Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starbucks asks us are we proud to be British?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Well that's the last time I drink coffee in Starbucks, well it would be if I drank coffee or ever been in a Starbucks. But you know what I mean!

On the other hand, they could never have asked what makes you proud to be Irish. They would be lucky to get a positive answer!

On the other hand has anyone checked their UK Twitter account. Maybe they asked them if they are proud to be American!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

If nothing else it's great fun to give them abuse for the mistake. I don't think anyone is taking it too seriously. Not giving abuse is like trying not to laugh when someone trips and falls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

phasers wrote: »
    Not even remotely relevant.

Anyway, the BBC don't do an Irish weather forecast, unless you're talking
    about Northern Ireland.

My feelings about this incident can be summed up in the following phrase: scarleh for Starbucks.

It actually annoys me that the beeb don't do an Irish forecast on their bulletins - I find them more accurate than the Met Eireann crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Oh Starbucks you so stupid

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Will there be a boycott of Starbucks in Ireland now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Will there be a boycott of Starbucks in Ireland now?

No - and nor should there be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Lyaiera wrote: »
    There's loads more devices for making individual cups of good coffee on other sites as well. Buy one of them, a small hand grinder and some beans on a weekly basis and you'll be saving money in no time.

I'd imagine you'd save money over buying a Starbucks every day, but can't imagine it'd be less expensive than drinking instant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Biggins wrote: »
    No - and nor should there be.
    I already boycott it, cause the coffee sucks

3DataModem wrote: »
    So what countries constitute Britain, then?

England, Wales, Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I wouldn't say I was offended by the tweet, but I do think it shows a bit of ignorance. Kind of like when bands yell "Hello U.K!" or something when they play here. It also amuses me :P

Awkward for Starbucks. Eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Chinasea wrote: »
    oh Jayzus get over yourselves.

next time you watch the weather forecast on the BBC make sure to cover your eyes when they do the Irish bit or start up a thread bout them trying to rob our country by giving us our weather forecast

I mean would it kill them to move a few inches south on the screen and cover Ireland. They don't even stick up the little symbols over the republic let alone talk about it.

Sound for Sky News to give a bit of a weather update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Some are very proud to be british here walking around in their english football jersies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Some are very proud to be british here walking around in their english football jersies.

The worst are the ones who wear Celtic jersey's to Ireland matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Would it have been any more acceptable if it wasn't a mistake? I mean, after all; many British people live here, and plenty have being celebrating their Queen's jubilee over the last few days.. why should a company not send out a tweet like that in Ireland?

If Wetherspoon's put out a tweet on Paddy's Day which said something like 'half price for everyone displaying Irish pride', I doubt there'd be many natives that take issue with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I already boycott it, cause the coffee sucks

Thats reason to avoid it - if the drink is not to your taste.
    (I don't drink their stuff either)
    For some of their previous coffee drinkers, to now start boycotting?
    Naaa, it was a bit of daftness, thats all. We have bigger things to get worked up about.

...Like: "Should Bosco be the next host of the Late, Late Show?"
    (Well the present one is just as wooden and lifeless!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

darragh16 wrote: »
    The worst are the ones who wear Celtic jersey's to Ireland matches

Understand your point but at least there is some connection there. But wearing premiership jersies in Ireland or at Ireland games is brain dead stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Sea Filly wrote: »

Are you not forgetting northern Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Would it have been any more acceptable if it wasn't a mistake? I mean, after all; many British people live here, and plenty have being celebrating their Queen's jubilee over the last few days.. why should a company not send out a tweet like that in Ireland?

If Wetherspoon's put out a tweet on Paddy's Day which said something like 'half price for everyone displaying Irish pride', I doubt there'd be many natives that take issue with it.

Well i assume they have an irish twitter account to adress Irish people so would be pretty pointless if they were to adress every nationality that lives here after one of their national holidays.

They made a stupid mistake, not utterly offensive but still stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

darragh16 wrote: »
    I mean would it kill them to move a few inches south on the screen and cover Ireland. They don't even stick up the little symbols over the republic let alone talk about it.

Sound for Sky News to give a bit of a weather update

OK, I wuz mixing the BBC up with SKY, I was sure they give our weather.

But they give us 12 points every year in the Eurovision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

scwazrh wrote: »

sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Sky shows our weather because we pay for Sky, either in cable or in advertising - which is Irish ads when broadcast here. The BBC is paid for by the British licence holders, so no Irish weather, or indeed weather for Kajikistan.

scwazrh wrote: »

That's part of the UK, not Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Probably a fantastic marketing scam, i wonder how many more people now follow Starbucks who as a result will receive offers / news about their local Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

OK, so now we know they have a twitter account, they exist and make stupid mistales. tomorrow they'll apologize and invite everyone to try their coffee. good and cheap promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Sky shows our weather because we pay for Sky, either in cable or in advertising - which is Irish ads when broadcast here. The BBC is paid for by the British licence holders, so no Irish weather, or indeed weather for Kajikistan.

There is a distinct lack of Irish news on Sky, be it from the North or the Republic. The BBC pay more attention to Ireland than Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bwatson wrote: »
    There is a distinct lack of Irish news on Sky, be it from the North or the Republic. The BBC pay more attention to Ireland than Sky.
    When SKY started off a huge chunk of their viewership was through cable. Dublin probably contained 1/4 of the people who could receive it in both countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

not a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

efb wrote: »
    love the AD!

Still laughing. That has got to be the most unfortunate ad placement ever :pac:

• Should be:

Starbucks asks us if we are proud to be British

Why do so many Irish people have issues with this grammar point?

Jedward and Graham Norton arent sure what all the fuss is about, Craig Doyle wants to flog them some conservatory windows...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and Cornwall

and Berwick upon Tweed - technically not independent at the moment, but respect 'cos they were at war with Russia/Soviet Union for 113 years and didn't loose
    Under the Treaty of Perpetual Peace between Henry VII of England and James IV of Scotland in 1502 (just 11 years before the Scottish army and nobility was destroyed by the English at the Battle of Flodden) Berwick Upon Tweed was given a special status as being "of" the Kingdom of England but not "in" it. As a result the town thereafter needed special mention in royal proclamations.

This had one odd effect. When Queen Victoria signed the declaration of war on Russia in 1853, she did so in the name of "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and the British Dominions beyond the sea." But Berwick was not mentioned in the Treaty of Paris that concluded the Crimean War in 1856, leaving the town technically still at war with Russia.

A peace treaty was only finally signed by a Russian diplomat and the the Mayor of Berwick in 1966. As the mayor said at the time: "You can tell the Russian people that they can now sleep peacefully in their beds".

Nodin wrote: »
    .....as long as the company you work for provides a kettle and water, I fail to see the need to fork out for a starbucks coffee. Yet every day, they'd arrive in with their coffees....then complain how they'd no money....

When surveys are done about disposable income I always wonder if people include the grand or two they spend every year on coffee.

Nodin wrote: »
    Its what seperates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.
    No that would be the Liffey.

Seriously - half the Americans think we have leprechauns running about.
    It's pronounced leprecian

and Cornwall

and Berwick upon Tweed - technically not independent at the moment, but respect 'cos they were at war with Russia/Soviet Union for 113 years and didn't loose

Cornwall's not a separate country. I know some crackpots from the county wish it were, but as of now, it's not. It might as well be though, it tends to be a bit neglected and forgotten about. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Father Ted writer Graham Linehans' tweet:

:D

(i cant believe i got POTD for this shit)

why so suprised? It's rare anyone gets POTD for something original lately :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I just went on twitter to see what the latest twittererers were saying. Someone just posted this...
    yesterday when @starbucksIE posted their faux pas they had 887 followers and now have 2005. No such thing as bad publicity it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

They have my number (dual citizenship)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Father Ted writer Graham Linehans' tweet:

:D

(i cant believe i got POTD for this shit)

Quiet day in YLYL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Alls well that ends well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Jester252 wrote: »
    Alls well that ends well
    lets all have go and have a coffee down at s........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

To err is human to forgive devine.

I quite like their coffee beans, grind them up and drink it at home quite often - rarely drink in the shops though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Anyone who says their coffee is bad are morons IMO. It's quite nice. Worst coffee in Ireland is Insomnia IMO ffs.

Cornwall's not a separate country. I know some crackpots from the county wish it were, but as of now, it's not.
    as of now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Anyone who says their coffee is bad are morons IMO. It's quite nice. Worst coffee in Ireland is Insomnia IMO ffs.

No you're a towel.

If you think Starbucks is good coffee - you've never had good coffee. Smaller coffee houses much better (i.e. not a chain like insomnia)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Thats true about Insomnia always tastes burnt to me.

Advertisement