Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC no longer working what broadband to use now?

• 05-06-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there
    just off the phone from the UPC engineer who said the cable to our house is faulty and they would need to dig up the road and the garden in the house across the road from us to fix it (who incidentally has perfect UPC)
    in short its not going to happen as only two houses on the road are affected by this dodgy cable and permission from council neighbours etc so we have to move providers as we have no tv at the moment
    so what are the options?
    Sky for TV I suppose but what about broadband I keep reading bad reports about eircom? can anyone recommend a good broadband service ? such a pity about UPC we had TV landline and broadband all together and now it looks like we have to use different providers?
    any info greatly appreciated
    thanks a million
    rocket chick

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Turn on UPC BB in a neighbours ( you pay) and wifi it over to your house. How did it go faulty anyway???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Hi there
    just off the phone from the UPC engineer who said the cable to our house is faulty and they would need to dig up the road and the garden in the house across the road from us to fix it (who incidentally has perfect UPC)

Something similar happened to me a few years ago but the UPC engineer was able to replace the cable by attaching it to the old cable and pulling it through that way. He told me at the time that there was a risk the old cable would break and in that case I would have been out of luck. Might be worth your while asking if they try something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rocketchick

thanks for the replies
    sponge bob the engineer said that its the original cable that was laid by cable link about 30 years ago and its aged and leaking, and apparently a bungalow was built facing us that is also effecting the cable, they would need to get permission from the council and the neighbour to dig up the roads and garden but as there are only two houses with upc it wont eb worth their while
    they can't put an overhead cable because of the bungalow either
    i suppose as its the cable then any provider will have the same problems so does that mean that the only option is satellite> does that even exist? that you could get the internet in your house via satellite and not cable?
    is that what wimax do?
    sorry for the stupid questions it just seems odd that the reason is a faulty cable that no one is prepared to fix ??
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

UPC use a different cable system to DSL providers, so you may still be able to get DSL even if UPCs cable is damaged. Magnet or Smart might be worth looking at, generally if you had UPC then you are in a pretty urban area which probably means you are covered by the various 24Mb DSL packages.
    If there is a problem with DSL also then fixed wireless is also an option, like Digiweb, I've never used them myself but they could be all right. The next step down after that is mobile broadband, which to be honest isn't up to much. After that satellite broadband is possible, but really not worth it, not unless you have absolutely no other option.

As for TV, I'd have a look at freesat first and see if they channels they provide (plus the Irish terrestrial ones) are enough, otherwise you will just have to shell out for sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thanks for the replies
    sponge bob the engineer said that its the original cable that was laid by cable link about 30 years ago and its aged and leaking, and apparently a bungalow was built facing us that is also effecting the cable, they would need to get permission from the council and the neighbour to dig up the roads and garden but as there are only two houses with upc it wont eb worth their whiles

If all the neighbours let them run cable they might, they won't cross a road for two houses but they might for everyone who built a house over 30 years.

I take it you are in Dublin/Waterford/Galway , UPC have area engineers in all of them who would tell you what you need to do, eg wayleave forms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement