Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA - Not progressing to a higher qualification

Options
  • 05-06-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I'm hoping to return to college in September but am in quite a bit of doubt about what assistance I will be entitled to, if any.

I already have a BA degree but am changing career and need to train in a different area. The course I will be returning to will be a Higher Certificate.

I'm hoping to get BTEA as i will meet the days unemployed requirement, but i'm worried about already having a degree. They say you have to be progressing in your education to a higher qualification, which i won't be doing but they do say there are exceptions.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Or know how lenient/immovable they are on this??

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think at the moment because of recessionary times that rules like this are not broken easily at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AdmiringWig

Yeah, that's my fear. They keep telling me to apply anyway. I think i'll give the BTEA dept a call later on and see if they can give me an indication. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I'm in the same boat. Impossible to get a job in Ireland with my primary degree (civil engineering), been unemployed for a year now. So I'm going back to do medicine, won't qualify for any assistance whatsoever due to lack of progression.

I can understand why people in our position must pay fees, but if we've never claimed BTEA before for anything, I don't see why we should be cast aside compared to people who say, didn't finish their primary degree because they failed or dropped out. In the long term the country would actually save money by allowing people go back to college to do the degrees that actually have job prospects..

Advertisement