Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IEC 2012 on TV?

• 05-06-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Does anyone know when the Eucharistic Congress is on TV?

RTE? EWTN?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Brer Fox wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the Eucharistic Congress is on TV?

RTE? EWTN?

RTE are broadcasting the Opening and Closing Ceremonies in full.

EWTN and SALT & LIGHT (a Canadian Channel) are broadcasting throughout the week - each afternoon, they will show Catechesis and the Main Liturgy

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brer Fox

neemish wrote: »
    RTE are broadcasting the Opening and Closing Ceremonies in full.

EWTN and SALT & LIGHT (a Canadian Channel) are broadcasting throughout the week - each afternoon, they will show Catechesis and the Main Liturgy

Thanks. Are the schedules online?

keep an eye on rte.ie and /www.ewtn-ireland.ie/ for schedules. If I hear anymore, I'll update you.
    also, http://saltandlighttv.org/iec/live have a live stream starting on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks. I had hoped to find detailed information on the IEC site about times of broadcasts on RTE, but I suppose I'd have to buy the RTE Guide for that. If anyone has the RTE Guide, perhaps they might provide a few details on this thread, as regards what is on and when.

Coverage on EWTN (Sky 589) begins at 1.45pm on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I had hoped to find detailed information on the IEC site about times of broadcasts on RTE, but I suppose I'd have to buy the RTE Guide for that. If anyone has the RTE Guide, perhaps they might provide a few details on this thread, as regards what is on and when.

Coverage on EWTN (Sky 589) begins at 1.45pm on Sunday.

RTE coverage also begins at 13.45 on Sunday, and will end at 16.45. And it will definitely end on time because of Ireland vs Croatia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I recorded the Opening Ceremonies today on my Sky box. I didn't get a chance to watch all of it but it did look like a wonderful Ceremony.

The music was nice and the bishops and cardinals looked well in their garb. I thought the icon behind the altar was nice, although the altar set-up was a little disappointing and looked a bit low-budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The music was nice and the bishops and cardinals looked well in their garb. I thought the icon behind the altar was nice, although the altar set-up was a little disappointing and looked a bit low-budget.

I understand ticket sales were disappointing. Perhaps they felt it was not worth getting the good china out for...?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

MrPudding wrote: »
    I understand ticket sales were disappointing. Perhaps they felt it was not worth getting the good china out for...?

MrP

Hmm, atheist makes snide comments about 'disappointing' ticket sales for a religious event that attracts tens of thousands of people to the RDS and to Croke Park.

Meanwhile, the World Atheist Convention of 2011 was held in the O'Callagan Alexander Hotel in Merrion Square (seating capacity of 400).

Do you see the irony?

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    Hmm, atheist makes snide comments about 'disappointing' ticket sales for a religious event that attracts tens of thousands of people to the RDS and to Croke Park.

Meanwhile, the World Atheist Convention of 2011 was held in the O'Callagan Alexander Hotel in Merrion Square (seating capacity of 400).

Do you see the irony?
    I suppose it's hard to get excited about there being no God.

Kind of like the 'pro-choice' demos. It's hard to get excited about killing babies I guess. Which is why they only attract a handful of zealots.

PDN wrote: »

Do you see the irony?

Hardly a snide comment, really PDN.

Do I see the irony? The irony that 84% of the population is catholic. It they can't even fill the RDS and half of those people that did attend were not from Ireland? Yes I can see that irony.

As you frequently point out, us godless heathens make up only a tiny percentage of the country, and indeed a tiny percentage of many countries, so the size of the venue chosen for the atheist conference isn't really ironic, more indicative of an organisation that has a realistic grasp of its numbers. But thanks for your input.

MrP

Hardly a snide comment, really PDN.

Do I see the irony? The irony that 84% of the population is catholic. It they can't even fill the RDS and half of those people that did attend were not from Ireland? Yes I can see that irony.

As you frequently point out, us godless heathens make up only a tiny percentage of the country, and indeed a tiny percentage of many countries, so the size of the venue chosen for the atheist conference isn't really ironic, more indicative of an organisation that has a realistic grasp of its numbers. But thanks for your input.

MrP
    There are many Catholics who wouldn't be bothered travelling all the way to Dublin to 'rough it'. I'm one of them. We can watch it on TV. For me, Dublin is some city far away. I feel little attraction to Dublin and only go there when absolutely necessary.

I suppose it's hard to get excited about there being no God.
    Probably true to an extent. I have never been to an atheist conference but I know there is more to it than an endless procession of speakers saying "there is no god. Questions?" I may go at some point, but really. It that bothered.
    Kind of like the 'pro-choice' demos. It's hard to get excited about killing babies I guess. Which is why they only attract a handful of zealots.
    Meh. Killing babies. I expect people that enjoy killing babies do get excited about it. Personally, I can take t or leave it.

MrP

There are many Catholics who wouldn't be bothered travelling all the way to Dublin to 'rough it'. I'm one of them. We can watch it on TV. For me, Dublin is some city far away. I feel little attraction to Dublin and only go there when absolutely necessary.

How many went to the last one?

MrP

How many went to the last one?

MrP

I don't know, I wasn't there. Anyway, it's not a numbers game. Pope Benedict said something about the Church not being about numbers.

I don't know, I wasn't there. Anyway, it's not a numbers game. Pope Benedict said something about the Church not being about numbers.

Well, of course he would say that, given the directions the numbers are going.

MrP

Well, of course he would say that, given the directions the numbers are going.

MrP

Pope Benedict saw that the Church would get smaller but purer back in the early seventies and probably before it. That's long before you got your greasy little paws on a mouse. :p It's not a new thing to say now just because things appear to have gone pear-shaped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Another thread derailed by unnecessary nastiness. I hope Brer that you will play a more positive role in the 'purer' church than the one you play here.

Pope Benedict saw that the Church would get smaller but purer back in the early seventies and probably before it. That's long before you got your greasy little paws on a mouse. :p It's not a new thing to say now just because things appear to have gone pear-shaped.

I wonder if he knew about something back then that might damage the church in future if it got out... Hmmm, I wonder...

MrP

• Advertisement

Another thread derailed by unnecessary nastiness. I hope Brer that you will play a more positive role in the 'purer' church than the one you play here.

Are you referring to my Dublin comments? I wasn't being nasty, I was being honest. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

I'm gussing that Mister pudding threw that comment in to rattle the natives!

I would gather that the IEC numbers reflects those that follow the teachings of the Church faithfully. Nobody expects cherry pickers to show up, they don't even darken the doors of the Church, but only for 'special' occasions!

Some of the protestors (if you can believe them) claimed the attendees in some cases agreed with some of their positions. I don't think all the attendees are faithful Catholics if by that you mean they accept all the Church teachings. Liberals are in attendance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

Some of the protestors (if you can believe them) claimed the attendees in some cases agreed with some of their positions. I don't think all the attendees are faithful Catholics if by that you mean they accept all the Church teachings. Liberals are in attendance too.

I guess there are those who are there out of curioity too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I saw 15 protesters on Sunday. (with 2 police cars parked nearby just in case things got out of control :eek:)

I saw 15 protesters on Sunday. (with 2 police cars parked nearby just in case things got out of control :eek:)

From my intelligence reports, protestors were gathered in small numbers at all 3 entrances to the RDS. It's pretty intolerant imho, to protest an event like this. Catholics have a right to have their own confab without protestors attempting to spoil things. It's a family event, and some of their placards were very offensive.

There's not a single sentence here that makes sense. Are you simply trolling now?
    Why would some of the attendees agree with some of the positions of the protestors.
    Why would the protestors views not be believable?
    Why would all the attendees accept all the teachings? Some of them might not accept the structures chosen for the Eucharistic celebration by the hundreds of priests and bishops in attendance.
    Are Liberals not invited?

From my intelligence reports, protestors were gathered in small numbers at all 3 entrances to the RDS. It's pretty intolerant imho, to protest an event like this. Catholics have a right to have their own confab without protestors attempting to spoil things. It's a family event, and some of their placards were very offensive.

Ok, now I see that you are trolling and that's very disappointing.

There's not a single sentence here that makes sense. Are you simply trolling now?
    Why would some of the attendees agree with some of the positions of the protestors.
    Why would the protestors views not be believable?
    Why would all the attendees accept all the teachings? Some of them might not accept the structures chosen for the Eucharistic celebration by the hundreds of priests and bishops in attendance.
    Are Liberals not invited?
    I think you are trolling with your strange questions. ^

Believe it or not, but some Catholics do think that the Church is wrong about sexuality for example. Wasn't there a survey done fairly recently about the beliefs of Irish Catholics?
    Ok, now I see that you are trolling and that's very disappointing.
    You seem paranoid to me. I'm not out to get you, I can assure you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

The talk Breda O'Brien gave today on love and marriage, children, family, friendship the community and the love of God, the table at the alter where we break bread and have communion as a family with the Lord, and how it's reflected in every home at every dinner table was superb, gritty, funny, and so very true. She out did herself. Well done Breda, some very poignant parallels from the Gospels too -

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

I was working the the Congress (Security by the main Alter) for the full week and loved every mniute of it.

I went in not knowing what to expect but found it spiritually wonferful. It gave me a new vigour in my belief and witness.

Some of the Catechesis talks were outstanding. Archbishop Tagle's stood out most of all.

A great week :)

Advertisement