of decent stuff in the office kitchen."

Look at some of the options for making single cups coffee in a kitchen here. The Aeropress, Hario thingies and Moka are all supposed to be decent. http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/products/

There's loads more devices for making individual cups of good coffee on other sites as well. Buy one of them, a small hand grinder and some beans on a weekly basis and you'll be saving money in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

They have replied:

We erroneously posted to our Irish Twitter page meaning to post to the UK only. Customers in Ireland: We're sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Where is ze Jews?

Jews, where?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Some of the reaction to this is hilarious. People seem to be genuinely offended by it. Fcukin' idiots. It was a simple and genuine mistake like.

No bother handing sovereignty away to outside influences but a coffee shop accidentally referring to us as British.. well that's the final straw!

Yes, forgetting what countries constitute Britain the day after the jubilee celebrations, Easily done

So what countries constitute Britain, then?

• Advertisement

They have replied:

We erroneously posted to our Irish Twitter page meaning to post to the UK only. Customers in Ireland: We're sorry.

I shall accept their apology on behalf of Ireland and let them know it's alright. There's no need to fire or yell at the poor lad/lass who made the mistake. We all make mistakes, and I'm sure they're really embarrassed about it. And sure we were only having a laugh at your terrible coffee, which isn't really the twitter person's problem.

*hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about instant. So I guess I should have said "if you're a big coffee aficionado and don't have money to throw away then you should already know there's loads of options for making single cups of decent stuff in the office kitchen."

Look at some of the options for making single cups coffee in a kitchen here. The Aeropress, Hario thingies and Moka are all supposed to be decent. http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/products/

There's loads more devices for making individual cups of good coffee on other sites as well. Buy one of them, a small hand grinder and some beans on a weekly basis and you'll be saving money in no time.

To be honest I don't drink coffee so often so i'm happy to go to a good coffee place when I fancy one.
    A couple of friends have those nespresso machines you put the little carton's into - yuck rank.

How interesting good sir, tell us more

***polishes monacle***

I'm not sure I quite care for your tone, sir! Humphf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I stayed on a hacienda in Colombia for a while a good few years ago and the daughter there showed me these crap looking beans while going through the whole process. I asked do you throw them out and she said that normally they would but a market for them exists. It's what the likes of Starbucks, nescafe, etc buy. How they call that stuff coffee is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They have replied:

Too late now, the damage has been done. Hipsters all over Dublin have their keffiyehs in a right old twist.

Class! :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

StarbucksIE Twitter

"We erroneously posted to our Irish Twitter page meaning to post to the UK only. Customers in Ireland: We're sorry."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

They should hand out free fuckupacchinos to Irish customers as compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Social media is making idiots of us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Trolling a country.

Well played starbucks. Well played.

mike65 wrote: »
    Social media is making idiots of us all.

What are ya talking about man?
    I always was one! :o:D

Seems they have now apologised..........only took 4 hours

...And a bit of map checking. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

:rolleyes: Hilarious. Silly starbucks.

I do like people's tweets. Some are funny.

I don't think a lot of people are offended about it My name is URL. It's an amusing error and they deserve to be mocked. Stupids. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

how can they get that wrong what an error and shows how ignorant they are too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

1 hour to realise the mistake 3 hours to figure out a way to apologise without admitting they thought Ireland was part of the UK. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

They've apologised, but left the 'offending' tweet up??? Strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

oh Jayzus get over yourselves.

next time you watch the weather forecast on the BBC make sure to cover your eyes when they do the Irish bit or start up a thread bout them trying to rob our country by giving us our weather forecast

Chinasea wrote: »

next time you watch the weather forecast on the BBC make sure to cover your eyes when they do the Irish bit or start up a thread bout them trying to rob our country by giving us our weather forecast

BBC = British corporation.
    Starbucks = American company?

No one here is giving out about the BBC and their weather, irrelevant.

End of the day, its just a daft slip-up.
    Will be forgotten about tomorrow and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Chinasea wrote: »

Not even remotely relevant.

Anyway, the BBC don't do an Irish weather forecast, unless you're talking
    about Northern Ireland.

My feelings about this incident can be summed up in the following phrase: scarleh for Starbucks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement