Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

book

• 05-06-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

Look, don't slate me in work need a quick answer, I understand it's probably been posted but I have limited net access.

Big fan of the show, but as season 2 has ended I can't wait another 9 months to start it again, whats the next book in the series or next 2 that carry on striaght after the current T.V series.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Storm of swords.

But I would not recommend starting with it. To Enjoy A Sing if Ice and Fire properly you need to read from the first book!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, just read the first two books first
    there's stuff that is pretty different and theres stuff that was left out altogether... if you just jump into book 3 you'll probably be pretty confused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Perfect, can anyone gimme the list of books :)

in order, pew pew :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A Game of Thrones
    A Storm of Swords
    A Clash of Kings
    A Feast For Crows
    A Dance with Dragons

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Game+of+Thrones+Books :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Note that A Storm of Swords and A Dance with Dragons were both split into two books for the paperback release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Sleepy wrote: »
    A Game of Thrones
    A Clash of Kings
    A Storm of Swords
    A Feast For Crows
    A Dance with Dragons

FYP, book order was wrong.

LOL, I'm always reversing thsoe two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

LOL, I'm always reversing thsoe two!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=correct+order+of+game+of+thrones

See what I did there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

i can do two better;:p
    Book 6: The Winds of Winter (not yet released)
    Book 7: A Dream of Spring (not yet released)

Please hurry and finish them Martin, you're no spring chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Wetbench4 wrote: »

Apparently he has revealed the gist of the final plot of both books to Benihoff and Weiss should he die before finishing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

I got the first three books recently. Flew through Game of thrones and a good bit into A clash of kings. Tried to start with a clash of kings for similar reasons to yourself OP but it didn't work.

Its a tad tedious at times when you know what's going to happen but there's a lot more in the books too. Really really enjoyable overall

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    i can do two better;:p
    Book 6: The Winds of Winter (not yet released)
    Book 7: A Dream of Spring (not yet released)

It may be a bit spoilerific (and it's for that very reason that GRRM has changed the title) but A Dream of Spring was originally to be titled
    A Time for Wolves

Is anyone else a bit irked by the break from the naming convention Book 6 is taking with a title beginning "The" instead of "A"? Or am I just a total pedant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Is anyone else a bit irked by the break from the naming convention Book 6 is taking with a title beginning "The" instead of "A"? Or am I just a total pedant?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Any idea of release dates?

It'll be the end of 2013 at the *very* earliest based on how long his previous books have taken to write. Should Winds of Winter take as long as Dance did, we could be waiting until 2017...

Hang on a second, is he a part time writer? Could someone have a word with him?

Have a google on it... plenty of fans have ground that particular axe before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

It will be ready when it's ready. He has said recently that he has 200 pages written, and most of them
    are a battle scene
    . I expect him to have gotten over the problems he had with AFFC and ADWD and not take as long as he did with those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Reader1937 wrote: »
    Could someone have a word with him?

and say what?:pac: It's his work, he is entitled to take as long as he wants with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

For the books that are split into two, you can order a single volume copy from the US or Canada. I really hate the two volume thing they have going here.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    and say what?:pac: It's his work, he is entitled to take as long as he wants with it.
    Just impatient Blay, I did not for a minute imagine someone would read this and act on it. His books are a delight to read and far from the usual three book journey saga. He is of course entitled to take as long as he wants, its just not what everyone else who reads and enjoys his books wants or hopes for.
    Having said all that, the Homer Somson approach might work "Could you please write faster?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Reader1937 wrote: »
    Just impatient Blay, I did not for a minute imagine someone would read this and act on it. His books are a delight to read and far from the usual three book journey saga. He is of course entitled to take as long as he wants, its just not what everyone else who reads and enjoys his books wants or hopes for.
    Having said all that, the Homer Somson approach might work "Could you please write faster?"
    *ahem*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

A Game of Thrones
    A Storm of Swords
    A Clash of Kings
    A Feast For Crows
    A Dance with Dragons

DOH! read that the other day and started a storm of swords by mistake! (kindle edition) so now am spoilerfied for the first few episodes of next season. I had planned on not reading the third book until after the third season as i am enjoying the tv series so much and reading the books after is filling in the story nicely. Doh serves me right for believing anything i read on an internet forum! not to break the news to the other half - he is not going to be impressed

anyhow
    OMG the end of book 1 was sooo much better then they did on tv. the pyre, the dragons, the nursing, the hair - why did they not shave her? why?

Raphael wrote: »
    That was enjoyable, thank you. Helps the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

To quote the awesome Neil Gaiman:
    Yes, it's unrealistic of you to think George is "letting you down".

Look, this may not be palatable, Gareth, and I keep trying to come up with a better way to put it, but the simplicity of things, at least from my perspective is this:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly George is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

lynski wrote: »
    DOH! read that the other day and started a storm of swords by mistake! (kindle edition) so now am spoilerfied for the first few episodes of next season. I had planned on not reading the third book until after the third season as i am enjoying the tv series so much and reading the books after is filling in the story nicely. Doh serves me right for believing anything i read on an internet forum! not to break the news to the other half - he is not going to be impressed

anyhow
    OMG the end of book 1 was sooo much better then they did on tv. the pyre, the dragons, the nursing, the hair - why did they not shave her? why?
    Ah fook, I'm sorry!

Can a mod edit my post so it doesn't happen anyone else? I don't seem to have the option any more?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

lynski wrote: »

anyhow

That really sucks but is also hilarious :D How much had you read before you copped it?

I'm trying to adopt the same method as you, read each book after each season, but its going to be hard not to read Storm of Swords straight after I finish Clash of Kings especially since season 3 is only adapting half of the third book.

I was trying to work it out in my head the other day, if they make every season half a book from here on it could potentially be ten years before its finished, I'm not sure I can handle that!

Just read the books Mickeroo, you'll find the series just as enjoyable knowing the broad strokes of where it's going and you'll be able to join us anoraks over in the "read the books" threads to debate as to whether they should have changed X, Y or Z ;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just read the books Mickeroo, you'll find the series just as enjoyable knowing the broad strokes of where it's going and you'll be able to join us anoraks over in the "read the books" threads to debate as to whether they should have changed X, Y or Z ;)

Thats all I needed to hear :P

I'm about 200 pages into Clash of Kings and its already quite different to how things played out on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

This! The books are a completely different beast to the show. Do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Like you op couldn't wait for the third season so bought the first part of the third book a storm of swords.

a few things are different and there are some extra characters that the show doesn't have as well as story lines the show leaves out.

Overall its easy enough to follow but the book was a lot better. Can't wait to read the second part now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Ye could use this site. It does a pretty good synopsis of each chapter, you'd fly through them. It has all the books I think...It'd be better than just jumping straight into ASOS.

Finally onto ASOS myself. :D

Anyways, link for GoT, aCok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Like you op couldn't wait for the third season so bought the first part of the third book a storm of swords.

a few things are different and there are some extra characters that the show doesn't have as well as story lines the show leaves out.

Overall its easy enough to follow but the book was a lot better. Can't wait to read the second part now.

The reading of "Storm of Swords" should carry a warning "May cause involuntary wetting of pants from excitement" :D

It really is worth reading the books from the start..... well maybe from the second at least as the series really nailed the 1st book pretty much, the series had many changes book readers were not happy about, many changes I would say were for the better and made for better TV but there were a few that left me scratching my head as they would have made great TV had they been included and not been costly budget wise, or done as in the book, most irritating was the changes to Jon's parts I was flabbergasted when they didn't stay true to the books there and use the line
    Now.... We Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3 words and they didn't use them and it would have been a really good way to have ended one of the episodes :mad:

Yea, the first book really has practically everything on screen. The only thing I'd say for reading it is the Direwolves are played down in the series a bit in comparison I felt. Plus the little bits on the children of the forest etc which aren't really mentioned on screen. The best thing about reading book one though was getting to read more about the battles between Robb's men and the Lannisters and how they caught Jamie and also the introduction of the Tullys and the Blackfish (who I believe is going to be in season 3), also I found the descriptions of events from Robert & Eddards past gave their characters a lot more fleshing out.

300 pages into a clash of kings now, I'm guessing at this stage that the whole Renly being gay storyline was made up for the show?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    300 pages into a clash of kings now, I'm guessing at this stage that the whole Renly being gay storyline was made up for the show?

There's a lot of stuff that is only implied in the books but made explicit in the show. The Renly being gay thing is one of them!

• Advertisement

Funglegunk wrote: »
    There's a lot of stuff that is only implied in the books but made explicit in the show. The Renly being gay thing is one of them!

I'm guessing its the rainbow cloaks that gave them the idea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Perfect, can anyone gimme the list of books :)

in order, pew pew :)
    Is your Google broken...?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm guessing its the rainbow cloaks that gave them the idea :D
    Well, that and Loras Tyrell's reaction when TV Season 2
    Renley is killed

Well, that and Loras Tyrell's reaction when TV Season 2
    Renley is killed

Ah I see, not got to that bit yet. There is a lot of stuff about Renly liking fine clothes and going to the gym a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Stannis also makes a derogatory quip about his potential for siring children when they meet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I'm about a third of the way thru Book 1 (a game of thrones), I've been meaning to read these for ages. Sounds like I have lots to look forward to.

A clash of kings is number 2 correct?. (so confusing, esp with some of the 'books' being split in 2)

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I'm about a third of the way thru Book 1 (a game of thrones), I've been meaning to read these for ages. Sounds like I have lots to look forward to.

A clash of kings is number 2 correct?. (so confusing, esp with some of the 'books' being split in 2)

You do indeed have lots to looks forward to. :) The books are ordered as follows:

1. A Game of Thrones
    2. A Clash of Kings
    3. A Storm of Swords (some editions split into two volumes: 1. Steel and Snow, 2. Blood and Gold.)
    4. A Feast For Crows
    5. A Dance With Dragons (some editions split into two volumes: 1. Dreams and Dust, 2. After The Feast)
    6. The Winds of Winter (not released yet)
    7. A Dream of Spring (not released yet)

Funglegunk wrote: »
    You do indeed have lots to looks forward to. :) The books are ordered as follows:

1. A Game of Thrones
    2. A Clash of Kings
    3. A Storm of Swords (some editions split into two volumes: 1. Steel and Snow, 2. Blood and Gold.)
    4. A Feast For Crows
    5. A Dance With Dragons (some editions split into two volumes: 1. Dreams and Dust, 2. After The Feast)
    6. The Winds of Winter (not released yet)
    7. A Dream of Spring (not released yet)

Many thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

I watched the first series last summer. Then in April purchased all the books and decided I would read them instead. Found the first book a chore to read as I knew what would happen.

Tore through books 2 and three then over the last month.

The third book is truly immense.

The second part of it I read in about two days, I couldn't put it down. There was just so much stuff happening.

I was going to take a break and let the dust settle after book three but have now started onto the feast for crows.

:D

Book three was miles ahead of book one and two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DFX2011

is the books better than the tv show as is usually the case??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

yes the books are definitely better than the tv shows

Having seen the first two series kind of ruined the first two books as I knew everything that would happen, but i'm just started the 3rd book and the story line is so much better cause there is suspense added to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Note to anyone buying books in bulk - the back cover of the paperback of A Feast for Crows contains A MASSIVE SPOILER.

I read AGOT of thrones in 2008 and bought the other 3 books at the same time shortly afterwards, and one of the events of Storm was ruined for me by the back cover of Feast. I should really complain to the publishers!

Still working thru book 1 plan to get hold of the TV stuff after. I've not seen a min of the TV series. Is it fair to say series 1 covers book 1 and so on?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Still working thru book 1 plan to get hold of the TV stuff after. I've not seen a min of the TV series. Is it fair to say series 1 covers book 1 and so on?.

Yup. The first book and season are kept pretty much the exact same as well, things change in aCoK. Enjoy it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Series 1 on TV pretty much does cover things, but Series 2 ....no .... if you have started on the books watch the show after reading book 2 I would say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement