Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy (Gusts to 60MPH) + Heavy Rain & Flooding Thursday/Friday (June 7/8th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

The met eireAnn 5 day forecast seems to have moved the heavier rain out to the Atlantic just off the west coast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The 12z NAE showing relatively widespread >100mm accumulations over the next 48 hours. Some serious flooding will occur if it is correct.
    207883.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Latest ECM for midday tomorrow.

120606_1200_24.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Already showing on the radar to the South of Ireland.
    It will be raining in Cork before midnight.
    Would be nice to get a few embedded thunderstorms!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I hope the south county councils are taking precautionary actions now!

207897.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Heading out to check that insy winsy hasn't spun a web in my rain gauge, want to be ready for this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Good to see Met Eireann are on their game with the weather warning and mentions of flooding in their forecast, even if it is just "localised flooding".
    It will be an interesting few days to say the least.

People will still complain because met eireann didn't send a personal letter to everyone in the country warning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

[Quote=Paparazzo;

People will still complain because met eireann didn't send a personal letter to everyone in the country warning them.[/Quote]

Lol :-D

I see the RSA tonight are warning the roads could be skiddy after the recent dry weather.

You can only laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I see the RSA tonight are warning the roads could be skiddy after the recent dry weather.

You can only laugh!

The reason for that is that during dry weather a film of oils/fuel/rubber etc builds up on the roads without being washed away and then when it does rain the roads are slippier than normal as the oils rise up.
    So they're right ;)

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    The reason for that is that during dry weather a film of oils/fuel/rubber etc builds up on the roads without being washed away and then when it does rain the roads are slippier than normal as the oils rise up.
    So they're right ;)

It's been raining here almost non stop for the last ten days.
    Has it been recently dry where you are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

eskimocat wrote: »
    Heading out to check that insy winsy hasn't spun a web in my rain gauge, want to be ready for this one!

Don't worry Insy Winsy is in my guage and has been evading capture, torture & eventual death for over a week now - please weather gods drown him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oh right. I see what you mean now :o
    Well it;s been dry today here. Maybe that's what they mean lol.

Time for weather on rte

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

leahyl wrote: »
    Time for weather on rte

Outlook doesn't look too good, that's for sure!

Time for weather on rte

Relentless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Every cloud has a silver lining though as tomorrow should present us with some great nimbostratus displays.

Whether or which, bring it on..

Time for weather on rte

Relentless!
    Her side profile was distracting ....thank God she did not start talking about hills or mountains :)
    Relentless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

You can only laugh!

Aquaplanes, haven't you heard of them?

Um yes, much of the country had that hot, dry spell. Perfect conditions for build-up of oil and whatnot on the roads.

• Advertisement

NAE 18z really ramping up 48 hr totals up through the spine of the country with 100mm or more in some spots (more spots than on the 12z that is) 207923.gif

seems just a little bit too extreme though to be taken seriously but at the same time, the NAE model can sometimes be pretty good at calling these events. Will be interesting to see the HIRLAM 18z when they roll out to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just wondering if this storm (If you can call it that) is actually heading a bit more eastwards instead of north? Just been looking at the UKMO radar, an awfull heavy band of rain into Cornwall and Devon now?

No warnings out for N Ireland either, but all along the South coast and into East Anglia?

Have to admit, I like their new website (UKMO)

snaps wrote: »
    Just wondering if this storm (If you can call it that) is actually heading a bit more eastwards instead of north? Just been looking at the UKMO radar, an awfull heavy band of rain into Cornwall and Devon now?
    Crosses fingers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think sligo will see 40mm of rain in total

Midland areas possibly 60mm

South 50mm

East - Dublin 15 or 20mm

North - Belfast 10mm

I get a feeling disruption will be kept to a minimum if we avoid thunderstorms

As I said last night disruption is unlikely if we avoid thunderstorms forming. These deep lows all react the same driving rain quickly up across the country.

There's plenty time for it to up a gear yet, but for now it's nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Yeah, still a fair while for the heavy stuff to arrive....

(dynamically updating pic)
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

I seen the bbc weather@6.27 and it showed the heaviest pulse of rain over the southern half of Ireland then coming to stand still over the north west of the country for the night while remaining in intensity. However the met office do not have a warning out for N.Ireland yet and met.ie plus POD don't give that high of totals for the NW in regards to Munster and Connacht. I'm confused?

I seen the bbc weather@6.27 and it showed the heaviest pulse of rain over the southern half of Ireland then coming to stand still over the north west of the country for the night while remaining in intensity. However the met office do not have a warning out for N.Ireland yet and met.ie plus POD don't give that high of totals for the NW in regards to Munster and Connacht. I'm confused?

Going by the latest models the West looks to be the wettest part rather than the south (disruption wise, as everywhere looks like getting heavy spells)
    If I was to pick a spot for disruption I think it would have to be Athlone!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Going by the latest models the West looks to be the wettest part rather than the south (disruption wise, as everywhere looks like getting heavy spells)
    If I was to pick a spot for disruption I think it would have to be Athlone!

Thanks, could you tell me where I could check the latest precipitation models
    I don't have a notion,curious as to see what Donegal gets
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Latest HIRLAM (EMHI) keeping the heaviest of the rain a bit further west than the NAE as does the GFS. Interesting times ahead.

EMHI 6hr totals up to 1200 UTC tomrorrow:

207933.PNG

Image Source: http://meteo.physic.ut.ee/ilmatark/

Rest of run attached as panel image(too big to post directly)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement