Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom account refund issue

Options
  • 05-06-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

Around three weeks ago I was billed for a security deposit that should never have been on my account as I set up a direct debit. When I contacted your customer service I was assured that this would not be charged as it was just precautionary while the direct debit cleared. A week later the full amount including my deposit was deducted from my account.

I again contacted your customer service and was informed I needed to contact your accounts department to sort out a refund. When I contacted your accounts department I was given no answers, just a lot of excuses about how the direct debit still needed to clear (despite you clearly having access to my account already) and was told to call back in a week.

So I called back today, the lady who answered wouldn't transfer me through to the accounts department as requested, she simply took my mobile number and said she'd email the accounts department for me.

Frankly this isn't acceptable, I was not only assured the money wouldn't be taken, but twice now given the run around regarding receiving a refund. Is there anything anyone here can do to help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

T83 wrote: »
    Hi,

Around three weeks ago I was billed for a security deposit that should never have been on my account as I set up a direct debit. When I contacted your customer service I was assured that this would not be charged as it was just precautionary while the direct debit cleared. A week later the full amount including my deposit was deducted from my account.

I again contacted your customer service and was informed I needed to contact your accounts department to sort out a refund. When I contacted your accounts department I was given no answers, just a lot of excuses about how the direct debit still needed to clear (despite you clearly having access to my account already) and was told to call back in a week.

So I called back today, the lady who answered wouldn't transfer me through to the accounts department as requested, she simply took my mobile number and said she'd email the accounts department for me.

Frankly this isn't acceptable, I was not only assured the money wouldn't be taken, but twice now given the run around regarding receiving a refund. Is there anything anyone here can do to help?

Hi T83,

Could you PM me with the account number and I'll get this sorted for you. Sorry for the hassle up to this point, no need for all the running around you've had to do. Once I have the account info I can confirm the situation for you. At the end of the day if direct debit is set up you will be due back any deposit paid. I can arrange this from here.

Thanks

James

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

But if the OP elected to go down the DD route then the deposit should never have been taken!

Why oh why do big companies feel its okay to dip in and take peoples money like this? and then withhold a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

I rang the credit control department this morning regarding this, as I needed an answer as soon as possible. After sitting on hold for 33 minutes I was informed that nobody had made any notes on my account from my last few phone calls and that this was the first anyone had heard of my query.

I was then told that because I recently moved house, that my old account was marked closed and although I have a new account I need to wait until the line is active sometime this week before they can begin the procedure for issuing a refund as the system won't allow them to refund the money I'm owed as it stands.

Because of all this I had to apply for an overdraft on my bank account, and it's now been over two weeks and the refund still can't be issued until the new line is active.

As the poster above me asked... why do companies like yourselves feel you have the right to dip into personal accounts like this? And what kind of customer service is it where nothing is logged and all reassurances can pretty much just be ignored? Honestly if Eircom wasn't my only option for the apartment I'm currently living in then there's no way I'd ever voluntarily deal with Eircom again for home broadband.

I'll PM you my account details anyway, at least this way I'll know that a request has actually been logged this time and hopefully I won't need to call again once the line is active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

T83 wrote: »
    I rang the credit control department this morning regarding this, as I needed an answer as soon as possible. After sitting on hold for 33 minutes I was informed that nobody had made any notes on my account from my last few phone calls and that this was the first anyone had heard of my query.

I was then told that because I recently moved house, that my old account was marked closed and although I have a new account I need to wait until the line is active sometime this week before they can begin the procedure for issuing a refund as the system won't allow them to refund the money I'm owed as it stands.

Because of all this I had to apply for an overdraft on my bank account, and it's now been over two weeks and the refund still can't be issued until the new line is active.

As the poster above me asked... why do companies like yourselves feel you have the right to dip into personal accounts like this? And what kind of customer service is it where nothing is logged and all reassurances can pretty much just be ignored? Honestly if Eircom wasn't my only option for the apartment I'm currently living in then there's no way I'd ever voluntarily deal with Eircom again for home broadband.

I'll PM you my account details anyway, at least this way I'll know that a request has actually been logged this time and hopefully I won't need to call again once the line is active.

Hi T83,

Have been chasing this for you today and here's what I gathered from credit management; They have processed the transfer of €30 odd from the old account to the new account. They have also noted a refund of the €150 deposit on the new account however this can't be issued until the line has been installed, or moreso when the order completes on our system here. Once that is done the refund will be sent out by cheque. The girl I spoke to in credit management had all the details and was already aware of the issue so it seems all is in order. I have also sent a mail regarding the move of the account to try get this pushed along for you.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

Thanks for you efforts, hopefully it'll be resolved when the line eventually does get installed in the new apartment...

I can't see that happening any time soon though, I called yesterday to confirm that the installation date was the 8th of June, got a 5 minute speech about how "Yes today is the 8th and you're scheduled to be installed today". No internet last night, no calls about installation, called back today, put on hold for ten minutes then told "No it says it's the 14th of June is your installation date, the girl yesterday must have read your account wrong.".................... so the person I spoke to almost a month ago was wrong and so was the girl yesterday?? Utterly abysmal customer service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement