Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Incorrect transfer rumours etc.

• 05-06-2012 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

What are your favourites especialy those that gathered legs online. Mine is the story Liverpool and the guy from Dream Team. It remains to be seen if David Healy will go to Fleetwood Town but if he doesnt that gets an honourable mention.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It was widely reported that Michael Reddy finished his footballing career in Greenland, and then later in the Falkland Islands.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/87917-michael-reddy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jan Koller to Sunderland around about 2005.
    Bored by lack of football news following the end of the season in England, some supporters of Sunderland decided to make up a transfer rumour. They posted bogus claims on various fan sites that Czech international Jan Koller was in negotiations with Sunderland — and equally bogus claims that the news was on his current (German) club’s web site — and then sat back to see if the media would bite.

Within hours the local paper ran the story on its back page (’Cats want Koller - AMBITIOUS Sunderland want to sign giant Czech striker Jan Koller [...] But enquiries are still at the very early stage for the Borussia Dortmund forward…’). The following day the best selling tabloids picked it up, including The Sun (’Cats eye giant Jan - Sunderland want giant striker Jan Koller to fire them to Premiership safety. The Black Cats are having talks with Borussia Dortmund in a bid to tie up a £1.5 million deal for the 32 year-old Czech.’) and The Mirror (’KOLLER & TIE-UP - SUNDERLAND want giant striker Jan Koller to boost their chances in the Premiership. The Black Cats are in talks with Borussia Dortmund in a bid to tie up a £1.5million deal for the Czech international.’).

All lies, of course, and sourced initially from fan sites with made up quotations being reproduced and false certainties and facts inserted by some very lazy journos, probably on the basis of the local paper story being fed to the PA and embellished to fill out the gaps.

Less than 48 hours after starting the rumour, the global television media were on the case with the player’s agent had to contact Sky Sports News to deny the claims appearing in the press: ‘These stories are a major surprise and I think someone is dreaming up stories’. If only he knew…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

My story from a previous post:
    about 4 years ago when i was in college one of the lads on my course used to play for Athone Town (had left athlone about 3 years), never played for the first team though. anyway one day i posted a rumour on one of those trampy football-transfer-rumours.com sites that Spurs were about to wrap up his signing for £1m. I even used football manager speak, Spurs about to sign Irish starlet Will Egan from Ahtlone Town, the midfield dynamo is about to sign for one million or something to that effect.

Anyway i forget about and the next week, he tells me it was in the People (except for £100,000) and another Irish tabloid had rung his mother to ask whether there was any truth in it. It was even up on the Athlone Town forum with people asking what was going on?

Anyway hats off to the lazy writer who came up with a great headline:

Will Egan Get His Spurs?

and here's some proof i just found

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-126828297.html

Just shows you these 'sources' they talk about are bull****...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Masal bugduv. ;) Teen sensation ;)

Google him :P

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

We should get our own transfer rumour going and see how much momentum can be built up with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

"Blackburn make bid for Brazilian playmaker Ronaldinho."

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

It needs to be realistic, but outlandish all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Gary Breen to Barcelona. Rumour or fact? Didn't happen anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Arsenal to make a "cut-price" bid for Yakubu?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What about Liverpool signing a fella by the name of Didier Baptiste,he was character off Skys Dream Team

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/paper-links-liverpool-to-player-who-doesnt-exist-738961.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Baptiste

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Neil Mellor on loan to Cork City from Preston.

This made the back page of the Evening Echo in Cork in 2007ish.

What had happened was Dave Rogers and Greg O Halloran were up to mischief. Rogers got a local Cork hacks phone number off Greg, and rang him saying he was a reporter with the Liverpool Echo and had heard that CCFC had made enquiries about Mellor and asked had anything been said in Cork about it.

Without checking his facts, Spillane went to print on it.

Brilliant....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Ribery to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You'd be better off choosing someone obscure from the Irish Leagues like BP did (cracking effort by the way) and posting on a clubs forum. If anyone is registered on their clubs forum try it and see what comes of it :)

-Ade- wrote: »
    We should get our own transfer rumour going and see how much momentum can be built up with it :D

We need to set up a private group so it won't show up in google searches (that it's a fake) ;)

And there's plenty of guys on here that to writing for football collums ;)

And there should be some sort of anagram or something set out in advance like the masal bugduv thing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

How about 'Del Piero to fire QPR to premier league safety next season' with some 'quotes' from Del Piero saying he always loved london

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Persopolis talisman Eamon Zayed to Barcelona.

Several years ago.

How about 'Del Piero to fire QPR to premier league safety next season' with some 'quotes' from Del Piero saying he always loved london

You can't say it in a thread as it will show up in google searches and will easily be found out to be fake ;)

I am dying to get this going.

I am dying to get this going.

Me too :P Can someone set up a private group or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-465717/Everton-sign-Riquelme--pull-Juan.html
    Everton have been forced into an embarrassing climbdown after their website claimed they had agreed a deal for Juan Roman Riquelme.
    A story appeared on the website on Monday morning claiming that the Argentine was on his way from Villarreal. The 'news' quickly spread on Everton forums, where rumours of a swoop for Riquelme have been fostered over the past month despite the former Barcelona player being on the verge of a move to Atletico Madrid.
    The story was quickly removed from the Everton website, where a statement appeared claiming the article was 'completely untrue and appeared as a result of a technical error that occurred during some maintenance work on the site'.
    A club spokesperson explained: "During the process of uploading the new home page designs for the website some test data was displayed for a very short period of time and was immediately removed after it had been identified.
    "Example data had been used during the testing process and this was unfortunately missed by our appointed web development company during the final upload.
    "We have since spoken to our suppliers to convey our complete dissatisfaction at the way in which this mis-information appeared and they have apologized to the Club and any Everton supporters who may have may have read the test article."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Samich wrote: »
    Masal bugduv. ;) Teen sensation ;)

Google him :P

Sheffield Wednesday fans invented Terry Henfleet and backed it up with twitter account, facebook account etc.

Papers jumped on it: http://sarahhartley.wordpress.com/2010/05/30/newspaper-gets-spoofed-by-terry-henfleet-again/

This Kluivert one did the rounds as well at Hillsborough:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/6912404.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Someone make a private group im in ;)

ASOT wrote: »

Me toooo

Me too, how do you make a private group?

Twitter would be great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Paully D wrote: »
    You'd be better off choosing someone obscure from the Irish Leagues like BP did (cracking effort by the way) and posting on a clubs forum. If anyone is registered on their clubs forum try it and see what comes of it :)

Speaking of the Irish League I remember this gem from 2 or 3 years ago. Basically a few teenagers did/do ran a blog on LOI football and their interview of players generally took place over Facebook/Twitter. Barry Ryan was 1st choice keeper at a Premier Division club. Unfortunately for the bloggers it turned out that they were infact talking to a different Barry Ryan online. Sparked a day or 2 of debate on LOI forums until someone who knew the real Barry Ryan put an end to the rumour.

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14002&start=0

http://foot.ie/threads/138234-Barry-Ryan-to-break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

What about those two fellas with international caps from CSKA Moscow going to Limerick FC? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I remember something in either Match or shoot years ago about roberto baggio moving to wrexham!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Reo-Cooker linked with Napoli at the end of last season :pac:

• Advertisement

I got one going on Twitter a week or so ago when Hazard was playing his final game for Lille. I managed to get 38 retweets.

If you sound convincing enough on it people will genuinely believe it and retweet you, thus giving more credence to your rumour and spreading it further afield.

;) You can be a valuable link then :P

Also if anyone uses mozilla firefox, there's an add on in it so you can edit web pages, so for an example, you can click on say a newspaper headline and edit it, it will use the same formatting and everything. And you can also edit anything else on the page. So if you got a local german newspaper, used google translator and made up some story of a move it would be very convincing ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I want in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Can someone let me know via pm what the rumour is so i can look out for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Paul Mcshane to Barcalona

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Jason Sherlock to Liverpool in 1995.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Rangers seemingly tried to get Ronaldo from Brazil to play for them in the Champions League only. They wanted him on a pay for play basis when Ronaldo was at the peak of his powers, back in the day when they were spending money like it was going out of fashion.

• Advertisement

No rumour finalised yet ;) Join the social group though.

This is an example of firebug, the add on for firefox ;) So easy to use :P

2012-06-05_1826.png

I only changed the headline as an example :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1332142/Aston-Villa-weighing-Lyon-midfielder-Juninho.html#ixzz16U7BbwR2
    Meanwhile, Athletic Bilbao are the latest club to show interest in Villa striker John Carew with Manchester City and Real Madrid among the list of admirers for their Spanish international striker Fernando Llorente.

Bilbao see Carew as a potential replacement should £30m-rated Llorente be sold.

Epic Fail by the Daily Fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Rangers are hoping to sign Argentinian prodigy Leo Messi on loan from Barcelona.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11788_2341321,00.html
    Coach Frank Rijkaard is currently assessing how much involvement Messi will play in the new campaign and could sanction a switch to Rangers if it will benefit his career.

Messi to Rangers on loan :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

this isnt the group one its jsut something i tweeted for the lols

currently just got 5 extra followers from it haha

AupKUkZCEAAMaLn.png:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

colly_06 wrote: »
    Messi to Rangers on loan :eek:

That's a true story, it very nearly happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

this isnt the group one its jsut something i tweeted for the lols

currently just got 5 extra followers from it haha

AupKUkZCEAAMaLn.png:large

Late swoop?

Funny though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Ronaldinho was nearly with St. Mirren as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Not a player related one but I remember back in 2007 there was so many rumours about the new Ireland manager and "betting odds slashed on X" that one of the lads off this forum contacted Paddy Power looking for odds on Alain Giresse (manager of Gabon at the time) and he had seen the man at Dublin Airport. Lo and behold he was put up on Paddy Power at 150/1 as a outside candidate. Its very easy to skew these things with a bit of persuasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

This is too delicious not to be part of, is there a group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sign me up for this anyway, sounds like a great laugh :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=323

All these posts will have to be deleted soon enough :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Rangers made formal enquiries about Messi & Iniesta

Can everyone take a look here please ;)

Well worth it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=323

More Help appreciated, join the group above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Here is one from tonight....

Anelka is coming back to London ......

West Ham .

actually might be some truth in it :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement