Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starbucks asks us are we proud to be British?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Their hot chocolate is yummilicious though :)

Not a patch on Tim Hortons hot chocolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

scwazrh wrote: »
    Are you not forgetting northern Ireland ?

Duh Northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

It is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Not a patch on Tim Hortons hot chocolate

Ohhh I haven't tried it.
    Will do so asap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

efb wrote: »

That photo was proven to have been photoshopped by the anti Irish nationalist/republican media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

I was in Starbucks for the first time on Monday,i had a cappuccino and it actually wasnt bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

IrishAm wrote: »
    That photo was proven to have been photoshopped by the anti Irish nationalist/republican media.

Seems to be true.. at least according to this - http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=2b2ed42d3b0c7fc35421d049e6768d2a583a9df4.11495

You can see where the text on the placard has been tampered with. The white splodges indicate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

No you're a towel.

If you think Starbucks is good coffee - you've never had good coffee. Smaller coffee houses much better (i.e. not a chain like insomnia)

Some small coffee places have better coffee.

But the only chain I'd say that has better coffee than Starbucks is Costa. Insomnia is muck....

FYI, best coffee in Dublin is at the Bald Barista on Aungiers Street

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think this says less about Starbucks cluelessness and more about the huge chip on their shoulders many Irish people have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

I think this says less about Starbucks cluelessness and more about the huge chip on their shoulders many Irish people have.

Yeah, I hate being called British. I'm Irish and proud to be. It's not too much to ask to be refered to correctly. I'm sure Canadians hate being mistaken for Americans, Kewis for Aussies, Dutch for Germans, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

its strange that,we hate the mention of being british,but for most its the first place we go to live and work,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

getz wrote: »
    its strange that,we hate the mention of being british,but for most its the first place we go to live and work,

so if an irish person goes to live/work in britain that makes him british:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

They made a mistake it's no big deal . If they had a sign up in their shops saying no Irish then I would get mad . But this is just some youngfellow who fcuked up IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Seems to be true.. at least according to this - http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=2b2ed42d3b0c7fc35421d049e6768d2a583a9df4.11495

You can see where the text on the placard has been tampered with. The white splodges indicate it.

Maybe maybe not but I do remember having a few pints in the Belvedere hotel before either the French or English game at Croke park and saw first hand a protester against "foreign sports" wearing a Celtic jersey.

Really positive thing was there can only have been about a dozen of them, they tried initially to integrate themselves with another protest (something to do with China / Tibet or along those lines) at the Garden of Remembrance to make their numbers look bigger. Then a sorry few stragglers made their way up Gardiner Place towrds Croker to howls of derision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

No you're a towel.

If you think Starbucks is good coffee - you've never had good coffee. Smaller coffee houses much better (i.e. not a chain like insomnia)

The South Park guys don't agree with you there. Not that I think everything they say is gospel, you understand. <_< >_> *hides Parker-Stone shrine*

so if an irish person goes to live/work in britain that makes him british:rolleyes:
    nationality is political both the culture and language are the same,many are both.

nationality is political both the culture and language are the same,many are both.

i wouldnt agree we have the same culture as england it may be similar but not the same

i wouldnt agree we have the same culture as england it may be similar but not the same
    what have you got that the british culture has not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Uilleann pipes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The fact that Starbucks is only located throughout Dublin shows a very British attitude.

The fact that Starbucks is only located throughout Dublin shows a very British attitude.

Starbucks is American. :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

mongdesade wrote: »
    Uilleann pipes :rolleyes:
    thats a bad one to try,uilleann pipes originally called union pipes,used in england by the 18th century northumbrian piper billy purvis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There's Starbucks all around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Irish rebel songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Homogenization and usurpation of real culture has been a trademark of empires down through the ages. The term "British" is meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Same culture as the English?

Eh, no its not, what sort of sh!te is that.

I'm not saying that one is superior to the other or anything, but they are not the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Starbucks was created here in Seattle, WA and the original store is still in operation, I believe. Seattle is also home to corporate headquarters, and there is a huge presence of Starbucks stores here. At one time, there was even a Starbucks restaurant. Amongst Seattleites, most people rely on Starbucks because it has decent coffee, a great selection of drinks, but the biggest thing is the convenience of having one or two in your neighborhood. The best coffee you can find are usually at the small coffee shops or the drive up huts; coffee is a huge part of the culture here.

As for the tweet, I looked on their page today and they issued a statement apologizing and clarifying that the tweet was meant for their British account. I think that is plausible. I would not be surprised if this PR team is responsible for the British Isles (which includes Ireland, I believe) and manages multiple accounts targeted at those in the UK and those in Ireland. Maybe one person owns the social media accounts and they failed to check which account they were using before sending out the tweet. Mistakes happen that cause insult to the population, but I do not think there was malicious intent involved. Still insulting, though.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Irish rebel songs.
    first heard at the battle of brananburgh [irish invasion of england -937]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Starbucks was created here in Seattle, WA and the original store is still in operation, I believe. Seattle is also home to corporate headquarters, and there is a huge presence of Starbucks stores here. At one time, there was even a Starbucks restaurant. Amongst Seattleites, most people rely on Starbucks because it has decent coffee, a great selection of drinks, but the biggest thing is the convenience of having one or two in your neighborhood. The best coffee you can find are usually at the small coffee shops or the drive up huts; coffee is a huge part of the culture here.

As for the tweet, I looked on their page today and they issued a statement apologizing and clarifying that the tweet was meant for their British account. I think that is plausible. I would not be surprised if this PR team is responsible for the British Isles (which includes Ireland, I believe) and manages multiple accounts targeted at those in the UK and those in Ireland. Maybe one person owns the social media accounts and they failed to check which account they were using before sending out the tweet. Mistakes happen that cause insult to the population, but I do not think there was malicious intent involved. Still insulting, though.

I thought everyone in Seattle drank coffee in Cafe Nervosa well well you learn something new every day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Uh oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Despite who what where or when, you would think they would have deleted it by now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No big deal in my book, I'd hazard a guess that a huge percentage of America would think we're part of Britain. Come to think of it anywhere I've visited in the world this subject often comes up with people I encounter who have no idea that the ROI is not part of the UK, for the most part these are educated, intelligent people. We're insignificant in the world, people don't care enough so they just make assumptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

could this have been a ploy on behalf of Starbucks? HUGE amount of free advertising. Say what you will but #starbucksie as been trending on twitter all yesterday & we have a 13 page thread on it. No advertising like free advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

BizzyC wrote: »
    FYI, best coffee in Dublin is at the Bald Barista on Aungiers Street

Oh I have a regulars card ;)
    The Humble Bean down the street makes just as good coffee imho (don't tell Buzz :P)
    MrMatisse wrote: »
    Despite who what where or when, you would think they would have deleted it by now :eek:

Why ?
    That would look worse.
    They apologised. Good enough. Get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It was just a daft cock-up at the end of the day. Schite happens (sadly).
    Time the world moved on to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

What with the Jubilee and Piggy Mitchell making trifle and all,
    I wish I was British !
    I love Trifle. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Reserected celtic fluf.

No big deal in my book, I'd hazard a guess that a huge percentage of America would think we're part of Britain. Come to think of it anywhere I've visited in the world this subject often comes up with people I encounter who have no idea that the ROI is not part of the UK, for the most part these are educated, intelligent people. We're insignificant in the world, people don't care enough so they just make assumptions.

most americans are worldly ignorant anyway i reckon they imagine everything outside their borders is one big country called 'the rest of the world'

Tiocfaidh ar latte.

Advertisement